How big is a universe?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xking

How big is a universe?

Post by xking » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 am

How big is a universe in dragonball? I see people saying it is only four galaxies.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How big is a universe?

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 am

Jaco said the universe has multiple galaxies including the Milky Way galaxy. You could have excused four galaxies previously but now it’s confirmed that there’re more than four galaxies.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:27 pm

We see some visuals but they're not exactly to scale. But we do see lots of galaxies.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 pm

xking wrote:How big is a universe in dragonball? I see people saying it is only four galaxies.
Meshack wrote:Jaco said the universe has multiple galaxies including the Milky Way galaxy. You could have excused four galaxies previously but now it’s confirmed that there’re more than four galaxies.
Substantially more than four, if episode 41 of DBS is any indicator:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Galan007 wrote:
xking wrote:How big is a universe in dragonball? I see people saying it is only four galaxies.
Meshack wrote:Jaco said the universe has multiple galaxies including the Milky Way galaxy. You could have excused four galaxies previously but now it’s confirmed that there’re more than four galaxies.
Substantially more than four, if episode 41 of DBS is any indicator:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
...Didn’t I say there were more than four?

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Meshack wrote:...Didn’t I say there were more than four?
Indeed you did. I was merely substantiating what you said with screen-caps from the anime... Because the imminent question would have been: "when/where was it confirmed?"

Relax. ;)

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Galan007 wrote:
Meshack wrote:...Didn’t I say there were more than four?
Indeed you did. I was merely substantiating what you said with screen-caps from the anime... Because the imminent question would have been: "when/where was it confirmed?"

Relax. ;)
Okay! I thought you didn’t understand what I said for some reason.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Meshack wrote:Okay! I thought you didn’t understand what I said for some reason.
:thumbup:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Well, if we go by the rule of one Supreme Kai for each "quadrant" of the Universe, and four Kais with four galaxies per quadrant (are the other Kais besides North Kai a thing in the manga continuity?) So if we assume the same rule of four per quadrant, then that would give use 16 galaxies per Universe. That's Universe 7 at least, there's no way of knowing if it's the same for all the others.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

A good compromise is that the 4 galaxies we know of are the large 'prime' galaxies filled with sentient lifeforms while all the other galaxies are the smaller 'lesser' galaxies without life or sentient life, that way there is an explanation as to why we haven't seen anymore Kaio or why the universe's population is comparatively small.
I would like to think that DB's universe is nowhere as big as our own, real life universe. Toriyama did design both the Dragonworld and Dragonverse to be quite simplistic and well defined, this concept hasn't necessarily been retconned as of yet. Unless he changes his mind again which is the basis for DBS, you never know.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Well, if we go by the rule of one Supreme Kai for each "quadrant" of the Universe, and four Kais with four galaxies per quadrant (are the other Kais besides North Kai a thing in the manga continuity?) So if we assume the same rule of four per quadrant, then that would give use 16 galaxies per Universe. That's Universe 7 at least, there's no way of knowing if it's the same for all the others.
Well Jaco said there were 'countless' galaxies, so unless Jaco can't count to 16 that's unlikely.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Well, if we go by the rule of one Supreme Kai for each "quadrant" of the Universe, and four Kais with four galaxies per quadrant (are the other Kais besides North Kai a thing in the manga continuity?) So if we assume the same rule of four per quadrant, then that would give use 16 galaxies per Universe. That's Universe 7 at least, there's no way of knowing if it's the same for all the others.
Quadrants aren’t mentioned in any material except the dub. We don’t know what the Kaiohshin watch over but it’s probably the living world and the afterlife. The Kaioh watch over the different areas which contain the countless galaxies.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Well Jaco said there were 'countless' galaxies, so unless Jaco can't count to 16 that's unlikely.
Indeed.

And iirc, his "countless" statement was just in reference to the amount of galaxies that are similar to the Milky Way... It wasn't even in reference to *every* galaxy in the universe.