Reactions to DBZ if it came out today

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Reactions to DBZ if it came out today

Post by DSB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DSB wrote:DB had the same problem remember? USA only likes mindless violence.(Cue shootouts) I think most people won't even understand the FT arc there.
I think the Trunks arc is where things will really pick up cause you have a fan favorite returning, an evil Goku as the villain and a noticeable improvment in quality so if that doesn't get people's interest then nothing will.
And then the ending will probably kill that enthusiasm :P
Didn't kill mine. It only made me more interested in super. I now live for the Sunday episodes

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:54 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:And then the ending will probably kill that enthusiasm :P
I think everything after is what's going to do that. Super went form the Trunks arc which was really good to 9 filler episodes then an arc (tournament of power) that just won't end and has nothing to justify its length.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Ya know, I plan on binging on Dragon Ball Z again, to see how well it holds up. The last time I watched the show from start to finish (about 5-6 years ago) I rated it a 9/10. I wonder if I will be making the similar complaints as the OP brought up. We'll see soon. :)

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:26 pm

DSB wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DSB wrote:It's a free rewatch. Nobody needs to buy anything to see it again.
They're both on at the same time. You could say that if Kai was on at 11 while Super on 3 or 4 bt it isn't, people are choosing to watch Kai and walk away from Super which is on right after. This isn't all the time but it shouldn't happen at all.
DB had the same problem remember? USA only likes mindless violence.(Cue shootouts) I think most people won't even understand the FT arc there.
So I’m super confused by your arguments. The whole reason you created this thread is that if Z released today than people would complain about the same things. You are of course assuming these people have seen it in the first place. They break down the demographics too, the younger than 18 crowd would have no way to watch the Dub Buu saga free in the last 20 years so they would be experiencing this all new and not having the issues you claim they would.

Look either way it’s typical that when evidence is presented you resort to making excuses, blaming it on nostalgia or some other reason when you didn’t even know it existed a few hours ago. Not making reasons to excuse it away without knowing anything about it. Geez come on man. The point is Z even being released today is not warning the title of “TRASH” that you claim. Now that your point is broken you resort to wild assumptions to save a sliver of your argument.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:23 pm

You forgot to mention:

"How the fuck is it that Piccolo fuse with Kami and be weaker than Imperfect Cell and yet Tenshinhan was able to Tri Beam SEMI Perfect Cell?!"

If THAT came out today, I know people would be absolutely outraged.

EDIT: I forgot, was Piccolo weaker or stronger than Imperfect Cell?
Caulifla best girl! :)

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You forgot to mention:

"How the fuck is it that Piccolo fuse with Kami and be weaker than Imperfect Cell and yet Tenshinhan was able to Tri Beam SEMI Perfect Cell?!"

If THAT came out today, I know people would be absolutely outraged.

EDIT: I forgot, was Piccolo weaker or stronger than Imperfect Cell?
Yikes.... piccolo was stronger, way stronger than even the androids or any of the SSJs. At that point in the story Piccolo was the strongest being in that arc.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 pm

I can't wait for a future arc of Super where Roshi takes on a resurrected Raditz who achieved Ultra Instinct by watching Goku do it while he was in hell.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:27 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I can't wait for a future arc of Super where Roshi takes on a resurrected Raditz who achieved Ultra Instinct by watching Goku do it while he was in hell.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

* breaths in *

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:59 am

TheMikado wrote:
DSB wrote:
sintzu wrote:
They're both on at the same time. You could say that if Kai was on at 11 while Super on 3 or 4 bt it isn't, people are choosing to watch Kai and walk away from Super which is on right after. This isn't all the time but it shouldn't happen at all.
DB had the same problem remember? USA only likes mindless violence.(Cue shootouts) I think most people won't even understand the FT arc there.
So I’m super confused by your arguments. The whole reason you created this thread is that if Z released today than people would complain about the same things. You are of course assuming these people have seen it in the first place. They break down the demographics too, the younger than 18 crowd would have no way to watch the Dub Buu saga free in the last 20 years so they would be experiencing this all new and not having the issues you claim they would.

Look either way it’s typical that when evidence is presented you resort to making excuses, blaming it on nostalgia or some other reason when you didn’t even know it existed a few hours ago. Not making reasons to excuse it away without knowing anything about it. Geez come on man. The point is Z even being released today is not warning the title of “TRASH” that you claim. Now that your point is broken you resort to wild assumptions to save a sliver of your argument.
No the trick of this topic thread is that if social media existed back in the day then people would complain about every exemple OP posted.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:30 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
DSB wrote:

No the trick of this topic thread is that if social media existed back in the day then people would complain about every exemple OP posted.
No you’re trying to blame social media. The opinions still proliferated throughout culture although not as quickly. People loved it and shared it with their friends both in person in forum and on online websites. The idea that a social media would suddenly cause a quality show to be spread negatively makes absolutely little sense when something like GT gained and spread negative opinions even during a similar time frame. You are trying to claim that social media is the source of negativity rather than the product itself which is foolish. GT shows that it will spread because of the product itself. Period. Social media is merely an conduit and a means not a cause. And the proliferation of negativity has little to do with the time/era/technology involved. Charles Dickens works stand on their own merits whether they be 18th century parchment or on a kindle. The idea that great work would be universal hated simply because of modern social media is incredibly self centered view. The world is bigger than the here and now and great art transcends time and geological locations. Even now Dragonball Z continues across the world decades after its release and even running in television. It’s a testament to its product and art.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 am

Indeed Mikado and people have been capable of sharing their thoughts online for quite the long time, even back ehen the show was ongoing.
viewtopic.php?t=36889
Here is s thread that links to an archive of usenet posts, where you can read what people at the time thought. Even then there were people in disbelief that some random new guy could be stronger than Freeza.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

TheMikado wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Indeed Mikado and people have been capable of sharing their thoughts online for quite the long time, even back ehen the show was ongoing.
viewtopic.php?t=36889
Here is s thread that links to an archive of usenet posts, where you can read what people at the time thought. Even then there were people in disbelief that some random new guy could be stronger than Freeza.
Hey yo.. got anything to say now, wise guy?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:11 pm

DSB wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Indeed Mikado and people have been capable of sharing their thoughts online for quite the long time, even back ehen the show was ongoing.
viewtopic.php?t=36889
Hey yo.. got anything to say now, wise guy?
The fact that you continually miss the point is astounding. No one said their was no negativity, as stated the response to Z was overall more positive. It has nothing to do with the time or technology. Rather than for the audiences Z is, was, and remains a quality product. This has nothing to do with being perfect as I already agreed with. Did you even bother to read the links AT ALL?!?!?!? Or did you just want to flap your gums about things you are ignorant of once again? Read the information to get a feeling of people’s attitudes towards Z at the time period when they were new and compare it to now.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

No you’re trying to blame social media. The opinions still proliferated throughout culture although not as quickly. People loved it and shared it with their friends both in person in forum and on online websites. The idea that a social media would suddenly cause a quality show to be spread negatively makes absolutely little sense when something like GT gained and spread negative opinions even during a similar time frame. You are trying to claim that social media is the source of negativity rather than the product itself which is foolish. GT shows that it will spread because of the product itself. Period. Social media is merely an conduit and a means not a cause. And the proliferation of negativity has little to do with the time/era/technology involved. Charles Dickens works stand on their own merits whether they be 18th century parchment or on a kindle. The idea that great work would be universal hated simply because of modern social media is incredibly self centered view. The world is bigger than the here and now and great art transcends time and geological locations. Even now Dragonball Z continues across the world decades after its release and even running in television. It’s a testament to its product and art.
Of course social media is to blame for the rise on negativity, but DSB posted here an exemple for Dragon Ball. The same can be applied to other media like Supergirl or let's say Stargate SG-1. Social Media allowed minorities to speak more louder than it seems and even allowed some shy people IRL to be more talkative throught Social media, I've read some studies how Social Media shaped todays society, it's fascinating.

Ohhhhhhh I would have loved to have social media when TV series like Highlander or Xena came out, for Xena I would have seen the homophobic come out spreading their hate toward Xena and Gabrielle and for Highlander all the Kevin History bitchin about the inaccuracy to some historical event, even though we will told them countless time that this is an Alternative World lol.

Social Media happen to have a strong importance in todays world that even brand and commercial product find interest in look at all the Youtuber that are paid to show product or make some promotion they impact a community, this said community follow them and some bunch of said community can't even think for themself.

As for Dragon Ball Z Frankly with my adult eyes I see so much flaw compared to other Shonen such as Hunter x Hunter in a narative way Dragon Ball Z and by extend Dragon Ball is far weaker. I think Dragon Ball Z would have seen more negativity thanks to the existence of Social Media.

Part of the negativity for Dragon Ball Super come from Social Media after all, through community who follow without construct their own view on the show people who Hate DBS for a reason, to summarize oh he doesn't like this so that must be bad. Deny importance of Social Media to how we view artworks it's fooling oneself.

You take in exemple Charles Dickens works but at that time, this kind of works was for Elit people, if at the time of Charles Dickens social media was a thing pretty sure that (and I'll sound a a bit cliché) some people with not so much general culture from working class, would have rant about Charles Dickens works. Not everyone have good education and have great IQ for being sensitive to an artwork.

Judging by oneself work of art, appreciate it and being able to criticize it is not something everyone can do. That's why hate bandwagon exist today because people tend to Judge artwork because someone we adore/love judge it bad.

Hope my explanation was good and well understood (english is not my mother language) hope my punctuation is also good as well as my grammar.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:36 pm

^ I feel like you've missed the point.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 pm

OPs post just comes off as extremely mad that DBS gets criticized and tried to "even the playing field"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Of course social media is to blame for the rise on negativity, but DSB posted here an exemple for Dragon Ball. The same can be applied to other media like Supergirl or let's say Stargate SG-1. Social Media allowed minorities to speak more louder than it seems and even allowed some shy people IRL to be more talkative throught Social media, I've read some studies how Social Media shaped todays society, it's fascinating.

Ohhhhhhh I would have loved to have social media when TV series like Highlander or Xena came out, for Xena I would have seen the homophobic come out spreading their hate toward Xena and Gabrielle and for Highlander all the Kevin History bitchin about the inaccuracy to some historical event, even though we will told them countless time that this is an Alternative World lol.

Social Media happen to have a strong importance in todays world that even brand and commercial product find interest in look at all the Youtuber that are paid to show product or make some promotion they impact a community, this said community follow them and some bunch of said community can't even think for themself.

As for Dragon Ball Z Frankly with my adult eyes I see so much flaw compared to other Shonen such as Hunter x Hunter in a narative way Dragon Ball Z and by extend Dragon Ball is far weaker. I think Dragon Ball Z would have seen more negativity thanks to the existence of Social Media.

Part of the negativity for Dragon Ball Super come from Social Media after all, through community who follow without construct their own view on the show people who Hate DBS for a reason, to summarize oh he doesn't like this so that must be bad. Deny importance of Social Media to how we view artworks it's fooling oneself.

You take in exemple Charles Dickens works but at that time, this kind of works was for Elit people, if at the time of Charles Dickens social media was a thing pretty sure that (and I'll sound a a bit cliché) some people with not so much general culture from working class, would have rant about Charles Dickens works. Not everyone have good education and have great IQ for being sensitive to an artwork.

Judging by oneself work of art, appreciate it and being able to criticize it is not something everyone can do. That's why hate bandwagon exist today because people tend to Judge artwork because someone we adore/love judge it bad.

Hope my explanation was good and well understood (english is not my mother language) hope my punctuation is also good as well as my grammar.
I certainly understand your perspective on this, however I continually state that the idea that social media affects the product such as taking it from a positive to a negative on an overall scale. Social media merely magnifies an already occurring social structure and shaping. It is not the cause. They very shows you describe had the same criticisms then as they do now. Social media is a magnifier not a cause.

I will explain this easily using the example of Charles Dickens since we are sticking with that.

There are a number of points which you are clearly wrong on. Charles Dickens was not for the rich, in fact his works were specifically deemed lower class due to their enjoyment. Further, he was heavily criticized then and now. In addition, much like Toriyama he is responsive to his audiences. Toriyama does write with his audience in mind, whether it is his subverting expectations and "trolling" or in other ways he does write with his audience in mind. I choose Dickens specifically because of the similarity as writers.
Dickens's literary success began with the 1836 serial publication of The Pickwick Papers. Within a few years he had become an international literary celebrity, famous for his humour, satire, and keen observation of character and society. His novels, most published in monthly or weekly instalments, pioneered the serial publication of narrative fiction, which became the dominant Victorian mode for novel publication.[4][5] The instalment format allowed Dickens to evaluate his audience's reaction, and he often modified his plot and character development based on such feedback.[5] For example, when his wife's chiropodist expressed distress at the way Miss Mowcher in David Copperfield seemed to reflect her disabilities, Dickens improved the character with positive features.[6] His plots were carefully constructed, and he often wove elements from topical events into his narratives.[7] Masses of the illiterate poor chipped in ha'pennies to have each new monthly episode read to them, opening up and inspiring a new class of readers.[8]

Dickens was regarded as the literary colossus of his age.[9] His 1843 novella, A Christmas Carol, remains popular and continues to inspire adaptations in every artistic genre. Oliver Twist and Great Expectations are also frequently adapted, and, like many of his novels, evoke images of early Victorian London. His 1859 novel, A Tale of Two Cities, set in London and Paris, is his best-known work of historical fiction. Dickens has been praised by fellow writers—from Leo Tolstoy to George Orwell and G. K. Chesterton—for his realism, comedy, prose style, unique characterisations, and social criticism. On the other hand, Oscar Wilde, Henry James, and Virginia Woolf complained of a lack of psychological depth, loose writing, and a vein of saccharine sentimentalism. The term Dickensian is used to describe something that is reminiscent of Dickens and his writings, such as poor social conditions or comically repulsive characters.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Dickens

Again these contrary attitudes have existed since the beginning of human existence. In all media for all writers. Social media is merely a modern magnifier of the work and product itself. It generally does not change the perception of a product from being good to bad or vice versa.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:38 am

When I first saw ssj Trunks slicing Freeza, all that went through my head was, awesome. The thought of how some new char is superior to Freeza only came to .e once I grew older. As a kid I could care less.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:56 am

buutenks wrote:When I first saw ssj Trunks slicing Freeza, all that went through my head was, awesome. The thought of how some new char is superior to Freeza only came to .e once I grew older. As a kid I could care less.
It's still awesome even today. A character coming out of nowhere, claiming he was a Saiyan then proving it even though we know for a fact that there weren't any left let alone someone that strong is nothing short of amazing. The difference between it and how Super introduced new Saiyans is that there was a logical explination behind him, he didn't just get a "tingly" back just because.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:54 am

sintzu wrote:
buutenks wrote:When I first saw ssj Trunks slicing Freeza, all that went through my head was, awesome. The thought of how some new char is superior to Freeza only came to .e once I grew older. As a kid I could care less.
It's still awesome even today. A character coming out of nowhere, claiming he was a Saiyan then proving it even though we know for a fact that there weren't any left let alone someone that strong is nothing short of amazing. The difference between it and how Super introduced new Saiyans is that there was a logical explination behind him, he didn't just get a "tingly" back just because.
Exactly, this “kid” who looks like a young man shows up wearing a Capsule Corp jacket and looking like Bulma. But super strong and goes SSJ and wields a F-ing SWORD. Ironically it a character like kale would be infinitely improved simply by having her master a weapons such as a whip. OMG if kale had a whip and retained her Broly like qualities she would be my favorite character of Super. Overall she would still suck but at least have something exceptionally unique amoung the Dragonball characters.