Super's feats and DBZ's feats

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's feats and DBZ's feats

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: I thought the cameraman said that he couldn't move the camera fast enough to track them.
And later people were shown watching the fight and thinking it was a movie. Damn, Toriyama :crazy:
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Omg, people and their real life math calculations applied to an infantile science fantasy setting.

Look, first and foremost saying Piccolo blasts are light speed relies on the assumption that the moon is exactly as far from Earth as it is in real life. And it's just that - a goddamn assumption.

If we applied real life physics to DB Super, throwing a single punch as a SSj Blue would turn Earth into a lava ball due to the force and the friction. And still, planetary arenas are still viable for some reason. You just have to suspend your disbelief instead of making dumbass, judger calculations based on real life physics rules and numerical values. Use your common sense to discern what assumptions can be made and what can't, for being utterly unreasonable.

If anything, calculations based on in-universe values should take precedence over real life stuff that for example Seth so likes (while not even stopping for a minute to think whether it even makes sense to call on these numbers in DB's setting, but I digress). Since Piccolo's power was around 400-something when he destroyed the moon, it means he was only 80 times stronger and faster than the average human being, in-universe (Farmer w/Shotgun's PL was 5). Even firing a rapid ki attack at that level of strength would never, ever reach light speed. That leaves you to conclude that the moon in DB has to be much smaller and much closer to Earth. Or if you choose to insist that the moon's just like in real life, then just accept the contradiction and suspend your disbelief and stop over-analyzing it, because considering all other factors and elements of portrayal, bar this possibly ill-considered instance, the fighters at that point in time were certainly not intended to be as fast as light in any shape or form.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Saturnine wrote:Omg, people and their real life math calculations applied to an infantile science fantasy setting.

Look, first and foremost saying Piccolo blasts are light speed relies on the assumption that the moon is exactly as far from Earth as it is in real life. And it's just that - a goddamn assumption.

If we applied real life physics to DB Super, throwing a single punch as a SSj Blue would turn Earth into a lava ball due to the force and the friction. And still, planetary arenas are still viable for some reason. You just have to suspend your disbelief instead of making dumbass, judger calculations based on real life physics rules and numerical values. Use your common sense to discern what assumptions can be made and what can't, for being utterly unreasonable.

If anything, calculations based on in-universe values should take precedence over real life stuff that for example Seth so likes (while not even stopping for a minute to think whether it even makes sense to call on these numbers in DB's setting, but I digress). Since Piccolo's power was around 400-something when he destroyed the moon, it means he was only 80 times stronger and faster than the average human being, in-universe (Farmer w/Shotgun's PL was 5). Even firing a rapid ki attack at that level of strength would never, ever reach light speed. That leaves you to conclude that the moon in DB has to be much smaller and much closer to Earth. Or if you choose to insist that the moon's just like in real life, then just accept the contradiction and suspend your disbelief and stop over-analyzing it, because considering all other factors and elements of portrayal, bar this possibly ill-considered instance, the fighters at that point in time were certainly not intended to be as fast as light in any shape or form.
In the manga and anime for example, the moon is artistically depicted as only 2000 miles from the Earth when observed from King Cold's ship. Which is quite weird because from one of his answers in a 1980's Q&A featured in the DB manga collections, Toriyama seems to actually know that the moon is over 200,000 miles from Earth when discussing the Nyoibo's journey to the moon. I guess he either forgot about this when drawing the Earth or just didn't care, either/or this revelation really shakes up the nature of the moon in DB.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 am

theherodjl wrote:In the manga and anime for example, the moon is artistically depicted as only 2000 miles from the Earth when observed from King Cold's ship. Which is quite weird because from one of his answers in a 1980's Q&A featured in the DB manga collections, Toriyama seems to actually know that the moon is over 200,000 miles from Earth when discussing the Nyoibo's journey to the moon. I guess he either forgot about this when drawing the Earth or just didn't care, either/or this revelation really shakes up the nature of the moon in DB.
Or since they are depicted to be so close to one another and still retain the real life distance(because of course Toriyama is infallible both in art and statements!), that must mean the Earth and the Moon are actually far bigger than in real life :shock:
Guess we've been grossly underestimating DB characters all along 8)

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:00 am

dbgtFO wrote:Or since they are depicted to be so close to one another and still retain the real life distance(because of course Toriyama is infallible both in art and statements!), that must mean the Earth and the Moon are actually far bigger than in real life :shock:
Guess we've been grossly underestimating DB characters all along 8)
No wait! Remember how DB was stated to have only 4 galaxies with countless planets so it meant that DB's galaxies were nearly the size of universes themselves? Well since DBS introduced countless more galaxies then it means that a universe in DB is actually the size of a multiverse! Goku & Beerus almost destroyed the universal so it means that Goku is a confirmed multiverse buster just with SSJG! With UI he can probably bust an omniverse and move hundreds of quintillions of times faster than light! Akira Toriyama created the most powerful characters in all of fiction! Krillin alone could solo Marvel & DC!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!1!
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Saturnine wrote:Look, first and foremost saying Piccolo blasts are light speed relies on the assumption that the moon is exactly as far from Earth as it is in real life. And it's just that - a goddamn assumption.
It isn't an assumption. In an interview some fan asked how many KMs the NyoiBo could reach, and Akira Toriyama replied something like "well, if it got to the moon then it at least can reach ~380,000 km", that is, he considered the distance between the Earth and the Moon as something consistent to the Dragon Ball world. I can't check right now, but it's an interview to either volume 9, 10, 11 or 12.

Also, I don't know if you payed attention when reading the thread, but I didn't say the DB characters are light speed, faster than light or anything like this. I recognised that some feats do imply it, but then also did recognise that there're contradictions within the same series, to which some people could decide not to go with what was implied in such feats and treat then as outliers. So, before doing an unfortunate, moronic comment like this one, I'd suggest trying to read the OP more carefully and at least trying to understand such person's intention.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Moronic? Goddamn is this thread cancer. I'll just opt out, you guys have fun.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Saturnine wrote:Moronic? Goddamn is this thread cancer. I'll just opt out, you guys have fun.
When base God Goku hit Krillin he was knocked across the country. When he hit Monaka he wasn't even moved. Monaka > Krillin.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147