What would Cell have been like without Freeza's cells?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TruDovah

What would Cell have been like without Freeza's cells?

Post by TruDovah » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Here's a good "What If"!
How different do you think Cell would have been if he did not have any of Frieza's cells in him?
Interesting thought to posit...

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: What would Cell have been like without Freeza's cells?

Post by Pantalones » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Probably wouldn't have the black "gem-like" design elements, since those seem to come exclusively from Freeza and King Cold's cells (those purple crystal things on various points of his final form's body, and the head of previous forms.) Without Freeza's abilities he wouldn't be able to survive in space, either, so he most likely wouldn't threaten to destroy the planet until Gohan humiliated him and made him resort to self-destructing.

His overall appearance might shift more toward Saiyan/Namekian hybrid, too, since without Freeza those cells would be the most powerful in his makeup by far. He'd still have some buggy features like his stinger-tail and the Imperfect form's weird mouth, since he would still contain the cells of "other lifeforms" such as insects along with those of strong fighters, but I imagine his feet wouldn't be shaped like Freeza's in his Imperfect form and he might have hair, and maybe even Namekian-type pointy ears or antennae -- now that I think about it, didn't at least one of Toriyama's unused design sketches for Cell include spiky hair?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:38 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Some of the concept images above there. Yeah, it looks like one of them did appear to have hair. Quite a striking human resemblance there. It's possible that would have been what Cell looked like since his genetic makeup would have been comprised of just Saiyans and Namekians. Forget the plate-like accessories on the chest and head like someone else explained.

I could see Cell still allowing his rage to get the better of him like it did Vegeta in the Saiyan arc by attempting to blow up the planet once pushed into a corner. It should still pan out largely the same with a few differences like Cell consciously refraining from trying to include the Earth as collateral damage in his Kamehameha against Goku because he still had his wits about him at that point. You also wouldn't be seeing the Death Beam get utilised against Gohan so Cell would have to use something else to keep the young Saiyan on his toes. Also, you could probably expect a more grotesque scene once Gohan's Kamehameha envelops him up in the air as it's likely parts of his skull and brain would be blown away. Could Cell even regenerate to the degree that he was shown to be capable of without Freeza's vitality? Good question right there.

The biggest difference might be Cell's final Kamehameha against an injured Gohan. Arrogant or not, he wouldn't be so egotistical in his survivability to allow the planet to be destroyed. His intention would be to annihilate Gohan. Who knows where he goes from there. Acquire a spaceship to escape the planet before destroying the core like Freeza did with Namek? Use Instant Transmission to teleport off? This hypothetical does make for some interesting butterflies. It's possible Gohan wouldn't have been given as much time for Goku to encourage him since Cell would only be charging his blast up enough to obliterate his opponent while keeping the planet in-tact.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am

He would of been a lot weaker and been much more likely to join the Z fighters since his personality would have been more manageable.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:29 pm

I've always wondered that same question, since I assumed that the least altered timelines in Dragon Ball may have given Dr. Gero reasonable time to collect cells from Frieza during his fight when Goku returned from space.

When Trunks shows up, he quickly kills him and incinerates his body. How could Dr. Gero have had time and speed to collect a sample from Frieza?
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Esfír Dedragón wrote:I've always wondered that same question, since I assumed that the least altered timelines in Dragon Ball may have given Dr. Gero reasonable time to collect cells from Frieza during his fight when Goku returned from space.

When Trunks shows up, he quickly kills him and incinerates his body. How could Dr. Gero have had time and speed to collect a sample from Frieza?
Good question. It's faint and damaged, but you can make out some charred residue descending from the area where Trunks destroyed Freeza's body.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Not sure how much DNA you would be able to extract from some flimsy bits of charred dispersing bodily residue like that. You're looking at fourth degree burns there, if not worse. Gero would have been better off collecting cells from Cold's remains. The king should possess the same genetic material as his son, right? We don't know the exact means of reproduction for Freeza's species but the father would at least carry 50% of it. Plus, just look at what was left behind.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Much of the tail still appears to be in-tact. Toriyama could have easily rationalised Gero's acquisition of Freeza's cells from that. Granted, it wouldn't be directly from Freeza himself but close enough.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:14 pm

We'll given that Cell has clearly been designed, he's not just a slapped-dash abomination, my best guess is that he'd be like Vegito but with Vegeta's more evil characteristic at the for and tempered by some of Piccolo's personality.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:59 am

dragon boss z wrote:He would of been a lot weaker and been much more likely to join the Z fighters since his personality would have been more manageable.
I agree with this. He will be much more like pre-Gohan piccolo.

He would have been defeated by Goku at cell games, and would be left alive. He will train to surpass and kill Goku. When Babidi comes, all of them are overpowered by Dabura, and need to combine their efforts to defeat him. However, Buu is recharged. This makes for a vastly different buu saga/

He still had King cold's cells, didn't he? So he should still be able to survive in vacuum.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

apex_pretador wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:He would of been a lot weaker and been much more likely to join the Z fighters since his personality would have been more manageable.

He would have been defeated by Goku at cell games, and would be left alive. He will train to surpass and kill Goku. When Babidi comes, all of them are overpowered by Dabura, and need to combine their efforts to defeat him. However, Buu is recharged. This makes for a vastly different buu saga/

He still had King cold's cells, didn't he? So he should still be able to survive in vacuum.
Why wouldn't they be able to defeat Dabura? I'm pretty sure Goku could of beat him with regular ssj.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
apex_pretador wrote:

Why wouldn't they be able to defeat Dabura? I'm pretty sure Goku could of beat him with regular ssj.
DBS manga confirmed that Dabura was much closer to SS2 level than SS1 level

It means that Gohan was SS2 against him.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 pm

apex_pretador wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
apex_pretador wrote: I agree with this. He will be much more like pre-Gohan piccolo.

DBS manga confirmed that Dabura was much closer to SS2 level than SS1 level

It means that Gohan was SS2 against him.
I agree Gohan was ssj2 against him, but Goku was much stronger than Gohan and Trunks won easily in ssj2. I would say at the very least ssj Goku and ssj Vegeta together should have it pretty much covered.