If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: That or people take DBA seriously. That is just a fan parody of the show and some people that to be the truth. I would make jokes about this topic but I'm never serious about it. This is the something as Piccolo is Gohan's true father thing that came DBA as well.
True. My cousin, who is about 5 years younger then I am, got into the Dragon Ball franchise recently, including Super.

But rather then watch DBZ or DBZ Kai along with DBZA, he sticks with DBZ Abridged, only. So, yeah. I've seen that kind of thing before. :(
I have a watched all the Dragon Ball shows in both English and Japanese in my life and I'm not that old. People need to stop being lazy and watch the show and don't relay on parodies to get your facts from.
Especially with it so readily available all over the internet.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote: True. My cousin, who is about 5 years younger then I am, got into the Dragon Ball franchise recently, including Super.

But rather then watch DBZ or DBZ Kai along with DBZA, he sticks with DBZ Abridged, only. So, yeah. I've seen that kind of thing before. :(
I have a watched all the Dragon Ball shows in both English and Japanese in my life and I'm not that old. People need to stop being lazy and watch the show and don't relay on parodies to get your facts from.
Especially with it so readily available all over the internet.
I know right. You can watch it in DVDs, Dragon Boxs, on the Internet, and so many more places. At this point, there should be no excuse to get your hands on the show and watch it. It only took me 1 year to watch Dragon Ball, Z, GT, and all the movies during my first time watching it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm

Not to mention Kai, which for the dub fixes a lot of problems and makes the show way more digestible!

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:03 am

Khandom101 wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:Goku's family life might be unconventional but let's not act like he's a selfish man who doesn't love anybody. He was ready to give up against Beerus, until he saw a vision of Chi Chi screaming for him. Then his next vision was everybody else at once. Meaning Chi Chi by herself takes precedence over Kuririn, both his sons, his master, and Vegeta, and the rest of his friends, not to mention himself, all at once. Goku's spirit and battle lust had run out by that point, he knew Beerus was much too powerful. It was the vision of Chi Chi that gave him the will power to surpass his limits and summon Super Saiyan God at will.

Goku is like a puppy. He doesn't necessarily need others to be around to be happy, if something catches his interest, he'll leave. But never doubt his ultimate devotion to those he loves.
You do know that the scenario your talking about never happened in the anime right.
It happened in BoG.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:22 pm

I don't think he would because there's one reason...He would mistake it for food like he did with the word marriage in the original DB.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:13 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Khandom101 wrote: You do know that the scenario your talking about never happened in the anime right.
It happened in the movie, which for all intents and purpose was the original version of that arc. (We have *THREE* versions of Battle of Gods now, ffs).

And absolutely not. I never understood comments like
BlueVegerot wrote:my headcanon is that goku only puts up with chichi cause of goten. Thats why EoZ when goten is nearly 18 and can do his own thing, goku fucks off with uub.
this. I honestly believe Goku loves Chichi and he's not some one-note moron like TFS and (sometimes) Super portrays him as who only thinks about fighting.
I agree. Goku does care about his family and friends, he does care about his wife and he is also used to live with her so I don't think he'd leave Chichi.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:49 am

Why the hell would he do that? Goku's shown in Super that he cares for his wife and sons, enough to snap against Black and Zamasu. He's also admitted to Vegeta that he likes the strong-willed side of Chi-Chi. Goku has also never, ever displayed any animosity or hatred towards Chi-Chi as far as I can recall, and why would he? She cooks for him, cleans for him, takes care of his sons, and is willing to put up with his selfish/neglectful nature. And while Goku may not view marriage in the traditional sense, he's lucky to have someone like Chi-Chi as his wife. Goku may be a good person at heart, but he's a horrible father and husband, and I'm sure most modern women in this day and age would divorce his ass.

It was only really the Z anime that made such a big deal over Chi-Chi being such an overbearing "banshee" for supposedly humorous purposes (I personally never found that entertaining), but unfortunately that seems to the main reference a lot of vehement Chi-Chi haters use to bash her character.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:08 am

Goku is awful husband and even worse father, but he would never left Chi Chi.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:15 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Goku is awful husband and even worse father.
Wrong on both accounts.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Goku doesn't know what divorce means. That should be the end for this thread.

Also, OP, divorce is for normal people. If Goku wanted to leave Chi chi, he'd have gone long ago. He doesn't need to apply some divorce papers. He just flies off to whereever he feels like it.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:34 am

Khandom101 wrote:the screeching old hag
The name-calling multiple times is really unnecessary, especially considering that this is a fictional character.

I know that she is an animated person, but you do realize that most of Chi-chi's personality traits do exist out there with women in other cultures... right? Even in the U.S., you won't have to go too far out of the way to see that East/Southeast Asian families/mothers carry over all of their traditions -- thousands of years of traditions mind you -- when they migrate over. Perhaps it's my own exposure to that lifestyle by proxy for most of my life that leaves me not understanding why some call-out Chi-chi for being an overbearing wife/mother. In the real world, most of these "screeching old hag" types work 60+ hours a week, and then come home to cook and see that their child/children are on top of their studies every night, for their long-term future. It's called love and devotion to family. It's called discipline, honoring oneself, and seeing the bigger picture. Gohan not getting to play on his iPad for fourteen hours a day doesn't make Chi-chi a "nagging, screeching,etc." mother/wife/character. While this is a character that exists in media, try to be mindful that there are women out there (millions and millions!) that aren't too far from being a Chi-chi -- I've seen it many-a-year on an almost daily basis. But, they are also the most strong-willed and gracious women that you (general you) could ever know. The Chi-chi character is an over-exaggeration of the traditional East Asian wife/mother -- that's obvious to anyone. But that's intentional. Plus, she's a martial artist -- how awesome is that... ?!

I also disagree with anyone about Goku being a not-so-great husband/father -- look at what's happening in this series!. He can admit that he's selfish when being so. Even looking on the surface of the Goku character, the events that take place in that universe (life-ending threats abound at any time) are way beyond our own realm. I'm probably one of the rare ones that really likes the Goku/Chi-chi relationship, and it makes the super-rare moments that they actually do show any affection for each other that much sweeter.

In short, many kids/young adults these days could use a Chi-chi in their lives. :)

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:15 pm

buutenks wrote:Goku doesn't know what divorce means. That should be the end for this thread.

Also, OP, divorce is for normal people. If Goku wanted to leave Chi chi, he'd have gone long ago. He doesn't need to apply some divorce papers. He just flies off to whereever he feels like it.
This right here should be enough to debunk any of the crazy claims that Goku doesn't love Chi Chi. He enjoys living with her a lot, she's very nice to him and cooks all his favorite foods, but he's also genuinely attracted to her feisty and strong will, as Vegeta explained. Goku will leave the instant he stops enjoying himself... yet the vast, vast majority of his life since getting married (like 90/100) has been spent with her.

He did spend a significant portion of his life dead (now that's an oxymoron that only DBZ can provide) but that shouldn't count... he was DEAD.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:46 pm

nickzambuto wrote:He did spend a significant portion of his life dead (now that's an oxymoron that only DBZ can provide)
That's one for the quote book!

(although to be perfectly honest the fact that the afterlife is shown in detail with lots of goings-ons kinda ruins the dramatic impact of characters dying)

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Divorce Chi Chi and go with who? The only other woman to show any interest in him was Bulma and that literally only lasted a single panel.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Gligarman wrote:Divorce Chi Chi and go with who? The only other woman to show any interest in him was Bulma and that literally only lasted a single panel.
The anime capitalized on the cute looks Suno gave him, but who knows if Goku remembers her!

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Gligarman wrote:Divorce Chi Chi and go with who? The only other woman to show any interest in him was Bulma and that literally only lasted a single panel.
The anime capitalized on the cute looks Suno gave him, but who knows if Goku remembers her!
I had to google that. Goku ain't remembering that name for suureee

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Onibaku wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I had to google that. Goku ain't remembering that name for suureee
I'm a big OG DB fan so I remember her quite well. She was cute! But I don't think Goku would enjoy the cold weather.

I also have this personal in-joke that when Goku is fighting Frieza or something in DBZ and then we cut to Suno in her bedroom looking out the window all like "Gee, I hope Goku is alright!", since that happened a lot in the Muscle Tower arc.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm

If he leaves Chi-Chi he better get with Yajirobe. They made a great couple!

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:42 pm

well ...

Since Saiyans are supposed to have no affection for family or friends, does this actually make Vegeta, who holds his family and wife dear, an even stranger (kinder) Saiyan than Goku?
Vegeta, whose pride had been deeply wounded, sought help from Bulma, and little by little, his ruthless personality changed. Nowadays, you certainly might be able to say that. On the other hand, Goku might not have a sense of family members like Gohan and Chi-Chi except as one of his companions.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... -super-qa/
Jackalope89 wrote:Saw the "Goku divorce Chichi".
Rolled eyes in anticipation.
Slightly surprised OP didn't throw in GokuxCaulifla in there (would not have been the first time).
since it was touched the subject ...
I think that that would be the only possible reason for something like this to happen and that is that goku falls in love with someone else. if it would not be unlikely