If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am

Well, from my personal point of view yes, he would divorce her. My reasoning is that I think Goku's asexual and personally he has no attachment to his wife other than the children they spawned together. They have a very unhealthy relationship in the series and have nothing personal in common. If I were Toriyama, I would have had Goku divorce Chi Chi (the screeching old hag) a long time ago. What do you guys think? Would Goku divorce Chi Chi?
Last edited by Khandom101 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 am

Considering he went on a rampage when Black revealed what he had done to another timeline's Chi Chi (and Goten), i would argue Goku does care about his wife.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Considering he went on a rampage when Black revealed what he had done to another timeline's Chi Chi (and Goten), i would argue Goku does care about his wife.
He would have done same if it were any of his friends who got murdered such as krillin, Roshi and etc. He cares for his son no doubt as far as his wife goes nah he doesn't give a shit.
Last edited by Khandom101 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 am

Considering how little Toriyama cares about explaining the reasoning behind and showcasing any real amount of romance, I can't for the life of me imagine him dedicating any amount of brain space to splitting anyone apart for... reasons?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 am

VegettoEX wrote:Considering how little Toriyama cares about explaining the reasoning behind and showcasing any real amount of romance, I can't for the life of me imagine him dedicating any amount of brain space to splitting anyone apart for... reasons?
Well, one can dream I guess.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:18 pm

If he were to he would have done so years ago, like the gap leading up to the Android's arrival, or the gap before the End of Z. To me Goku is a go with the flow kinda guy, particularly when it comes to romance.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:31 pm

KBABZ wrote:If he were to he would have done so years ago, like the gap leading up to the Android's arrival, or the gap before the End of Z. To me Goku is a go with the flow kinda guy, particularly when it comes to romance.
Romance is a foreign concept for someone such as Goku and nor do I think would he care.
Like I said I just want Goku to divorce that dusty old bat and be done with it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

I don't think Goku, of all people, would put that much investment into his marriage to take that option into possible account.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm

I don't think there's the necessary animosity or disinterest between them for a divorce to happen.

The only way I can see a split is Goku getting widower'd if Chi-Chi dies of old age or a disease.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Chuquita wrote:I don't think there's the necessary animosity or disinterest between them for a divorce to happen.

The only way I can see a split is Goku getting widower'd if Chi-Chi dies of old age or a disease.
Nah, still though I think Toriyama made a mistake having Goku marry that pompous old hag.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Relationships between rural types tend to last long after the passion dies out, if it was ever there to begin with. It's all for convenience, since it's easier to keep it going than it is to find something new, especially at Goku and Chi Chi's ages.

So yeah, Goku would never divorce Chi Chi because he's a big country boy. "I do t' farming, she do t' cooking, I go out to train wit t' lads, she stays at home watching that 'West City's Got Talent'."

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:02 pm

If by chance you mean, come across a better cook/mother than her, then yes.

Otherwise he'd never to that to his family. He cares for them, even if it's rather unconventional.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Relationships between rural types tend to last long after the passion dies out, if it was ever there to begin with. It's all for convenience, since it's easier to keep it going than it is to find something new, especially at Goku and Chi Chi's ages.

So yeah, Goku would never divorce Chi Chi because he's a big country boy. "I do t' farming, she do t' cooking, I go out to train wit t' lads, she stays at home watching that 'West City's Got Talent'."
That is kinda true even though we know it's chi chi who's pushing him to do farming not that he is doing it out his own personal desire.
Last edited by Khandom101 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:15 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:If by chance you mean, come across a better cook/mother than her, then yes.

Otherwise he'd never to that to his family. He cares for them, even if it's rather unconventional.
In my personal opinion Goku loves his children but is rather less passionate towards his own wife. I don't think he would care much even if she were to die.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Khandom101 wrote:Romance is a foreign concept for someone such as Goku and nor do I think would he care.
Like I said I just want Goku to divorce that dusty old bat and be done with it.
Well I think we know where the bias is here!

I agree that Goku doesn't have a really good idea as to what romance is exactly, but he does know that caring about someone is very important, and IMO he was thinking of her feelings when he decided to marry her. The anime in particular took strides to make Goku and Chi-Chi feel like an amicable couple; they had a great moment together after he recovered from the heart virus, and the thought of Frieza killing Chi-Chi (among other things) motivated him when Frieza attempted to drown him on Namek.

It is worth pointing out that the whole nagging overbearing wife isn't seen as so odd in Japan and in Dragon Ball is mostly played for comedy, so there's a bit of values dissonance at play here. That said I agree in the dislike of her character; I much prefer her depiction at the 23rd Tournament over all of Z (at least up until Buu where she mellows out again, thank goodness).

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Well, the series shows exactly the opposite but you already told that you don't care about facts.

Even if so Goku doesn't need a chance- he can leave every moment, but for some reason he decided to stay. Not all marriages are about passionate love and they often turn to be OK.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:28 am

Khandom101 wrote:Well, from my personal point of view yes, he would divorce her. My reasoning is that I think Goku's asexual and personally he has no attachment to his wife other than the children they spawned together. They have a very unhealthy relationship in the series and have nothing personal in common. If I were Toriyama, I would have had Goku divorce Chi Chi (the screeching old hag) a long time ago. What do you guys think? Would Goku divorce Chi Chi?
“...have nothing personal in common.” Did you forget anything about the series because I believe you did. We don’t see what happens in their every day life. We only see what happens when a terrible threat comes around to end the world. Gokuh is not asexual and he would not divorce Chi-Chi. He even says he likes Chi-Chi to Vegeta. Also, we knkw from Toriyama that Saiyans don’t have a sense of family and kinda sorta what Gokuh has, Toriyama saying he thinks of Chi-Chi, Gohan, and Goten as companions. Gokuh and Chi-Chi are fine together

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Considering he went on a rampage when Black revealed what he had done to another timeline's Chi Chi (and Goten), i would argue Goku does care about his wife.
I think he really views her as a "friend" rather than a normal Human standard of romance. I think it's more appropriate standard, at his age, he knows marriage by "definition" but isn't very Human when it comes to family if that makes sense.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:20 pm

No, he wouldn't. At least according to DBS' manga, Goku stated he loves that "strong-willed" side of Chi-Chi (and so does Vegeta about Bulma), so that side doesn't bother Goku:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 pm

I think goku and chi chi do love each other but they don't express it in a conventional way. I don't think goku would ever truly leave chi chi, he might leave from time to time but he would always come back. If some one were to ask goku that I'm pretty sure his answer would be along the lines of "What? Nah I why would I want to that"
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: