The original Super Saiyan revealed!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The original Super Saiyan revealed!

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:16 pm

CashmanX wrote:I'm starting to think that Yamoshi was only the original Super Saiyan and there was another set of 6 Saiyans that channeled him and his comrades years later, leading to the first Super Saiyan God. :think:
That's exactly what happened. Toriyama said that Yamoshi transformed into Super Saiyan when Saiyans were still in planet Sadala, Movie 14/Shenlong specifically said that the original Super Saiyan God appeared in planet Vegeta.

Obviously Yamoshi was dead by the time the original Super Saiyan God appeared. I... Don't know what's so difficult to understand this (I'm talking in general, it seems a lot of people didn't get this already).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Grimlock wrote:
CashmanX wrote:I'm starting to think that Yamoshi was only the original Super Saiyan and there was another set of 6 Saiyans that channeled him and his comrades years later, leading to the first Super Saiyan God. :think:
That's exactly what happened. Toriyama said that Yamoshi transformed into Super Saiyan when Saiyans were still in planet Sadala, Movie 14/Shenlong specifically said that the original Super Saiyan God appeared in planet Vegeta.

Obviously Yamoshi was dead by the time the original Super Saiyan God appeared. I... Don't know what's so difficult to understand this (I'm talking in general, it seems a lot of people didn't get this already).
I know and it’s frustrating.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Meshack wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

I know and it’s frustrating.
I think it'd help to make a sort of "timeline chart" for the original Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God as an image and spread it around to help keep the record straight.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 am

So...

Becoming a Super Saiyan requires a high midichlorian count.

What a bunch of crap.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:33 am

Zillamon51 wrote:So...

What a bunch of crap.
Did you not read the rest of the thread? You also need a calm heart, enough S-Cells (aka you need to work towards it) and a REALLY bad day to trigger your first one (as always).

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:02 am

What a bunch of crap.
Why is that a bunch of crap care to explain ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:09 am

What a bunch of crap.
Did you manage to skip the entire last page or even this page? We talked about this

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm

Meshack wrote:
nato25 wrote:So then how did Vegeta achieve SSJ? I may be getting confused by the dub, but are 'pure' and righteous the same thing?
Vegeta achieved Super Saiyan because of self-loathing which is hatred or anger at oneself. Vegeta had the high battle power and he was on earth, which is a good environment. Though he wasn’t gentle, he was still able to become Super Saiyan. To become Super Saiyan, you need enough S-cells. Being gentle, having a high battle power, and a gentle environment can give you more S-cells. Saiyans are born with S-cells, some more than others. If you need, let's say 8000 S-cells to become a Super Saiyan, Vegeta gets a lot of S-cells from being born of royalty (stronger than his father), trained as a child which results in high battle power, and he was on earth when he became a Super Saiyan which is a good enough. That was probably enough S-cells to allow Vegeta to become Super Saiyan. Though Vegeta was not gentle at the time, he could still transform.

Righteousness is being morally right or good. Pure means you have no guilt, sexual desires, or anything like that.
The "righteous,peaceful & gentle" requirements are the only things that bug me about this. Because, that is a personality that contradicts what a Super Saiyan originally was. Just raw determined might, not symbol of heroism. It just doesn't make sense for Vegeta when the whole reason he went Majin was because he thought he didn't get stronger from peace, as peace to a Saiyan is boring. Though Toriyama just seems to be on this recent push to push the Sayians into sounding innately heroic rather than just having Goku's descendants the exception and I don't like these requirements being so one-sided and tailored for U6 this way. Now they just don't need real character development. How would Yamoshi even become a Super Saiyan if U7's Saiyans were never peaceful? Why would they be if they instinctively love to fight and very primitive?

Being pure-hearted was a lot more open-ended as Vegeta explains you can be pure evil or good, so long as your mind is centered without doubts and clear self-actualization. I saw that explanation as like enlightenment. It only made sense for Goku because he can easily focus his mind on a goal without hesitation and the anger narrowed his mind into the need to get stronger. While Vegeta being a thinker is often consumed by ego or jealousy which made his mind unclear. Just like how Gohan was always held back because he could never retain a hold a clear/focused mind with him always being afraid. That used to make more sense. Not this new sentiment.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:37 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Meshack wrote:
nato25 wrote:So then how did Vegeta achieve SSJ? I may be getting confused by the dub, but are 'pure' and righteous the same thing?
Vegeta achieved Super Saiyan because of self-loathing which is hatred or anger at oneself. Vegeta had the high battle power and he was on earth, which is a good environment. Though he wasn’t gentle, he was still able to become Super Saiyan. To become Super Saiyan, you need enough S-cells. Being gentle, having a high battle power, and a gentle environment can give you more S-cells. Saiyans are born with S-cells, some more than others. If you need, let's say 8000 S-cells to become a Super Saiyan, Vegeta gets a lot of S-cells from being born of royalty (stronger than his father), trained as a child which results in high battle power, and he was on earth when he became a Super Saiyan which is a good enough. That was probably enough S-cells to allow Vegeta to become Super Saiyan. Though Vegeta was not gentle at the time, he could still transform.

Righteousness is being morally right or good. Pure means you have no guilt, sexual desires, or anything like that.
The "righteous,peaceful & gentle" requirements are the only things that bug me about this. Because, that is a personality that contradicts what a Super Saiyan originally was. Just raw determined might, not symbol of heroism. It just doesn't make sense for Vegeta when the whole reason he went Majin was because he thought he didn't get stronger from peace, as peace to a Saiyan is boring. Though Toriyama just seems to be on this recent push to push the Sayians into sounding innately heroic rather than just having Goku's descendants the exception and I don't like these requirements being so one-sided and tailored for U6 this way. Now they just don't need real character development. How would Yamoshi even become a Super Saiyan if U7's Saiyans were never peaceful? Why would they be if they instinctively love to fight and very primitive?

Being pure-hearted was a lot more open-ended as Vegeta explains you can be pure evil or good, so long as your mind is centered without doubts and clear self-actualization. I saw that explanation as like enlightenment. It only made sense for Goku because he can easily focus his mind on a goal without hesitation and the anger narrowed his mind into the need to get stronger. While Vegeta being a thinker is often consumed by ego or jealousy which made his mind unclear. Just like how Gohan was always held back because he could never retain a hold a clear/focused mind with him always being afraid. That used to make more sense. Not this new sentiment.
You don’t need to be gentle to become a Super Saiyan. A gentle soul increases the number of S-Cells a Saiyan has that can help them become Super Saiyan. Also, it’s nothing new. Gokuh said he had a gentle/calm soul when he became Super Saiyan. So did Vegeta but he said it was purely evil.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Meshack wrote:You don’t need to be gentle to become a Super Saiyan. A gentle soul increases the number of S-Cells a Saiyan has that can help them become Super Saiyan. Also, it’s nothing new. Gokuh said he had a gentle/calm soul when he became Super Saiyan. So did Vegeta but he said it was purely evil.
Which logically explains why Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan so easily in comparison to Vegeta, who is not a calm and relaxed person at the best of times and thus really struggled to attain it.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:31 am

KBABZ wrote:
Meshack wrote:You don’t need to be gentle to become a Super Saiyan. A gentle soul increases the number of S-Cells a Saiyan has that can help them become Super Saiyan. Also, it’s nothing new. Gokuh said he had a gentle/calm soul when he became Super Saiyan. So did Vegeta but he said it was purely evil.
Which logically explains why Goku transformed into a Super Saiyan so easily in comparison to Vegeta, who is not a calm and relaxed person at the best of times and thus really struggled to attain it.
Yeah, but he did achieve it by being calm, but “purely evil”.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 am

Meshack wrote: You don’t need to be gentle to become a Super Saiyan. A gentle soul increases the number of S-Cells a Saiyan has that can help them become Super Saiyan. Also, it’s nothing new. Gokuh said he had a gentle/calm soul when he became Super Saiyan. So did Vegeta but he said it was purely evil.
And why exactly would that be? Why would being gentle increase your S-Cells when the Saiyan biology is wired to fighting and respond to self-preservation? It sounds arbitrary. How does anger awaken that intense power when its contradicting pacifism? Calmness and gentleness aren't inherently the same.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 am

I don't see why a person's nature and personality would have any affect on their physiology. It seems like AT is pulling stiff from out his backside again. That's like my body suddenly producing more white blood cells because i am "gentle". It is nonsensical

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 am

Random head-canon: I'm beginning to suspect that Yamoshi is Bardock under an alter-ego. Would be a nice connection because that means in BoG he was spiritually present for Goku ascending to SSG, similar to how Goku was for Gohan attaining SS2.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:26 am

AvatarReiko wrote:I don't see why a person's nature and personality would have any affect on their physiology. It seems like AT is pulling stiff from out his backside again. That's like my body suddenly producing more white blood cells because i am "gentle". It is nonsensical
That’s not the same. You can’t increase your white blood cells at least because of your soul. The series itself was created by Toriyama so he can do whatever he wants with it.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 am

KBABZ wrote:Random head-canon: I'm beginning to suspect that Yamoshi is Bardock under an alter-ego. Would be a nice connection because that means in BoG he was spiritually present for Goku ascending to SSG, similar to how Goku was for Gohan attaining SS2.
I think we had enough of Barduck.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:27 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Meshack wrote: You don’t need to be gentle to become a Super Saiyan. A gentle soul increases the number of S-Cells a Saiyan has that can help them become Super Saiyan. Also, it’s nothing new. Gokuh said he had a gentle/calm soul when he became Super Saiyan. So did Vegeta but he said it was purely evil.
And why exactly would that be? Why would being gentle increase your S-Cells when the Saiyan biology is wired to fighting and respond to self-preservation? It sounds arbitrary. How does anger awaken that intense power when its contradicting pacifism? Calmness and gentleness aren't inherently the same.
According to the word odayaka, gentle and calm are the same thing. Odayaka is used when describing the soul of Gokuh and Vegeta when they became Super Saiyan. Toriyama uses the same word in the interview. Your soul can be calm but you can have a heart for battle, like Gokuh. Gine is a perfect example on how her gentleness made her leave battle but her gentleness brushed off on Barduck. There’s nothing wrong with this concept. It’s been in the series since Gokuh transformed. Now people wanna complain because of S-Cells that change nothing about the Saiyans from a lore perspective.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I wonder if there's a need for even more S-Cells to obtain SSJ2 and SSJ3. We know SSJ2 still needs the anger trigger, which points in that direction.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:01 pm

LightBing wrote:I wonder if there's a need for even more S-Cells to obtain SSJ2 and SSJ3. We know SSJ2 still needs the anger trigger, which points in that direction.
Well, seeing as Goku obtained SSJ3 while dead, I don't really think so... unless his dead body in the afterlife is still "alive" in some way, therefore still producing those cells or if the S-Cells are actually on the spiritual side, rather than the biological.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:46 pm

LightBing wrote:I wonder if there's a need for even more S-Cells to obtain SSJ2 and SSJ3. We know SSJ2 still needs the anger trigger, which points in that direction.
Of course you need more S-Cells for Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3. You don’t need anger to transform. You just need a trigger to explosively increase the S-Cells to cause a change. Anger is an example.