The original Super Saiyan revealed!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

The original Super Saiyan revealed!

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:22 am

As per the new and official book containing an all new interview with Akira Toriyama, he reveals (at least) the name of the one who became Super Saiyan before Goku, that is Yamoshi!

Check Herms's translation below:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Toei's version of Movie 14 did not tell us about the one who became Super Saiyan God (I don't remember if Toyotaro also omitted that), that was kept in the movie, but it seems Toriyama acknowledges both the movie and the anime information (the Namekuseijin book).
Last edited by Grimlock on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The original Super Saiyan God revealed!

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 am

"S cells"? Seriously? Is Toriyama a fan of The Phantom Menace? :sick:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 am

So it works via Lamarckian evolution?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:48 am

Yamoshi is the legendary Super Saiyan God? Isn’t it saying that Yamoshi is the legendary Super Saiyan and his sould allowed a Saiyan of the six righteous Saiyans to become Super Saiyan God.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 am

I'm sure this also ties in with harnessing these S cells with the tingling in your back, bravo Toriyama. :clap:

SSJ is no longer a legendary transformation, good riddance to it being taken to seriously anymore.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:55 am

I may just be tired, but:
-so Yamoshi was the first to tap into ssjg, but after he dies he haunts other saiyans?
-If he himself was one of six, why would he be looking for six? Wouldn't five make now more sense if he's joining them?
-If this ssjg power existed before Yamoshi, why would he be haunting with it?

It doesn't matter to me too much....I'll re-read it after I get some sleep and see if it makes more sense then.

Also his name is two letters away from Yoshi and I have to keep checking to make sure that's not what I spelled.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:56 am

MR.Mark wrote:I'm sure this also ties in with harnessing these S cells with the tingling in your back, bravo Toriyama. :clap:

SSJ is no longer a legendary transformation, good riddance to it being taken to seriously anymore.
It’s legendary because most Saiyans don’t have a lot of S cells. Yamoshi was the first to become Super Saiyan and that should tell you something. It’s so prevalent now because one, Trunks and Goten inherited S cells (most likely) from their respective fathers and they were born without tails, probably boosting the amount of S cells they have and gaining some from their dads. The Sixth Universe Saiyans don’t have tails like Trunks and Goten don’t, making them have great potential.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 am

Chuquita wrote:I may just be tired, but:
-so Yamoshi was the first to tap into ssjg, but after he dies he haunts other saiyans?
-If he himself was one of six, why would he be looking for six? Wouldn't five make now more sense if he's joining them?

It doesn't matter to me too much....I'll re-read it after I get some sleep and see if it makes more sense then.

Also his name is two letters away from Yoshi and I have to keep checking to make sure that's not what I spelled.
No, Yamoshi is the legendary Super Saiyan and when he died, his soul began to wander and stubbled upon the six righteous Saiyans on Planet Vegeta and one became Super Saiyan God. Presumably, Yamoshi's soul allows one of the six righteous Saiyans to become Super Saiyan God, not that Yamoshi was the legendary God becaue he wasn’t.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 am

Meshack wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I may just be tired, but:

No, Yamoshi is the legendary Super Saiyan and when he died, his soul began to wander and stubbled upon the six righteous Saiyans on Planet Vegeta and one became Super Saiyan God. Presumably, Yamoshi's soul allows one of the six righteous Saiyans to become Super Saiyan God, not that Yamoshi was the legendary God becaue he wasn’t.
So he was a regular ssj1, but for some reason his soul wanders unable to pass on to Enma and instead can be summoned to possesses but not the usual way another saiyan through the ritual?

Makes the idea of both Gokû and Vegeta going ssjg at the same time interesting.

What a strange bit of lore. I wonder if any of that came from the earlier BOG script.
Last edited by Chuquita on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 am

Alright, a better and more detailed translation. So Yamoshi is not the original Super Saiyan God, he was the Legendary Super Saiyan/original Super Saiyan. He's also the reason why the ritual is required to become Super Saiyan God.

[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]

~ Day of the Machines ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: The original Super Saiyan revealed!

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:39 am

Hurray lore directly from the man!

I really like the S-Cells bit. It meshes well with Oozaru explanation as in Saiyans being really weird creatures.

It explains why Universe 6 Saiyans can go SSJ much more easily. It also explains why the Saiyans kids got SSJ with such ease; it lines up with my and I bet many people's previous explanation for this.

The only thing I find weird is Yamoshi becoming a spirit and searching for a new saviour. Why exactly?! How does this work. So many questions. I'm not satisfied with this part.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:47 am

LightBing wrote:The only thing I find weird is Yamoshi becoming a spirit and searching for a new saviour. Why exactly?! How does this work. So many questions. I'm not satisfied with this part.
Not only that, Yamoshi's spirit wandered for so long and even traveled from one planet to another, as this event happened back in planet Sadala, the original Super Saiyan God appeared in planet Vegeta.

It's really weird. Just when we got some explanation, other bunch of questions appear! :crazy:

~ Day of the Machines ~

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 am

LightBing wrote:Hurray lore directly from the man!

I really like the S-Cells bit. It meshes well with Oozaru explanation as in Saiyans being really weird creatures.

It explains why Universe 6 Saiyans can go SSJ much more easily. It also explains why the Saiyans kids got SSJ with such ease; it lines up with my and I bet many people's previous explanation for this.

The only thing I find weird is Yamoshi becoming a spirit and searching for a new saviour. Why exactly?! How does this work. So many questions. I'm not satisfied with this part.
Maybe Yamoshi believed the Saiyans were evil because he and his other comrades did start a rebellion. He wanted the Saiyans to be morally good like he and his comrades were. We know the legendary God and his comrades did the same thing but lost in the end.

Now that I think about it, Barduck had a chance to become a Super Saiyan God if he and his comrades were righteous. He could have looked for two more righteous Saiyans if he knew about the God legend.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:03 am

Grimlock wrote:
LightBing wrote:The only thing I find weird is Yamoshi becoming a spirit and searching for a new saviour. Why exactly?! How does this work. So many questions. I'm not satisfied with this part.
Not only that, Yamoshi's spirit wandered for so long and even traveled from one planet to another, as this event happened back in planet Sadala, the original Super Saiyan God appeared in planet Vegeta.

It's really weird. Just when we got some explanation, other bunch of questions appear! :crazy:
Spirits can follow people.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:10 am

Killing the 20 year old questions dead Toriyama! They had lives!
[spoiler]S-Cells sound like Toriyama trying to give Super Saiyan the biology root it kind of needed- it doesn't tie into any other existing Saiyan traits at all- but then remembered that Goku got it because of who he was, not what. Super Saiyan as a stress hormone makes sense- but one that particular? Kind of a crapshoot there.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yamoshi as a wandering spirit catching the mind's eye of spiritually attuned beings is neat and marks him as decidedly different, venturing back into Dragon Ball's more overtly fantastic- but the Saiyans would remember him very differently if he turned his golden justice on his own people! :lolno: Maybe they share Vegeta's broad perspective and hold what memory is left of him as an ideal of Saiyan strength, rather than the character, as Vegeta seemed to do with trying to represent the Saiyans while not actually thinking much of his fellows personally.[/spoiler]
Chuquita wrote:What a strange bit of lore. I wonder if any of that came from the earlier BOG script.
Quite.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:39 am

Metalwario64 wrote:"S cells"? Seriously? Is Toriyama a fan of The Phantom Menace? :sick:
Makes sense to me. The name is weird but it could plainly be assumed to mean "Saiyan Cells". I mean, it's called Super Saiyan after all, so it makes sense that it's something particular to Saiyan biology or genetics that allows them to perform said transformations.

Also makes you wonder if Dr. Gero skipped them over when making Cell, thus explaining why Cell doesn't attain something like Super Saiyan.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:54 am

KBABZ wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:"S cells"? Seriously? Is Toriyama a fan of The Phantom Menace? :sick:
Makes sense to me. The name is weird but it could plainly be assumed to mean "Saiyan Cells". I mean, it's called Super Saiyan after all, so it makes sense that it's something particular to Saiyan biology or genetics that allows them to perform said transformations.

Also makes you wonder if Dr. Gero skipped them over when making Cell, thus explaining why Cell doesn't attain something like Super Saiyan.
Did Cell really transform into Super Saiyan? People keep saying he did and there was even a conversation about it on Twitter when this stuff was revealed. I doubt he became a Super Saiyan but he did say he received a power up like Gohan. Cell just got a massive near-death power up. Don’t know why people keep saying he was Super Saiyan or even Super Saiyan 2.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:14 am

Yes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:31 am

Meshack wrote:Did Cell really transform into Super Saiyan? People keep saying he did and there was even a conversation about it on Twitter when this stuff was revealed. I doubt he became a Super Saiyan but he did say he received a power up like Gohan. Cell just got a massive near-death power up. Don’t know why people keep saying he was Super Saiyan or even Super Saiyan 2.
I don't believe he ever went Super Saiyan. The closest to that would be the "Zenkai" effect where he comes back stronger after a near-death defeat.
Son_Gohan wrote:
Yes.
Aw, that's adorable! Toriyama Star Wars would be a great manga.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 am

Wait, I am so confused. I thought the traditional "gold form" was the SSJ of legend, not SSJ god? If it was god that everyone was talking about, then where does the gold form come from?

Also, are we to believe that Yamoshi's SSJGod form was as strong as Goku's when he foguht Beerus? Because if that is the case, then no way could a bunch of average saiyans with PLs below 1000 have taken him out. That wouldn't make any sense. I ma guessing that Yamoshi's god form was weaker to due to him having a far weaker base than DBS Goku

If the amount of S-cells are dependent on the environment, why could Future Gohan and Trunks turn SSJ?