Did Zamasu have a 'pure heart'?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Did Zamasu have a 'pure heart'?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 am

In the anime, Gowasu compliments the tea brewed by Zamasu by saying 'Tea brewed by the pure-hearted is free of imperfections and is truly delicious.' This implies that Zamasu did have purity of heart, his evil actions being a result of his misguided ideals that destroying the sinful mortals would restore peace and beauty in the Universe.

However, one can argue that Zamasu later on lost his purity of heart (if that's possible?) when he destroyed mortals en-masse as part of the Zero Mortals Plan and even slaughtered his fellow Gods (his own master included), viewing himself as the ultimate incarnation of Justice. At that point, his pure heart had been tainted by Selfishness (as he was extremely vainglorious and self-centered and considered himself the pinnacle of beauty in the Universe) and Sadism (for example, when Fused Zamasu willingly damaged himself with the Light of Justice to gain greater power - plus, Goku Black would often revel in his own pain).

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Re: Did Zamasu have a 'pure heart'?

Post by Khandom101 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:In the anime, Gowasu compliments the tea brewed by Zamasu by saying 'Tea brewed by the pure-hearted is free of imperfections and is truly delicious.' This implies that Zamasu did have purity of heart, his evil actions being a result of his misguided ideals that destroying the sinful mortals would restore peace and beauty in the Universe.

However, one can argue that Zamasu later on lost his purity of heart (if that's possible?) when he destroyed mortals en-masse as part of the Zero Mortals Plan and even slaughtered his fellow Gods (his own master included), viewing himself as the ultimate incarnation of Justice. At that point, his pure heart had been tainted by Selfishness (as he was extremely vainglorious and self-centered and considered himself the pinnacle of beauty in the Universe) and Sadism (for example, when Fused Zamasu willingly damaged himself with the Light of Justice to gain greater power - plus, Goku Black would often revel in his own pain).
In a twisted sense of way he was a good guy. Nonetheless, his sense of justice was extremely flawed despite having pure intentions. I guess he was kinda of pure hearted. It depends on each individuals perspective, some may find him good others would think he is a bad guy. He was such a complex villain, too bad we didn't explore that expect of him much, but I really enjoyed his character.
Would love to see him return though (even if it's a delusional thought).

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 am

Zamasu did have a pure heart... Pure evil.

No, but seriously, Zamasu was trying to do what was right and get rid of anything evil. However, the way he approached things was not right way. He wanted to get rid of the mortals for doing unjust things like wars and talking causally with gods and the gods for not doing their job. He believed it was his job as a god to get rid of anything that wasn’t just but Gowasu had to tell him that it was not his job to do so. Zamasu was pure but his actions just didn’t go well.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Gowasu was an idiot.

I don't know where all of this "Zamasu was corrupted; he used to be a good guy" shit is coming from. I finally got around to watching Super last week, and from his first appearance to the episode where he dies, Zamasu is portrayed as an evil ass.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:41 pm

I don't know where all of this "Zamasu was corrupted; he used to be a good guy" shit is coming from. I finally got around to watching Super last week, and from his first appearance to the episode where he dies, Zamasu is portrayed as an evil ass.
Not in the beginning. In his first appearance, Zamasu is portrayed as a calm God who has legit and valid doubts about mortals after witnessing the countless conflicts between these primitive creatures. They do not learn from their mistakes, they are stubborn, etc...

Also, Zamasu was initially eager to study under Gowasu and promised to do his best to maintain universal peace, however he had a negative view of mortals because of all the senseless slaughter he had witnessed. But the metaphor of the tea is very important. Initially, Zamasu's tea was delicious and free of imperfections, proof that he had heart purity. As his doubts started to cloud his thoughts even more, his tea was no longer perfect, it started to swirl around, causing ripples, proof that Zamasu's heart was no longer pure and that his descent into madness had begun.

We are also talking from the Anime standpoint, as in the Manga Zamasu had made up his mind about mortals since his initial introduction and wasn't clouded by doubt and uncertainty. As far as i recall, the Manga doesn't even mention Zamasu's heart.

Regardless, it's a minor doubt i had after rewatching the arc, but the implications of it are interesting. If Zamasu truly had purity of heart, then it means he could've potentially learnt particular techniques such as the Spirit Bomb.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:57 pm

The first time we see him, he's contemplating about how murdering every mortal in existence is for "the greater good."

After that, like, the next day, he's murdering his mentor, running off to become immortal, and setting into motion plans for universal genocide.

Where is the nuance, exactly? Where is this "purity?"

Zamasu is a perfectly fine character, but the extent to which people go to over-analyze what we're shown kills him. He's an arrogant, genocidal ass, and he's never shown as anything else.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The first time we see him, he's contemplating about how murdering every mortal in existence is for "the greater good."

After that, like, the next day, he's murdering his mentor, running off to become immortal, and setting into motion plans for universal genocide.

Zamasu is a perfectly fine character, but the extent to which people go to over-analyze what we're shown kills him. He's an arrogant, genocidal ass, and he's never shown as anything else.
The proof of the purity of heart is the tea brewed by him, which Gowasu deems free of imperfection and delicious, symbol that Zamasu possesses purity of heart.

Plus, he doesn't seem like an arrogant psycopath in this picture:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 1101035302

In case you are wondering, he is telling Gowasu that he will do his best to maintain universal peace.

Zamasu -became- insane and paranoid. A lunatic. No one is denying that and that's the beauty of the character. But he did not -start- as a genocidal maniac. Note that the tea he brewed stopped being perfect only -after- Zamasu's confrontation with Goku, when his hatred for mortals grew exponentially.

Besides, i don't see what the problem is? Zamasu is a controversial and complex character, and that's his beauty. Let's just agree to disagree.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:25 pm

The most interesting aspect of Zamasu's villainy is that he believes he's doing the right thing. So I guess the question should be is he still pure hearted because his terrible acts are a result of insanity rather than doing these acts for pleasure?

Either way he certainly started out with a pure heart before becoming a lunatic.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:26 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:The first time we see him, he's contemplating about how murdering every mortal in existence is for "the greater good."

The proof of the purity is the team brewed by him, which Gowasu deems free of imperfeciton and delicious, symbol that Zamasu possesses purity of heart.

Plus, he doesn't seem like an arrogant psycopath in this picture:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 1101035302

In case you are wondering, he is telling Gowasu that he will do his best to maintain universal peace.

Zamasu -became- insane and paranoid. A lunatic. No one is denying that and that's the beauty of the character. But he did not -start- as a genocidal maniac.
The tea is bullshit, because, as is made repeatedly clear throughout the arc, Gowasu is an idiot, culminating in him defending the guy who was promoting killing every mortal in the universe and getting killed by that same guy 5 minutes later.
Beerus and Whis: "Hey, has Zamasu been acting odd lately? You know, mentioning that he wanted to kill all mortals or something?
Gowasu: "Oh that, well, he talks about it every now and then, but I talked him out of it this time. All's good bros.
From the moment we first meet him and he opens his mouth, it is shoved in our face that Zamasu is, at the very least, contemplating universal genocide. Good, pure-hearted people don't go from "Man, wouldn't it be nice if we just killed all these mortals" to "Mwahahaha I have killed my mentor, threatened a guy to become immortal, murdered this guy who embarrassed me and his family, and set myself on a course of universal genocide" in under a week. A picture of him smiling at some point doesn't change that. His idea of "universal peace" is killing everything that can be bad.

A nice cup of tea doesn't mean much when, 30 seconds later, you are advocating killing off everyone in the universe.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:52 pm

MR.Mark wrote:The most interesting aspect of Zamasu's villainy is that he believes he's doing the right thing. So I guess the question should be is he still pure hearted because his terrible acts are a result of insanity rather than doing these acts for pleasure?

Either way he certainly started out with a pure heart before becoming a lunatic.
In a way he is like the Light Yagami of dragon ball :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:56 pm

What I would like to know is what Gowasu's Kaioshin based tutelage was like. We're given nothing about Gowasu and Zamasu's master-student relationship beyond their first introduction to each other, some sparing with Kibito in the manga, and Gowasu putting forth the worse possible example of ningen equanimity which fell right into the guy's lap as a textbook example of why ningen are not to be trusted. Where's the observations surrounding peaceful productive species like the Namekians or the compassionate and hospitable Yardratians? All I saw was Gowasu telling his student to recognise his place, continue observing the very species which he brandished out that haven't seem to have gotten any better despite a thousand years worth of growth being offered, while somehow omitting the good examples of ningen that are out there. I feel almost inclined to guarantee that if Gowasu had shown Zamasu the Namekians or Yardratians, it may have softened his initial sentiments concerning ningen.

All that said, Zamasu was, to an extent, a victim of poorly inadequate instruction and exposure. His initial weariness towards the beings whom he's supposed to monitor should be cause for alarm with any superior or mentor. But Gowasu never tried to alleviate those concerns or respect Zamasu's discontent with the established system. In some ways when you take away the boastful supremacy rhetoric and expostulations of mass killing, you can find some basic grievances that have some validity to them like ningen's propensity for war, destroying the worlds they live on with their practices, incompetent overseeing leadership that seems to turn a blind eye towards iniquity, pretentious violation of chrono-universal stability for the sake of rescuing themselves from the very beings they created (Trunks changed the timeline to save the world, but it can't be denied that this threw a wrench into the entire system), dependency on a small unpredictable wayward group of extraterrestrial were-primates who take advantage of their unique position for personal satisfaction, ect.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 am

The tea is bullshit, because, as is made repeatedly clear throughout the arc, Gowasu is an idiot, culminating in him defending the guy who was promoting killing every mortal in the universe and getting killed by that same guy 5 minutes later.
I mean, i guess. Still, as Gowasu 'seems' like a pretty wise and experienced Supreme Kai, i would trust him if he said that the kind of tea i brew reflects the state of my heart. He seems quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Gowasu was a terrible teacher, that became obvious when he brought Zamasu to Planet Babari, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the information he gave us about the tea and its potential link one's purity of heart is factually wrong.

It appears as if it is possible for sinful desires to be present and latent inside people, and those people will still be considered pure of heart, so long as they repress those sinful desires. So it -could- be that Zamasu had started thinking about the Zero Mortals Plan back when he was still North Kai of Universe 10, but was able to repress his hatred for mortals and lust for power and thus was still considered pure of heart - despite sinful emotions taking roots in his heart - .

However, if Zamasu was born with a purely evil heart, he would've been sent to the Demon Realm like all evil Shinjin are.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 am

His heart was discordant, not pure at all. He was conflicted, delusional, narcissistic and self-obsessed. That's as far from being pure-hearted as you can get.

Purity doesn't equal good, this is something I argued back when people were debating over whether the Spirt Bomb could've hurt Jiren. Goku counts as "pure-hearted" despite his numerous flaws because at the end of the day, he's free-spirited and sincere. Of course you can still be both 'pure' and 'good (Gohan springs to mind), or you can be 'pure' and 'evil' (hello Kid Buu). Zamasu is evil, definitely, but he isn't pure. The fact that he's so corrupted he's physically coming apart by the end of it should speak to that.

Incidentally, Jiren is good, but not pure. Because he's a superhero, but he's also an antisocial prick.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:59 am

I'm with Kamiccolo on this. Zamasu, as presented, was always a fuse looking for a match.

He's much like Baby in GT—spouting off moral justifications for his actions—but at the end of the day he's just a sadist with a superiority complex.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am

Yes, Zamasu ultimately became a self-absorbed and deranged lunatic. That's why i love his character arc: he went from a doubtful and calm Supreme Kai to a rabid monster devoid of any rational thought. In the title, i was referring to the initial moment when we saw Zamasu, when we saw his tea being free of imperfections which, according to Gowasu, represented his purity of heart. Then the tea started to twist and contort and, at that point, i agree with you and Zamasu had already lost his supposed purity of heart. The tea only started to twist only after Zamasu had started talking about his distrust for Humanity, so it is entirely possible that Zamasu lost his purity of heart the first time we saw him on-screen.

My theory on Zamasu's purity of heart came from Gowasu's comment regarding the flawless tea his student brewed - which, according to Gowasu, can be used as a parameter to estabilish wheter one possesses a pure heart or not.

But perhaps i'm simply overlooking things and Toei never wanted to imply Zamasu had a pure heart -at the beginning-. In which case, they should've avoided writing this misguiding line:

Thanks for the replies anyway.