God of Destruction Origins

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

God of Destruction Origins

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:16 pm

I was just wondering if there’s anything that has been said in universe or by Toriyama himself in an interview or something that confirms where the gods of destruction come from. Are they born as a deity or are they born mortal and chosen for the job? If there isn’t concrete evidence I’d be interested to hear your speculations.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: God of Destruction Origins

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Toppo hails from a mortal species, yet he is set to become the next God of Destruction of Universe 11, so i don't think you have to be born into a divine species (such as the Shinjin) to become a God of Destruction. Even if you are a mortal, you are automatically elevated to the rank of 'deity' once you've been promoted to God of Destruction.

What i do wonder is if deities such as the Kais can also become Gods of Destruction. For example, would a natural prodigy like Zamasu - who was the North Kai of Universe 10 - be accepted to become a God of Destruction? Or are Shinjin in general destined to become only Gods of Creation? So -only- mortals species can become Gods of Destruction?

Sadly, i don't believe Toriyama has addressed the issue in an interview, but i might be wrong.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:40 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I was just wondering if there’s anything that has been said in universe or by Toriyama himself in an interview or something that confirms where the gods of destruction come from. Are they born as a deity or are they born mortal and chosen for the job? If there isn’t concrete evidence I’d be interested to hear your speculations.
It’s obvious that they’re chosen for the job. Whis offered Gokuh to become the Hakaishin after Beerus died in Battle of Gods but Gokuh turned it down. In Super, Gokuh and Vegeta are both offered to be the Hakaishin but they don’t want to be it. Belmod became a thousands of years ago and Toppo is the candidate for the position of Hakaishin. Jiren was offered to be the Hakaishin but he turned it down.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Hakaishin appear to be artificially created via a selection process that's at the discretion of the angels, as others explained it. They're not an organically celestial species like the Shinjin and aforementioned angels are. But just because both Hakaishin and Kaioshin tend to have their conventions doesn't mean exceptions couldn't exist. Remember how Goku was offered the position of Kami for Earth back at the end of the original Dragon Ball? Goku would have technically qualified as a deity then, albeit on a local planetary scale. Shinjin can also possess a different position as the quadrantal overseer of a particular area of the universe like King Kai has. It doesn't appear to be a particularly proactive role like the Hakaishin have but it's a little bit different in that you're not really creating new worlds.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Personally I was pretty sure that they were born mortal since they all look different, but there’s nothing I know of that’s been proven which was why I asked. It would be interesting to know more about them, especially Beerus and Champa since brothers both managed to become gods of destruction for different universes. That raises another question for me though, as it would seem a god of destruction doesn’t necessarily have to be from the universe that he’s presiding over. I hope Toriyama elaborates on this more (he probably won’t).
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:12 pm

It would be cool if the selection process culminated in a battle for the job between contenders. Would love to see Frieza stomp Toppo and be appointed GoD of another universe. Would keep him as a recurring threat, w/o over-exposing him by having him join the main cast.

There's also a story there about how Beerus and Champa fought to a draw, or one refusing to kill the other, leading to them both being appointed in different universes.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song