Piccolo's Potential

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Piccolo's Potential

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:29 am

If he got unlocked instead of Gohan, could he have beat Buu? It seems that he had a lot of room to grow as seen in Super.

Whatever
Regular

Re: Piccolo's Potential

Post by Whatever » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:21 am

Well the Nameless Namekian who was a mage started/was born with a higher base power than Gohan was and he is a part of Piccolo in a warrior's body ,so in theory an Ultimate Piccolo would be stronger than an Ultimate Gohan.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:34 am

As much as I would love for this to be true, I don't think that's how it works? Gohan has always had these seemingly massive power reserves at hand that he could only truly tap into once the was properly enraged. The elder Kai just brought all that power to the surface for him to use at will. At least that's how I always read that 'unlock'.
Piccolo and the others aren't like that. Their power grows proportionally as they train.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:53 pm

I think after his Rosat trip he kind of hit an wall, considering he didn't even bother going for a second day. So yeah, Elder Kaioshin's potential unlock would power him up a bit, since it's stated to draw a person beyond his limits, but nothing special.

Counting Super, who knows. That freak spars a bit with a rusty ass Gohan and gets to God tier.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Namekian Fuse

Post by Namekian Fuse » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:22 pm

I don't understand why the Kaios and other gods don't take interest in the race of Namekians who are the makers of the Dragon Balls. The fact that part of Piccolo was the god over earth and maker of earths old Dragon Balls should mean something to them. I don't see why they don't teach him some of their godly powers. Piccolo needs to break new bounds in strength and ability. He should find a way to be able to remake his own Dragon Balls.

I don't know why Piccolo's and the other Namekians magical powers are not emphasized or increase with their training. Piccolo and Pirina have materialized clothing out of thin air, that ability should be refined to allow them to use it as an effective technique in battle.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 am

They all reached a plateau after training in the ROSAT. It's for that reason Goku chose not to complete his turn and go again. As we saw in the Buu arc, though, he still had room for improvement with his SSJ form. With that said, they were only able to continue forward by unlocking new transformations. I don't see why Piccolo couldn't be the same way in terms of improving himself some. The plateau for him might be somewhere around either the Cell Jrs or the MSSJs. It would likely take some extraordinary new method of training for him to break through. Now for his potential, I say he matches Cell and with the added bonus of going " wa~~ay, wa~~ay out" above their limits, he might reach SSJ3 tier. I think he would become the strongest fighter again, barring Ultimate Gohan and the fused Saiyans. Imagine him with an innovated Kaioken that can go beyond x20, though. You might be looking at Piccolo taking a shot at Super Buu himself.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:I think after his Rosat trip he kind of hit an wall, considering he didn't even bother going for a second day. So yeah, Elder Kaioshin's potential unlock would power him up a bit, since it's stated to draw a person beyond his limits, but nothing special.

Counting Super, who knows. That freak spars a bit with a rusty ass Gohan and gets to God tier.
Its unlikely that Goku had actually hit his limit or that it was the case for any of the other Z Senshi judging from future events, Goku may have just been imposing a mental limitation on himself to justify the gamble with Gohan thus the Z Senshi's morale took a blow and they in turn believed there was an impassable wall before them. A sort of synergy effect has always been the driving force among the Z Senshi to improve and overcome the latest threat, when their most prominent player seems to believe that there is no room left to build upon then they all concede that it is hopeless. That is most certainly the case in Trunks' future and why Gohan never exceeded his father's strength in that timeline.
DB Super however has done away with all the preconceived notions of limits and insecurities among the Z Senshi so now they can improve as much as they desire, had Goku never stated that he had hit a wall after his ROSAT year and gone back in then we'd probably have seen Cell soundly defeated. No one would have almost been killed by the Cell Jrs or needed to sacrifice themselves to prevent Cell from destroying the Earth.
Its amazing how much trouble Goku can cause just by being an uncharacteristic idiot, truly a low point in Toriyama's writing.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 am

Potential is a crap-shoot in Dragon Ball. You don't have it, until the plot arbitrarily decides that you do have it. If they needed Piccolo to be strong enough to be relevant in the plot, he'll reach that tier of strength needed through some means.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Potential is a crap-shoot in Dragon Ball. You don't have it, until the plot arbitrarily decides that you do have it. If they needed Piccolo to be strong enough to be relevant in the plot, he'll reach that tier of strength needed through some means.
Usually off screen training. I think of all characters, Piccolo has the most inconsistent growths of power. When you think about the Namek and post Namek pre-Buu arcs, you see a Piccolo who has insane potential. How else can you explain someone going from Nappa fodder to impressing a Ginyu force level fighter in days or going from a PL near 1,000,000 to Super Saiyan tier with three years of training and no transformations? He did seem to be capped off pretty hard in the Buu arc, but then again we don't know exactly where he sits in the power scale.

I think Nail unlocked a huge part of Piccolo's potential, but somehow his merger with Kami slowed his growth. Maybe he just didn't train as hard as he could have in those 7 years of peace. But it looks like Super has shown us that Piccolo does indeed have the potential to get much stronger. He's already mid to top tier Buu arc level and that's just with his standard methods of training. If he ever truly sought out King Kai for real training, his power would increase dramatically and he could learn the KK, which would work really well for him.

I think most of Piccolo's potential would be tied to God Ki. I still think he has a kernel of it down deep within him thanks to his ties with divinity and the fact that he could sort of sense Shin. Whis would bring out his true potential.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am

BWri wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Potential is a crap-shoot in Dragon Ball. You don't have it, until the plot arbitrarily decides that you do have it. If they needed Piccolo to be strong enough to be relevant in the plot, he'll reach that tier of strength needed through some means.
Usually off screen training. I think of all characters, Piccolo has the most inconsistent growths of power. When you think about the Namek and post Namek pre-Buu arcs, you see a Piccolo who has insane potential. How else can you explain someone going from Nappa fodder to impressing a Ginyu force level fighter in days or going from a PL near 1,000,000 to Super Saiyan tier with three years of training and no transformations? He did seem to be capped off pretty hard in the Buu arc, but then again we don't know exactly where he sits in the power scale.

I think Nail unlocked a huge part of Piccolo's potential, but somehow his merger with Kami slowed his growth. Maybe he just didn't train as hard as he could have in those 7 years of peace. But it looks like Super has shown us that Piccolo does indeed have the potential to get much stronger. He's already mid to top tier Buu arc level and that's just with his standard methods of training. If he ever truly sought out King Kai for real training, his power would increase dramatically and he could learn the KK, which would work really well for him.

I think most of Piccolo's potential would be tied to God Ki. I still think he has a kernel of it down deep within him thanks to his ties with divinity and the fact that he could sort of sense Shin. Whis would bring out his true potential.
This has never been stated or even slightly implied in the show, but it's been a fan theory of mine since forever. Or not so much a theory as a method they could use to explain him suddenly no longer being able to keep up with the saiyans. Right up until the moment he fused, the story presented him as someone as battle eager as the saiyans, and power-wise he managed to remain in their ballpark even after they achieved SSJ. That growth stops the moment he fused with Kami. Kami might have completed him in a way, but he also might have dulled his ambition and hunger for power/challenges since Kami wasn't a fighter.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Michsi wrote:
BWri wrote:

This has never been stated or even slightly implied in the show, but it's been a fan theory of mine since forever. Or not so much a theory as a method they could use to explain him suddenly no longer being able to keep up with the saiyans. Right up until the moment he fused, the story presented him as someone as battle eager as the saiyans, and power-wise he managed to remain in their ballpark even after they achieved SSJ. That growth stops the moment he fused with Kami. Kami might have completed him in a way, but he also might have dulled his ambition and hunger for power/challenges since Kami wasn't a fighter.
I believe this too as it seems that Piccolo has mellowed a lot after the Cell arc. His poor gains between the Cell and Buu arc imply to me that he didn't have the ambition to push himself in those 7 years of peace. If he did, he'd likely be stronger than Gohan at the very least. Super shows us that Piccolo can outpace a lazy Gohan when motivated properly.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-