Would Goku have let Cell transform?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Would Goku have let Cell transform?

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Blame some of Toriyama's inconsistent writing. I personally wish Goku not killing was always part of his character from the get go for example.

They didn't fuse for kid Buu because he was seriously powerd down, so they thought they could take him. They regretted it later and resorted to Goku's trump card the Gekidama. (and cause Goku must win)

So, yeah, would Goku stand there with his arms crossed as 18 screamed and cried as she was absorbed into Cell, excited for a challenge?

LOL, of course not.

Beyond being a Saiyan, Vegeta was also fulfilling his role in that arc. It was pretty formula by that point for Vegeta to underestimate his opponents. Plus he was obviously still an wicked dickhead at this point with his head so far up his own ass. Until the Buu arc where he was finally able to accept when people were stronger than him.

Also Goku did have a reason to let Freeza power up, did you miss his whole SSJ speech?

On top of pride and a challenge, there was some justice and humbling Goku wanted to beat into Freeza.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:No, but Kuririn definitely would in her place. You'd also have Trunks asking Goku to stop Cell.
Perhaps. But Goku does sometimes acts on his on whims, regardless of what people of higher moral ground and better knowledge may advise him.
Doctor. wrote:He gave Cell a Senzu because he needed Gohan to transform. He was overconfident, but he didn't do it out of a desire to fight.
The only reason he gave Cell a senzu was because he wanted a fair fight as Cell was exhausted. There was no doubt Goku was confident in Gohan's power, but he wanted to see a good fight. Piccolo calls out Goku on this specifically.
Doctor. wrote:He did fuse, and he tried to fuse right after it broke, too. Why are you ignoring this? He stopped after Vegeta's pride rubbed on him and he saw there was no other alternative.
Fusing with Vegeta against Kid Boo was the alternative and he declined that on the grounds of that he (and Vegeta) wanted to fight Kid Boo using their power and that Kid Boo was on his own, too. Even though Kid Boo had just destroyed the world and killed his and Vegeta's remaining family in the process. Hell, Goku later regrets not using the Potara as it would have gotten the job done.
Doctor. wrote:#18 is an innocent being at this point that has done nothing worse than breaking Vegeta's arm.
#18 is not 100% innocent. They still have objective of killing Goku. That's something that can't be exactly swept under the rug. And it's like they were saints for Gero got his hands on them either.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 pm

So how is any of this beating around the bush evidence that Goku would act out of character in the Cell arc?

Goku wanted to see a good fight with Gohan against Cell? Last I checked Goku never had any confidence nor excitement to even fight Cell the entire arc. He also yelled at Gohan to kill Cell before he did anything drastic. Yes Piccolo scolded Goku, because he was putting his son in harms way and was confident in Gohan's power to defeat Cell, who was a threat to the earth.

Again, as the story continued to escalate, the need to take down the big bad threatening the earth was overriding the need for just a good fight.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:31 am

I don't see Goku allowing Cell to absorb #18. He wouldn't stand by and watch someone scream and seek help and do nothing.

If Cell could naturally evolve without the need of #17 & #18 I could see him allowing the transformation to happen.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 pm

"I've never really been aware of saving the world, I just want to fight strong opponents. But I can't just stand by and watch innocent people and animals suffer. That's what my grandpa taught me. "
— Goku in "Hunt the Poachers! Goku and No. 17's United Front!!"

Does this satisfy your curiosity?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:51 pm

Toriyama hated that line, he intended Goku to say "I can't stand innocent people and animals getting in the way of a good fight"

I miss Grandpa Gohan.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Goku can be very hard to predict at times. Sometimes he makes surpassingly pragmatic choices while other times he will make choices that sound crazy. Also you have to remember that sometimes his poor choices have had good outcomes while some of his more pragmatic ones don't.

The Android arc is the hardest of all to predict because Goku's character dose flip flop about with him making good choices at times but at others he acts like a moron. In one arc he wisely choses not to fight Cell, comes up with a way to advance quickly, see Gohan's potential and gives his life to save everyone.....but on the flip side this Goku also dose not end the android threat before it can start, allows his friends to split up during a hunt of enemies reported to be stronger then SS and who cannot be sensed, gives Cell a senzu and horribly misjudges his son's character.

Given the point in time that plot point takes place and Goku's character 90% shore Goku would not let it happen. The big difference is that while Goku has let villains power up and recover over the years, he would never put knowingly allow a person to be absorbed against their will and be imprisoned forever. Goku may make poor choices due to his desire to fight but his not stupid or cruel enough to knowingly dame another to eternal pain and suffering. If he was then he'd be every bit the villain people were making him out to be at the beginning of the ToP arc.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Tough one really because you know Goku always wants to fight the toughest opponents, but personally I don't think he would've let 18 be absorbed.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:56 am

no, I don’t believe he’d let a villain hurt a third party just so he could have a good fight. the fact that Cell needs to absorb 18 to power up would stop Goku from letting him, otherwise he’d do it.

also in the event that he did let Cell absorb 18, Trunks would stop him and Goku wouldn’t fight one of his own allies like Vegeta would.