Would Goku have let Cell transform?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Would Goku have let Cell transform?

Post by Bullza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm

If Goku had been in the same position as Vegeta back when he fought Semi Perfect Cell, would Goku have let Cell absorb Android 18 in order to become Perfect Cell?

On the one hand he is a Saiyan and like Vegeta he would want to fight Perfect Cell undoubtedly. He didn't want Bulma to use Shenron so that he could fight the other Androids, he let Frieza power up on Namek etc so he certainly doesn't take the easy way out.

However would he let Android 18 be absorbed just so he could fight him? Not that Android 18 was even a good person at that time either but I don't think that would be in Goku's nature. Regardless of Android 18, would he want to let Cell transform anyway because of the threat he could be to other people? At least with Frieza on Namek there was nobody else in danger when he let him power up but with Cell there'd be all of mankind put in potential danger over it.

So what do you think he'd do? Let him transform so he could fight the strongest and prove himself like Vegeta or would he kill him for everyone elses safety like Trunks would have done?

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Would Goku have let Cell transform?

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm

No. Goku knows Androids are people like Android 8.

ReadyComicsRoll

Post by ReadyComicsRoll » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Bullza wrote:If Goku had been in the same position as Vegeta back when he fought Semi Perfect Cell, would Goku have let Cell absorb Android 18 in order to become Perfect Cell?

On the one hand he is a Saiyan and like Vegeta he would want to fight Perfect Cell undoubtedly. He didn't want Bulma to use Shenron so that he could fight the other Androids, he let Frieza power up on Namek etc so he certainly doesn't take the easy way out.

However would he let Android 18 be absorbed just so he could fight him? Not that Android 18 was even a good person at that time either but I don't think that would be in Goku's nature. Regardless of Android 18, would he want to let Cell transform anyway because of the threat he could be to other people? At least with Frieza on Namek there was nobody else in danger when he let him power up but with Cell there'd be all of mankind put in potential danger over it.

So what do you think he'd do? Let him transform so he could fight the strongest and prove himself like Vegeta or would he kill him for everyone elses safety like Trunks would have done?
You pretty much answered your own question. He'll let someone power up or recover, as long as it doesn't put anyone or anything else in immediate danger, because there is always that part of him that wants to push himself further and find a challenge worthy of doing so.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Goku let Freeza power up.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Of course he would have. Goku's desire to fight strong people takes priority over anything else. He let a then evil vegeta live because he wanted to fight him, he was willing to let freeza escape in Revival F because he wanted to fight him again. He ignored Beerus and Whis orders and asked Zeno for a tournament. Cell would have baited him the same way he baited Vegeta

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Had it involved NOT absorbing 18, he probably would have. But purposefully sacrificing someone that, up until that point, hadn't killed anyone (17 was the one that offed Gero, whom was going to be killed by Vegeta, Piccolo, and/or Trunks anyway)? No. Goku maybe selfish, but he is NOT heartless.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Probably not.
Goku does love to fight and does put the Earth in danger on occasion but he knows his limits enough not to deliberately invoke a hopeless situation, he isn't so arrogant about his own power like Vegeta is. Goku recognized the threat in Cell and didn't underestimate him, though we can't necessarily give our favorite Saiyan a pass for overestimating the abilities of others.
Gohan & Gotenks anyone??
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 am

Probably not because it involved consuming 18. If it didn't then he probably would.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:21 am

Some questions you need to ask here involve whether Goku still holds an inclination to show mercy towards his defeated enemies and what his perspective is of the cyborgs. They were both ordinary humans at one time that got abducted and experimented on by Gero. Everyone who's come into contact with them was incapacitated but not killed. Plus, they were technically the ones who instigated the fight -- couple that with Krillin's smitten fondness for #18 and you have a possible recipe for Goku refusing to allow Cell to absorb her. It helps that she resembles average humans and is capable of showing human emotion like fear. I can't see Goku crossing his arms and daydreaming innocently to himself about his future challenger while #18 desperately fights for her life with Krillin begging his friend to help.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 am

He wouldn't because Krillin was in love with Android 18 and he would have asked Goku to support him. Even so, I think he would spare Cell's life and tell him to train more and ask for a rematch at the most rather than absorbing Android 18.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 am

Not everything is about a good fight, Vegeta was still a villain at this point. Goku wouldn't sacrifice somone's life for a better challenge.

With Freeza, Goku also wanted to humiliate/humble him on top of challenging his 100%, that fight had some layers to it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:19 am

Absolutely. Goku has always been a character that more concerned about fighting people who offer him a challenge above anything else. It's practically spelled out to be the case in the manga:

There's a reason that we see instances like Goku letting Piccolo get a free punch at him for Kami interfering, or letting Vegeta live, or allowing Freeza to power up to 100%, or agreed in not finding where Dr Gero's lab was so they could prevent him from activating the Androids, or giving Cell a senzu, or turning down the Potara earring to fight Kid Boo.

Goku loves a challenge.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:17 pm

So a Goku that didn't stop Gero because he hadn't done anything wrong yet (on top of wanting a challenge of course) would allow Cell to kill 18?

The same Goku that would let the Ginyu go because he knew he outclassed them, and got mad when Vegeta killed them?

I doubt even Goku in Super would let someone weaker than him get killed so he could have a good fight.

I highly disagree with this.

Sure there was Kaioshin, but at best Goku intimidated someone in his way for a fight that wasin't even a challenge, because he had SSJ3...yeah the Buu arc, lol.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Absolutely. Goku has always been a character that more concerned about fighting people who offer him a challenge above anything else. It's practically spelled out to be the case in the manga:

There's a reason that we see instances like Goku letting Piccolo get a free punch at him for Kami interfering, or letting Vegeta live, or allowing Freeza to power up to 100%, or agreed in not finding where Dr Gero's lab was so they could prevent him from activating the Androids, or giving Cell a senzu, or turning down the Potara earring to fight Kid Boo.

Goku loves a challenge.
None of these examples involved the direct death of a third party right in front of him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:58 pm

MR.Mark wrote:So a Goku that didn't stop Gero because he hadn't done anything wrong yet (on top of wanting a challenge of course) would allow Cell to kill 18?

The same Goku that would let the Ginyu go because he knew he outclassed them, and got mad when Vegeta killed them?

I doubt even Goku in Super would let someone weaker than him get killed so he could have a good fight.

I highly disagree with this.

Sure there was Kaioshin, but at best Goku intimidated someone in his way for a fight that wasin't even a challenge, because he had SSJ3...yeah the Buu arc, lol.
Goku was mad at Vegeta for killing Burter and Reecome but at the same time he was willing to let the person who murdered his best friend and threatened to kill his son power up to his maximum strength. And in the Saiyan arc, when Vegeta killed Nappa, Goku didn't really give a shit. Even though Nappa was responsible for killing Piccolo and was significantly involved in the deaths of Yamcha, Chiaotzu and Tien. I think it safe to say that Goku has very swered and inconsistent priorities in combat.

And besides, if Android 18 dies, he'll most likely just use the Dragon Balls to wish her back to life if he's sympathetic enough about the fate of Android 18. That's the kind of mentality he adopts in the Majin Boo arc... just use the Dragon Balls to fix everything.
Marco Polo wrote:None of these examples involved the direct death of a third party right in front of him.
Said third art was created for the sole purpose of killing Goku and Goku knew that. Do you really think he would have cared that much about Android 18? I highly doubt that.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Goku wanted to kill Piccolo out of pure revenge, no challenge there, but then I guess you could argue Goku matured some as he grew. Goku also told Vegeta to take care of Nappa after he was beaten, he was shocked when Vegeta killed him. Goku was even disappointed in Freeza when he thought he killed him on Namek. Goku embraced his heritage in that arc and Freeza's defeat was just as much about proving a Saiyan could humble him than just another challenge for Goku.

There were plenty of times during the Buu arc where Goku and Vegeta didn't want to fight Buu and even showed fear in doing so,it's about knowing your limits.

Even if Goku was willing to let 18 die, you think he wouldn't listen to Trunks?

They aint typical heros but this is going in the other extreme by far. I see no evidence in the series that Goku would let a person be murdered for a better fight.

That's just out of character.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

You read some people's interpretation of the character and you'd think Goku is a massive psychopath who cares about nobody besides himself.

Goku likes a challenge, but he's also good at gauging his opponent. If he thought Cell would get stronger than him and endanger others as a result, he wouldn't let him power-up. He literally screamed at Gohan to finish Cell off while he had the chance.

This, ignoring what was mentioned by others, that #18 and Kuririn would both ask Goku to stop Cell and he'd most likely not refuse because a) it's his friend's request and b) he's quick to forgive and probably wouldn't hold #18 accountable for anything considering she never did much evil.
Lord Beerus wrote:Do you really think he would have cared that much about Android 18? I highly doubt that.
He cares about anyone that asks him for his help. He gave Freeza some of his Ki and told him to fuck off forever (which means it was out of kindness, and not out of a desire to fight him again) just because he begged for his life. You think he wouldn't save #18 who has done nothing to him?

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:16 pm

No, of course not. Goku is not self-righteous like a classic western superhero, but he won't let anyone in front of him suffer if he can do something about it. He has a good heart.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Do you really think he would have cared that much about Android 18? I highly doubt that.
He cares about anyone that asks him for his help. He gave Freeza some of his Ki and told him to fuck off forever (which means it was out of kindness, and not out of a desire to fight him again) just because he begged for his life. You think he wouldn't save #18 who has done nothing to him?
#18's character, at least at that time, wasn't the kind of person who would be begging for help. If she did go to Goku and tell him to help her and not let Cell absorb her, then yeah, it's very likely Goku would have stepped in stopped that shit from happening.

I'm not trying to imply that Goku has no regard for life, it's just that under certain scenarios his priorities can become very skewered. He has no logical reason to allow guys like Freeza to power up or for Cell to recover his strength or to not fuse with Vegeta to easily deal with Kid Boo but he still enables those scenarios to happen under the pretense of "I have this covered." I wouldn't have been all that different with Cell and #18. At worst, he would give the incentive that he would bring #18 back to life if Cell baited him enough to let him absorb her so he could provide a challenge for him and shit went south because of that.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:#18's character, at least at that time, wasn't the kind of person who would be begging for help. If she did go to Goku and tell him to help her and not let Cell absorb her, then yeah, it's very likely Goku would have stepped in stopped that shit from happening.
No, but Kuririn definitely would in her place. You'd also have Trunks asking Goku to stop Cell.
Lord Beerus wrote:He has no logical reason to allow guys like Freeza to power up
You're right, he doesn't, hence why he was angry at the time and Kaio even says Goku's not like himself when he did it. We're assuming Goku's in his best state of mind here.
Lord Beerus wrote:or for Cell to recover his strength
He gave Cell a Senzu because he needed Gohan to transform. He was overconfident, but he didn't do it out of a desire to fight.
Lord Beerus wrote:or to not fuse with Vegeta
He did fuse, and he tried to fuse right after it broke, too. Why are you ignoring this? He stopped after Vegeta's pride rubbed on him and he saw there was no other alternative.
Lord Beerus wrote: I wouldn't have been all that different with Cell and #18.
#18 is an innocent being at this point that has done nothing worse than breaking Vegeta's arm.