Will We Ever See Cell Again?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Will We Ever See Cell Again?

Post by theherodjl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 am

Freeza's soul is such a wicked one that the reincarnation process of Hell had not cleansed him even 10 years after his death by Trunks, does that mean Cell, being a abomination of science with the black heart of Freeza, would still be in a reincarnation phase or would he even have a soul(outside of filler) for being an artificial being? If so then might we see the real Cell again, not as a film parody in Mr. Satan's movies or a fear-based vision but in the flesh, resurrected somehow?
Would Cell develop the DBS syndrome of training and getting immensely powerful in a quick amount of time as well as gaining a new transformation, then try to battle the Z Senshi in a rematch to prove his superiority?
Or is he only to shine in the video game canon for the rest of the franchise's history?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Will We Ever See Cell Again?

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 am

The Cell we know, the one defeated by Gohan, is dead and gone and probably reincarnated by now. (or perhaps his soul was deleted soon after he arrived in the afterlife as his existence was considered against the rules?)

However, I wouldn't be against the introduction of a new Cell. Being a product of bio engineering, the building blocks of dna from Gero's project could still survive and exsist somewhere. Waiting for someone to continue the research. (#21?)

A more powerful Cell could then be born,with an improved Perfect form depending on what he would need to achieve it, new cyborgs?

This would give Cell a clean slate, leave resurrection and training to Freeza. Cell being a new version works for him as he was never a natural life form and gives a creepy factor too.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am

theherodjl wrote:Would Cell develop the DBS syndrome of training and getting immensely powerful in a quick amount of time as well as gaining a new transformation, then try to battle the Z Senshi in a rematch to prove his superiority?
On paper Cell has the most theoretical potential in the franchise, as he is essentially Freeza + King Cold + Goku + Vegeta + Gohan + Piccolo (etc.) And DBS has shown us the gargantuan leaps in power the aforementioned can make in relatively short durations of time. Give Cell the same 4mths of training Freeza underwent, for example, and just imagine the level of power he could attain..? Imagine if he trained longer..?

Golden SSB Super-Perfect Cell, perhaps?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 am

I like to think that Cell never attained "Ultimate Perfection" as he seemed to believe and that there is still a greater evolution to his power that he didn't reach, due to the fact that he was killed prematurely and couldn't imagine himself needing anything greater.
My own fan fiction idea I have for Cell is to be revived and requires additional components or conditions to achieve greater power instead of training alone, like he obtains further genetic material then develops a cocoon-like armor that protects him while his innards undergo a metamorphosis. Eventually the armor breaks and he emerges far more powerful, with a new sleek, colorful body with broad butterfly/moth-like wings that emit deadly spores and his tail acts more like a scorpion's to unleash venomous Ki darts that harms flesh. His insectoid features would actually have more of a purpose than simple aesthetic design and deliver a greater sense of danger than merely copying Ki techniques as his means of offense.
One can only dream though. :(

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

Perhaps this new version of Cell would have to travel to different universes to absorb certain beings to reach a new form of perfection? That would bring the cat and mouse hunting to a new interesting level.

I was never a huge Cell fan but the more I think about the possibility's with the new material I actually get excited and wouldn't mind his return.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:10 am

Personally I consider Cell to be separate from Frieza and not related except for the genetics thing. He certainly has Saiyan traits like a keen interest to fight, and from Frieza I think he picked up the cold and slightly condescending cockiness once he reached advanced to the Semi- and Perfect Forms.

---

As for what I'd do with him, I think an interesting angle would be a version of Cell, maybe a reincarnation, maybe one from another Timeline/Dimension, who is a good guy (or at least is making an honest attempt to be a good guy). My inspiration for this is that, when Cell has reached his Perfect Form and holds the Cell Games, for a good while there it felt like Cell could have honestly been reasoned with in calling off the fight. It's later revealed that he can't of course, but I felt like he wouldn't be capable of destroying the planet because destruction and domination wasn't in his list of ambitions, perfection was (but again, we later see that isn't the case, I'm just using this as an inspiration point).

So I imagine a Cell, either reincarnated by Yenma or coming in from a different Timeline/Dimension, who is able to achieve Perfection but fights for the side of good, possibly trying to grapple with the fact that he had to snuff out two innocent lives to do it. And of course he has to contend with all the trust issues that would come from literally all of the good guys, sans Goku.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Not unless Toriyama is interested in him again.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:33 pm

The last thing I want to see in Dragonball is every old villain come back one after the other, so no.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Anything is possible at this point but it all depends on what Toriyama wants to do as he might see one previous villain coming back enough and won't want to bring more back. Toriyama of course won't be writing DB forever so once he's done with Super then the next show's writer could bring him back or like MR.Mark said, a completely new Cell made of Black, Zamasu, and whoever else we get in the future could be a real possibility.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Not unless Toriyama is interested in him again.
That is probably the only way Cell is coming back to Dragon Ball.
Last edited by majinwarman on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:13 am

precita wrote:The last thing I want to see in Dragonball is every old villain come back one after the other, so no.
That is so true. I can deal with Freeza but not everyone.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:22 am

theherodjl wrote:Or is he only to shine in the video game canon for the rest of the franchise's history?
Considering games are far more interesting than the main series these days, it's actually an honor for anyone to "only" shine there (and here's the cool part: anyone indeed can shine there!).

As for the question: I truly hope so. He could bring lots of possibilities for himself and for the ones around him. Golden Cell, Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Cell, a mix of these two forms or an original one, more interactions, information on how S-Cells work in Cell... The list of interesting ideas would just go on with that character. He should have been the one brought back.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Likely not. Freeza had an empire and a bunch of loyal laodogs at his disposal and they were able to discreetly wish him back on Earth.

Cell doesn't have anything like that. Nobody in their right mind would want to wish him back, Gero is long dead.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:45 pm

I hope not. I never liked him in the first place, but there is just no reason to bring him back. Super is already full of ripoffs and brining back old stuff. I prefer to see new characters. I am already tired of seeing Frieza everywhere. This character ended at Namek saga for me. Can't stand what he became from all those appearances in filler episodes, movies, GT and now DBS.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

CTown

Post by CTown » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:21 pm

theherodjl wrote:Freeza's soul is such a wicked one that the reincarnation process of Hell had not cleansed him even 10 years after his death by Trunks, does that mean Cell, being a abomination of science with the black heart of Freeza, would still be in a reincarnation phase or would he even have a soul(outside of filler) for being an artificial being? If so then might we see the real Cell again, not as a film parody in Mr. Satan's movies or a fear-based vision but in the flesh, resurrected somehow?
Would Cell develop the DBS syndrome of training and getting immensely powerful in a quick amount of time as well as gaining a new transformation, then try to battle the Z Senshi in a rematch to prove his superiority?
Or is he only to shine in the video game canon for the rest of the franchise's history?
sunset is right. Pretty much every major bad guy has returned already except for Cell. But still, I love the premise you have given. The only way I would be fine for Cell to be reincarnated is if he was reborn into an Alien species to introduce something new. I agree that he was nowhere as evil as Freeza. He was programmed to be the way he did. I'm sure reflecting on his interactions with the heros, he could have realized what Gero taught him is not the only way to live. (Plus, he has Piccolo's genes, a character that has found the righteous path twice as Kami and Piccolo Jr.)

What we could have is a character from a different type of species. Maybe Tuffle, since they could easily have been on Earth all along. His family has been hiding on Earth for a while now; when his mother gave birth to him. Thus, he is a natural citizen of Earth (putting him in Yemma's domain). So, Ures would be born as a Tuffle on Earth.

Ures has lately been having dreams where he is fighting a blond adolescent in a duel to the death. The dream always ends with the blond kid winning the fight; thus re-burning his image into Ures's mind. One day in school, the teacher tells him to open his textbook to Chapter 12, only to find the blond kid older but with black hair... letting Ures seek out his nightly adversary. Or perhaps since Tuffle's are intellectually gifted, he ends up working under Gohan in an internship...

To our heroes' surprise, Ures is revealed to be the reincarnation of Cell when he is found to have characteristics not known to his people such as regeneration (Namekians), insanely naturally powerful/cunning (Friza's race), and a strong incline to training and fighting (Saiyan). He would also carry the baggage of the Tuffle people.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:53 pm

If you want to get technical, we did see Cell again in Super:

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:If you want to get technical, we did see Cell again in Super:

I stated in the OP "not as a fear based vision but in the flesh, resurrected somehow?"
On a different note, what is up with some of heights of these villains? Super Boo shrunk to Cell's height, Dabura is now as tall as Piccolo Daimao, and Vegeta is shorter than Freeza. I'm guessing that if Broly were among them then he'd stand behind Cell & Tambourine and be like 20 feet tall.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:22 am

I would be waaaay disappointed if Cell never got a return to Super or a future DB series. My first post on this forum was about how Cell could've been brought in for the ToP. I feel that there's so much more to explore there with the character if Toriyama/TOEI so chooses. "Perfect" Cell is easily my favorite antagonist in the entire DB universe, perhaps for reasons that we haven't seen yet.

Out-of-universe: It seems that Shueisha/TOEI doesn't see Cell popular enough to put in all of the work to bring the character back for long term (his design by itself appears to be not-so-fun to draw/animate). I have an idea -- build Cell's popularity by bringing him back! How else can a character get popular if he's not given the exposure. Super has had plenty of "warming up" time (the production team should be able to handle it now). C'mon Shueisha/Dragon Room! Cell figurines would be HOT!! sellers.

In universe: If given the same accommodations that Freeza has been given in Super, Cell would be too much for anyone to handle -- he possesses all of the traits that go into disciplined training to become stronger (unlike Boo and Freeza), and we know that Cell has by far the most potential of any character out there, if we're applying DB logic (especially Super logic). There's no ceiling for this guy if given the time. If brought back as he was, he already possesses the ability of Shunkan Idō!, plus it's been alluded to, by himself, that he can perform Kaio-ken!! and his variation of the Genki Dama!!. That's just his base abilities. I would propose working Cell into being a neutral character by forcing him to team up to take on a bigger threat, like previous antagonists (sans Freeza). Maybe even give him a clean slate, since we've had all of these other super-powerful characters introduced in recent years. If we think about it, Cell -- in his few days of existence -- wasn't any worse than Saiyajin arc Vegeta as a threat (although it took several years for Vegeta to come around).

Need I even mention Wakamoto Norio... ? He would have to be the voice if this were to happen, although I wouldn't be expecting the same powerful performance that he gave twenty five years ago at his current age. One last hurrah for this legend, please.

So yeah... I think that we should see Cell again in a DB TV series.