Are Saiyans rapists?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Are Saiyans rapists?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 pm

They... probably were, if you think about it. They Saiyans don't really think of much of mating, and given how Nappa proposed the idea of breeding the women of Earth, and how savage and tribal the natural instinct of a pure blooded Saiyan is, something tells me they would have no qualms with forcing themselves onto another "spouse" for the sake of reproduction.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Would it be much different than in real life? Ancient barbarians, vikings, etc. were known to pillage entire villages and rape the women.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: And yet Nappa had no problem suggesting they go mate with a bunch of Earth women, like Lionel above you points out. Wouldn't be hard to imagine they wouldn't take no for an answer, if they decided to do it, much like didn't give them a chance to live upon arriving on Earth.
And this is a series filled with violence and death, rape being implied in that context shouldn't be that surprising, even if society is skewed towards being more open to seeing brutal murders, than rapes in media.

I dont remember this at all....
It was actually only in the manga, the anime skipped it.
Nope, it is in the anime as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ttQm1-PQA
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 am

Attitudefan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

I dont remember this at all....
It was actually only in the manga, the anime skipped it.
Nope, it is in the anime as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ttQm1-PQA
I could have sworn there was something in that scene the anime skipped

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:28 am

I wonder if a race of monkey people who commit genocide also commit rape?

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:00 am

ToshioWrites wrote:I wonder if a race of monkey people who commit genocide also commit rape?
Wait you talking bout saiyans or humans?
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:I wonder if a race of monkey people who commit genocide also commit rape?
I don't see why it can't apply to both.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:35 pm

Pantalones wrote:And the Saiyan mindset wants a good fight to test their strength, we see it over and over again with Goku and Vegeta either letting enemies survive to grow stronger or outright letting them reach higher forms when the lower form wasn't strong enough to satisfy them -- that's basically the opposite of a rapist who wants to easily overpower their victim in order to get what they want from them, whether they like it or not.
This is a good point, but I think the idea that all saiyans want strong battles is a bit of a myth. Were Raditz and Nappa interested in genuine challenges and testing themselves? Was Vegeta, before he was influenced by Goku? Or did all three of them focus more on the sadistic pleasure of easily dominating victims, then freak out, panic, bargain, whine, etc whenever things actually became tough?

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
This thread just got philosophical.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:23 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
Pantalones wrote:And the Saiyan mindset wants a good fight to test their strength, we see it over and over again with Goku and Vegeta either letting enemies survive to grow stronger or outright letting them reach higher forms when the lower form wasn't strong enough to satisfy them -- that's basically the opposite of a rapist who wants to easily overpower their victim in order to get what they want from them, whether they like it or not.
This is a good point, but I think the idea that all saiyans want strong battles is a bit of a myth. Were Raditz and Nappa interested in genuine challenges and testing themselves? Was Vegeta, before he was influenced by Goku? Or did all three of them focus more on the sadistic pleasure of easily dominating victims, then freak out, panic, bargain, whine, etc whenever things actually became tough?
Other then Nappa's suggestion of using human women to revive the Saiyan population, we don't have a single instance of any Saiyan suggesting rape or any sexual act of any kind. They're more concerned with beating beings with their fists, to test their might/true power. And only used intercourse to breed back on their home planet. Basically, an asexual race that only reproduced when necessary.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:It seems U7 Saiyans were probably up to no good.
No. We aren't animals. We're just like everyone else. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the whole bunch. If you kick us out, who will cut your...I mean save Earth?

Is this really a question? I really can't say we've seen this tendency in Saiyajin. I'm honestly confused right now.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:25 am

They killed billions of beings for the fun of it so I highly doubt rape is where they drew the line.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 am

In a realistic setting, they would be, but the Dragon universe is not a realistic setting.

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:10 pm

rereboy wrote:In a realistic setting, they would be, but the Dragon universe is not a realistic setting.
Even arguing that it would be a realistic scenario is ignoring the history of warfare. Having established rules when you go to war is part of what makes a civilization. Raping is off the table for any people who wish to be seen as civilized. Plus, Dragonball is not that type of anime/manga. I think we can best leave that to Fist of the North Star.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:01 pm

I'd say so yeah.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:17 pm

sintzu wrote:They killed billions of beings for the fun of it so I highly doubt rape is where they drew the line.
It's not about being on or off the table, its are they even interested in mating. Toriyama has stated that they hardly do it with in their own race so why would they suddenly feel the urge to rape some one of another race.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball being a kids' series says "no." Realism regrettably says "probably, yes."

Nappa was even excited over the potential for human-Saiyan hybrids to be stronger than pure Saiyans, and I doubt he was talking about finding Mrs. Right.
Why are we assuming that "sex by force" the only option available to Nappa. He seemed like an attractive looking guy, and with his strength and good looks could easily find large numbers of females to hage sex with. Failing that, prostitutes are still an option.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 am

Bardock the Mexican wrote: Even arguing that it would be a realistic scenario is ignoring the history of warfare. Having established rules when you go to war is part of what makes a civilization. Raping is off the table for any people who wish to be seen as civilized. Plus, Dragonball is not that type of anime/manga. I think we can best leave that to Fist of the North Star.
With that I don't really agree. In their behavior, the saiyans are much more akin to vikings and old world conquerors than modern day army officers. Precisely taking into account history is the reason why I'm pretty sure that if it was realistic the saiyans would rape.
Bruma rabu wrote: It's not about being on or off the table, its are they even interested in mating. Toriyama has stated that they hardly do it with in their own race so why would they suddenly feel the urge to rape some one of another race.
Rape is more about violence and dominating another than it is about sex or mating.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:00 am

rereboy wrote:Rape is more about violence and dominating another than it is about sex or mating.
That is debatable.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
rereboy wrote:Rape is more about violence and dominating another than it is about sex or mating.
That is debatable.
Everything is debatable if we really want to analyze it, but there is a large agreement on that notion by professionals, at least in a modern setting. It's possible that Saiyans, like human per-historic men, would not actually see rape as something really different from other kinds of sex. In that case, what I said isn't that relevant.