Dragon Ball Timelines Explained (Theory)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dragon Ball Timelines Explained (Theory)

Post by shadowfox87 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:30 am

This thread is old. Go here for the new one: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =8&t=42105
Last edited by shadowfox87 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 61 times in total.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Black Hawk
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Timelines Explained (Theory)

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 am

Absolutely excellent read! If I understood everything correctly, I, with a very select few exceptions, agree completely! As a fellow Dragon Ball timeline hypothesist (since theorist wouldn't be the correct term), I applaud you, my friend! This is way more eloquently thought-out and organized than I could have possibly detailed on my own. :clap:

Edit: To make sure I understand your exposition correctly, does the following accurately match up with your beliefs, for the most part?

[spoiler]Note: All characters are native to the timeline they are listed in unless their names are paired with numbers.

Timeline 1 "Original Timeline"
-Original unaltered timeline
-Gokū's fate is unknown.
-Trunks' fate is unknown.
-17's and 18's fates are unknown.
-Cell's fate is unknown.
-Zamas' fate is unknown

Timeline 2 "Cell's Timeline"
-Created by the Universe 12 traveler
-Gokū dies of a heart virus.
-Trunks is killed by Cell.
-17 and 18 are deactivated and destroyed by Trunks.
-Cell is killed by Gohan5/6. His fate in Timeline 4 is unknown.
-Zamas' fate is unknown.

Timeline 3 "Unseen Timeline"
-Created by Trunks2
-Gokū is saved from the heart virus but his ultimate fate is unknown.
-Trunks' ultimate fate is unknown.
-17's and 18's fates are unknown, but they likely join the team.
-Cell is likely killed by Trunks2 and Kurilin, but his ultimate fate is unknown.
-Zamas' fate is unknown.
-Note: I'm not sure how a Cell Game could take place in this timeline, as it wasn't invaded by a Cell from another timeline. Even if the Cell native to this timeline was allowed to grow and flourish in Gero's laboratory, he doesn't activate until around Age 786.

Timeline 4 "Trunks' Timeline"
-Created by Cell2, destroyed by Zen-chan
-Trunks coexists with himself7 in Timeline 7.
-17 and 18 are killed by Trunks.
-Cell is killed by Trunks in a failed ambush.
-Zamas is killed as the Zamas half of Infinite Zamas by Zen-chan.
-Note: As no Cell invaded Timeline 2, yet Trunks2 was attacked and killed by a Cell2, that Cell2 had to be the Cell2 who was native to Timeline 2, having grown in Gero's laboratory; therefore, the Cell who who attacked Trunks in this timeline has the same backstory, having grown in Gero's laboratory. With that in mind, the fate of Cell2 who came to this timeline and burrowed into the ground is, strangely, unknown. His counterpart (more like a copy of himself due to Trunks) in Timeline 5 was killed by Gohan, for reference.

Timeline 5 "Black's Timeline", formerly "Main Timeline"
-Created by Trunks4
-Gokū is killed by Zamas after his body is stolen.
-17 and 18's fates are unknown, perhaps killed by Gokū Black.
-Trunks is likely killed by Gokū Black.
-Cell is killed by Trunks4 and Kurilin.
-Zamas is killed as the Black half of Infinite Zamas by Zen-chan4.
-Cell2 is part of this timeline's history, as he arrived in Timeline 4 in Age 763, after which Trunks2 used the time machine and created Timeline 5, splitting it from Timeline 4 at Age 764, a year after Cell's arrival, making his presence part of Timeline 5 from its creation. This is the Cell2 killed by Gohan.

Timeline 6 "Main Timeline" or "New Main Timeline"
-Created by Beerus
-Gokū leaves with Oob.
-Trunks watches Gokū leave with Oob.
-18 watches Gokū leave with Oob; 17 likely returns to his family.
-Cell is killed by Trunks4 and Kurilin because it's a branch-off from Timeline 5 at a later date.
-Zamas is destroyed by Beerus.

Timeline 7 "Two Trunks Timeline"
-Created by Trunks4
-Gokū dies of a heart virus because it's a branch-off from Timeline 4 at a later date.
-Trunks coexists with himself4 from Timeline 4.
-17 and 18 are killed by Trunks because it's a branch-off from Timeline 4 at a later date.
-Cell is killed by Trunks in a failed ambush because it's a branch-off from Timeline 4 at a later date.
-Zamas is sealed away forever by Whis.[/spoiler]
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:55 am

So much time shenanigans, Toriyama & Toei must be Dr. Who fans.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am

Black Hawk wrote:Absolutely excellent read! If I understood everything correctly, I, with a very select few exceptions, agree completely! As a fellow Dragon Ball timeline hypothesist (since theorist wouldn't be the correct term), I applaud you, my friend! This is way more eloquently thought-out and organized than I could have possibly detailed on my own. :clap:

Edit: To make sure I understand your exposition correctly, does the following accurately match up with your beliefs, for the most part?

[spoiler]Note: All characters are native to the timeline they are listed in unless their names are paired with numbers.

Timeline 1 "Original Timeline"
-Original unaltered timeline
-Gokū's fate is unknown.
-Trunks' fate is unknown.
-17's and 18's fates are unknown.
-Cell's fate is unknown.
-Zamas' fate is unknown

Timeline 2 "Cell's Timeline"
-Created by the Universe 12 traveler
-Trunks is killed by Cell.
-17 and 18 are deactivated and destroyed by Trunks.
-Cell is killed by Gohan5/6. His fate in Timeline 4 is unknown.
-Zamas' fate is unknown.

Timeline 3 "Unseen Timeline"
-Created by Trunks2
-Gokū is saved from the heart virus but his ultimate fate is unknown.
-Trunks' ultimate fate is unknown.
-17's and 18's fates are unknown, but they likely join the team.
-Cell is likely killed by Trunks2 and Kurilin, but his ultimate fate is unknown.
-Zamas' fate is unknown.
-Note: I'm not sure how a Cell Game could take place in this timeline, as it wasn't invaded by a Cell from another timeline. Even if the Cell native to this timeline was allowed to grow and flourish in Gero's laboratory, he doesn't activate until around Age 786.

Timeline 4 "Trunks' Timeline"
-Created by Cell2, destroyed by Zen-chan
-Trunks coexists with himself7 in Timeline 7.
-17 and 18 are killed by Trunks.
-Cell is killed by Trunks in a failed ambush.
-Zamas is killed as the Zamas half of Infinite Zamas by Zen-chan.
-Note: As no Cell invaded Timeline 2, yet Trunks2 was attacked and killed by a Cell2, that Cell2 had to be the Cell2 who was native to Timeline 2, having grown in Gero's laboratory; therefore, the Cell who who attacked Trunks in this timeline has the same backstory, having grown in Gero's laboratory. With that in mind, the fate of Cell2 who came to this timeline and burrowed into the ground is, strangely, unknown. His counterpart (more like a copy of himself due to Trunks) in Timeline 5 was killed by Gohan, for reference.

Timeline 5 "Black's Timeline", formerly "Main Timeline"
-Created by Trunks4
-Gokū is killed by Zamas after his body is stolen.
-17 and 18's fates are unknown, perhaps killed by Gokū Black.
-Trunks is likely killed by Gokū Black.
-Cell is killed by Trunks4 and Kurilin.
-Zamas is killed as the Black half of Infinite Zamas by Zen-chan4.
-Cell2 is part of this timeline's history, as he arrived in Timeline 4 in Age 763, after which Trunks2 used the time machine and created Timeline 5, splitting it from Timeline 4 at Age 764, a year after Cell's arrival, making his presence part of Timeline 5 from its creation. This is the Cell2 killed by Gohan.

Timeline 6 "Main Timeline" or "New Main Timeline"
-Created by Beerus
-Gokū leaves with Oob.
-Trunks watches Gokū leave with Oob.
-18 watches Gokū leave with Oob; 17 likely returns to his family.
-Cell is killed by Trunks4 and Kurilin because it's a branch-off from Timeline 5 at a later date.
-Zamas is destroyed by Beerus.

Timeline 7 "Two Trunks Timeline"
-Created by Trunks4
-Gokū dies of a heart virus because it's a branch-off from Timeline 4 at a later date.
-Trunks coexists with himself4 from Timeline 4.
-17 and 18 are killed by Trunks because it's a branch-off from Timeline 4 at a later date.
-Cell is killed by Trunks in a failed ambush because it's a branch-off from Timeline 4 at a later date.
-Zamas is sealed away forever by Whis.[/spoiler]
Hi thanks! I'm glad that someone was able to read the whole thing. I was afraid I made it too long. The naming convention for the first four timelines was decided by Toei. So I agree with yours, but we need to convert your Timeline numbers:

Your Timeline 1 is Timeline 3, the original timeline. The fates of Trunks, 17, 18, and Cell are known. This is the timeline in which Cell kills Trunks and takes the time machine.

Your Timeline 3 should be Timeline 4, the Unseen timeline.
Your Timeline 4 should be Timeline 2, the Future Trunks Timeline.
Your Timeline 2 in which you stated was created by the Universe 12 traveler should be Timeline 5. What happens in this timeline is a mystery, but should be very similar to Timeline 3 (Your Timeline 1).

Your Timeline 6 should be Timeline 1, or the current main timeline.
Lastly, your Timeline 5 should be Timeline 6, or the former main timeline.

Otherwise, I do agree!
Last edited by shadowfox87 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 am

theherodjl wrote:So much time shenanigans, Toriyama & Toei must be Dr. Who fans.
Yea...I honestly don't know how Toriyama sensei sorts it out himself. He probably doesn't at the end of the day, but I'm glad I found a way to sort it out for myself.

LarryKoopa

Post by LarryKoopa » Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Sorry to necropost, but I don’t get how there’s a timeline where Cell traveled to the past and Trunks doesn’t find out. Is it just happenstance? It seems entirely more likely to me that the unseen timeline didn’t have a time-traveling Cell, and as a result did not have a Cell games.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:59 pm

LarryKoopa wrote:Sorry to necropost, but I don’t get how there’s a timeline where Cell traveled to the past and Trunks doesn’t find out. Is it just happenstance? It seems entirely more likely to me that the unseen timeline didn’t have a time-traveling Cell, and as a result did not have a Cell games.
The Unseen Timeline though has already been defined in the Daizenshuu as a timeline with a Cell Games without Trunks. If you read my explanation in the first post, a timeline is not created each time someone goes to the past. Rather, a timeline is created when there's a significant change. Cell traveled back in time but hibernated for 3 years. Trunks saw the photos of Cell's cocoon and this is what caused a split in the timeline. Therefore, there is a timeline in which Trunks returns to the future with the blueprints he found from Dr. Gero's basement lab and one where he stayed and trained. There's no other explanation to fit the Unseen Timeline.