Universe Survival in Future Timeline

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Stonefallow

Universe Survival in Future Timeline

Post by Stonefallow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:48 pm

We are told in the story that Zeno was planning on erasing all 8 of the weaker universes all along. I think it's safe to assume that Future Zeno was planning to do the same thing to the future universes. In this timeline, there was no Goku to meet Zeno and convince him to hold the tournament of power. That means that in the future, no tournament of power was held in age 780 and in age 796 Universes 7 and 10 have still not been erased.

There are a few possible conclusions that could be drawn:

1. The erasing of universes was just for the tournament and it really was Goku's fault that the weaker universes got erased.
2. Zeno forgot.
3. Zeno was being lazy/still making up his mind for the past 16 years. (Goku sped up Zeno's decision by forcing the idea of a tournament)
4. Immortal Zamasu/Goku Black somehow changed the power scaling for those two universes, putting them in the "strong universe" category. (Unlikely, for several reasons.)

In my opinion, I think the answer that makes the most sense is that Zeno forgot about destroying the universes. He only remembered in the main timeline because of Goku.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Universe Survival in Future Timeline

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:10 pm

In the manga continuity the two Zenos got the idea to get rid of a few universes because the game they were playing had too many pieces. They were getting bored with that and found out a lot of the Universes weren't improving so they decided to weed out the 'bad' ones. In this case it seems as though the presence of two Zenos is what lead to that particular chain events so it didn't happen in the other timelines because they only had one.

In the anime we never see him come to that decision, just hear about it after the fact from the Grand Priest. I'd guess he probably got distracted and just forgot about it.

Stonefallow

Post by Stonefallow » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm

I haven't read the manga, but that's good to know. If that's the case then it's still pretty much Goku's fault, since he's the one that bought Mirai Zeno back to the present.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Stonefallow wrote:I haven't read the manga, but that's good to know. If that's the case then it's still pretty much Goku's fault, since he's the one that bought Mirai Zeno back to the present.
It's in the first 5-6 pages of Chapter 28 if you want to see how it plays out. Goku shows up right after that to ask about the tournament.