Movie Canon

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Movie Canon

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Which movies can fit into the canon of the main story, be it either the manga or the anime (minus filler of course)?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Re: Movie Canon

Post by Onibaku » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm

DB's 4 movies are retellings so they don't fit anywhere.

Z's 13 movies all have things that prevent them from fitting perfectly but this is where I put them :

1 : Before Z.
2,3,4,5 & 6 : The 3 year wait for the androids.
7 : On the way to the room of spirit and time they decide to stop and eat at that mall before going.
8 : Bfore the Cell games.
9 : After the Cell games.
10 : before the 25th Tenkaichi.
11 : :sick:
12 : An alternate timeline where Gotenks kills Fat Buu before he can split.
13 : After Kid Buu's defeat

BOG & RF : Said to be a continuation of the manga by Toriyama.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Most people agree that Revenge of Cooler can quite snugly fit in the two year gap before the Androids show up. For the rest I like the idea that they exist in their own twisted version of the anime canon in order to make them work, but that obviously is in no way official and is just a fun "me" thing. BoG and RoF are considered canon due to Toriyama's direct involvement in the story-writing process and the integration into Super.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:05 pm

sintzu wrote:DB's 4 movies are retellings so they don't fit anywhere.

Z's 13 movies all have things that prevent them from fitting perfectly but this is where I put them :

7 : On the way to the room of spirit and time they decide to stop and eat at that mall before going.

What about the Bojack movie is an inconsistency to the canon? It seems like there isn’t anything that contradicts with this one and Goku being dead fits right in with after the Cell games.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:What about the Bojack movie is an inconsistency to the canon? It seems like there isn’t anything that contradicts with this one and Goku being dead fits right in with after the Cell games.
I tend to agree here, most of the contradictions could be sorted out by saying "It takes place before Trunks cuts his hair and returns to his own time".

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:46 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:What about the Bojack movie is an inconsistency to the canon? It seems like there isn’t anything that contradicts with this one and Goku being dead fits right in with after the Cell games.
I know this is probably more of a cop-out answer than anything else, but I feel like Future Trunks kind of prevents any of the movies from his first appearance onward from being able to fit into the main story; even disregarding inconsistencies that keep the films from fitting into the continuity, what became of the likes of Broli, Bojack, Janenba, and Hildegarn in Trunks' timeline or how did he deal with them? What happened when Paragus learned that there were still Saiyajin on Earth? The punk working for Yama still likely would have screwed up on the job and turned into Janenba; was Paikūhan able to deal with Janenba on his own? Did the already deceased Gokū help or perhaps even deal with Janenba on his own somehow? What happened when Hoi found Tapion's music box? Piccolo is dead, so the Dragon Balls can't be used to open it, so did Hildegarn never become an issue?

To me, there are just too many unknown that come up because of Future Trunks to place any films in the main continuity without complicating things to an "It's not worth it" level; that's just my opinion, though, as I'm a stickler for keeping track of things like that.

I do, however, think that some of the movies can be placed as what-ifs of the main continuity, such as Movie 01 taking place if Raditz had died before revealing that Vegeta and Nappa would come to Earth, Movies 02 and 03 taking place if Kurilin killed Vegeta before he could escape, Movie 11 taking place if SSJ3 Gokū killed Boo, and Movie 12 taking place if SSJ1 Gotenks killed Boo. Things of that nature.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Most of the movies work more as what-if scenarios, considering they are not supposed to be part of the canon. The only movie that could hypothetically fit on the timeline is Movie 13 (Wrath of the Dragon) but nowadays it doesn't because Tapion takes the Time Machine with him at the end of the movie, whereas it's revealed on Super that Bulma still has the Time Machine.

Dunno about Movie 9 though. The only inconsistence is Trunks hair being long, while he had short hair when he was going to visit the Z Fighters on the past.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Dunno about Movie 9 though. The only inconsistence is Trunks hair being long, while he had short hair when he was going to visit the Z Fighters on the past.
My hand-wave for that is that it takes place after the Cell Games (where he had long hair) but before he returns to his own time (where it's short).

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:42 pm

KBABZ wrote:My hand-wave for that is that it takes place after the Cell Games (where he had long hair) but before he returns to his own time (where it's short).
Trunks left the day after the Cell Games, though it's possible to fit the movie there since it's all in a day. The only inconsistence is that it's after Tenshinhan left saying he'd never see the Z Fighters again, but it's possible he opened an exception to fight in that Tournament before leaving forever.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:My hand-wave for that is that it takes place after the Cell Games (where he had long hair) but before he returns to his own time (where it's short).
Trunks left the day after the Cell Games, though it's possible to fit the movie there since it's all in a day. The only inconsistence is that it's after Tenshinhan left saying he'd never see the Z Fighters again, but it's possible he opened an exception to fight in that Tournament before leaving forever.
While I do think it’s possible TECHNICALLY that it could take place the day after that seems really far fetched. Not to mention everyone seems super ok with Goku being dead in an extremely short amount of time, which makes them seem pretty heartless to not grieve at all. The more I think about it the more things I find wrong.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Yeah, they should be mourning if it's the day after Goku's death, instead only Vegeta is.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 pm

I've only consumed the Cell Arc via DBZ Kai's dub, where the exact time of Trunks' departure wasn't stated. I'm guessing it's a manga detail maybe?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 pm

KBABZ wrote:Most people agree that Revenge of Cooler can quite snugly fit in the two year gap before the Androids show up. For the rest I like the idea that they exist in their own twisted version of the anime canon in order to make them work, but that obviously is in no way official and is just a fun "me" thing. BoG and RoF are considered canon due to Toriyama's direct involvement in the story-writing process and the integration into Super.
The problem with the first Cooler movie is that Goku couldn't turn SSJ at will like he did when he first returned to Earth. He needed some kind of emotional trauma to do it like he did on Namek.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Most people agree that Revenge of Cooler can quite snugly fit in the two year gap before the Androids show up. For the rest I like the idea that they exist in their own twisted version of the anime canon in order to make them work, but that obviously is in no way official and is just a fun "me" thing. BoG and RoF are considered canon due to Toriyama's direct involvement in the story-writing process and the integration into Super.
The problem with the first Cooler movie is that Goku couldn't turn SSJ at will like he did when he first returned to Earth. He needed some kind of emotional trauma to do it like he did on Namek.
-throws it in the bin with the rest of the movies-

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
My Understanding of the movie is that Goku wanted to fight Cooler without using the SSJ, seeing the death bird was like a slap to his sense saying stop being stubborn already and go full power already, earth lifes is at stakes.

As for the question hmmmm ? For me two movie can fit into the canon.

Cooler first movie and Bojack movie, before Super came a third one could have fit it was Hirudegarn movie.

But if you ask me how make the movie fit into the timeline with of course a bit of a rewriting I'll say like this:

Before the Saiyan arc Garlic Jr takes place
During the Saiyan Arc you play into the game Tullece and his gang as a third messing party with Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta being the second one
The Namek Arc is perfect to include Slug into the brawl
Before Frieza come back to earth why not mix Dr Uiro scheme with Garlic Jr come back
After Frieza death by Trunks, Cooler shows up and one year later so during the three years gap before the Cyborg, Metal Cooler shows up on new namek.
During the last year before the Cyborg and Cell, Super C-13 shows up.
The Cyborg saga pass as per usual then come Bojack but can have Broly (first movie in the 10 days allowed by Cell)
During the Great Saiyaman saga you have Broly return and Bio Broly
During Majin Buu saga you mix Janemba into the brawl
Then you have Hirudegarn Before or After Tarble
And you have Beerus, Frieza (again) the arc U6/U7 Tournament with Champa, then follow Black/Zamasu and then the ToP.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:
sintzu wrote:DB's 4 movies are retellings so they don't fit anywhere.

What about the Bojack movie is an inconsistency to the canon? It seems like there isn’t anything that contradicts with this one and Goku being dead fits right in with after the Cell games.
Goku shouldn't have been able to go back to earth but that's very small compared to what the other movies did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 am

Outside of BOG and ROF, the only two that can fit in no problem is Bojack Unbound and Wrath of the dragon. They both can fit in without too much problems.

The other ones I can see fitting but can need a bit of finagle is Dead Zone, Cooler's Revenge, Broly, and Broly's Second Coming.

Dead Zone, the only real thing to get over is the fact the gang already know who Gohan is.

Cooler's revenge, shouldn't be too much of an issue, I'd say Goku didn't turn Super Saiyan until the end was more for Dramatic effect.

Broly can be squeezed in the 10 days before the Cell Games.

Broly's Second Coming can fit into the month of training before the World Tournament. Videl is knocked out through most of the fighting, so she doesn't really see Gohan transform into a Super Saiyan.

All the other movies, can't really fit at all.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Outside of BOG and ROF, the only two that can fit in no problem is Bojack Unbound and Wrath of the dragon. They both can fit in without too much problems.

The other ones I can see fitting but can need a bit of finagle is Dead Zone, Cooler's Revenge, Broly, and Broly's Second Coming.

Dead Zone, the only real thing to get over is the fact the gang already know who Gohan is.

Cooler's revenge, shouldn't be too much of an issue, I'd say Goku didn't turn Super Saiyan until the end was more for Dramatic effect.

Broly can be squeezed in the 10 days before the Cell Games.

Broly's Second Coming can fit into the month of training before the World Tournament. Videl is knocked out through most of the fighting, so she doesn't really see Gohan transform into a Super Saiyan.

All the other movies, can't really fit at all.
However small Kuririn not knowing Gohan is a plot hole.
Goku not knowing super saiyan easily is a plot hole, he wants a good fight but his best mate and Kid nearly died.

He would have gone super to save Gohan from Coolers death beam, he likes a challenge but not to literally take a near fatal wound and expect to escape, heal, and have a another shot. That's insane risk even for Goku. Also If Cooler did exist he'd probably have coordinated with Cold, and been mentioned in RoF and so on. Also they should be training if it's during the android wait, not fucking around camping also Piccolo was with them during the android wait, he should have been with them from the beginning. Tenshinhan Yamcha and Chaozu would have shown up too. It just doesn't fit all round.

Metal cooler isn't because of 1 and also he would have killed the future Gohan and or Trunks. And probably eventually the droids too.

Brolys power scaling is off, Gohan SS1 was actually above Goku based on his assessment of Cell vs Goku, and they aren't perma super saiyans. No one tries to grades to blast Broly or donate energy. Cell let's everyone leave earth without protest. And it's not 5 days away each way by ship? Broly in Trunks timeline?

Broly 2 because of Broly 1 and where is Vegeta, Piccolo, Tenshinhan and Yamcha??

Unbound has the timing of Trunks being there and his hair. Kaiosama not warning them right after his planet blows up or at least right after Cell? And Goku coming to earth while dead without a witch is absolute Toei wanking BS.

Gohan being a hesitant wimp about ss2 after learning his lesson against Cell and easily being able to do it in Buu despite his then rustiness? Tenshinhan saying they'd never see him again.

13 I'm not sure about.... I guess just the BS scaling of Goku being wanked over Ultimate Gohan... I've only seen it once TBH.

Bog and ROF are retconned by Super.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:the only two that can fit in no problem is Bojack Unbound and Wrath of the dragon. They both can fit in without too much problems.
Bulma knowing how to create a Time Machine/fixing the one she already had and giving it to Tapion is a huge plothole, as we see in Dragon Ball Super, Toei's version of Future Trunks saga.
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Broly can be squeezed in the 10 days before the Cell Games.
Dragon Ball Minus contradicts Movie 8 if you take Gine's words literally, as Goku was born in AGE 736, while in the movie he was born in AGE 737. Also, Goku spent three years/around three years inside an incubator, while in the movie he was somewhere else.
TobyS wrote:Bog and ROF are retconned by Super.
What truly happens is that Toei and Toyotaro created their own continuity. It is a retcon only by those who consider one of them instead of the movies. However, people can still consider the movies instead of the retellings as well if they want to.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~