Vegeta's Final Flash against Jiren (how fast was it going?)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jedi486

Vegeta's Final Flash against Jiren (how fast was it going?)

Post by jedi486 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

So I after I watched episode 122 where Vegeta shoots that huge final flash it got me thinking if I could figure out how fast that beam was going. So I decided to put math and the anime together and this is the result I got. Of course this could be totally wrong since we are putting physics to an anime. First, there are a few things we need to find before we can get the speed. Those are Jiren’s estimated hight, we have to scale him down, find the distance from where to where the beam travels and how long does it take for the beam to get there. So let’s start with Jiren’s height. We don’t know exactly how tall he is but we can come up with an estimate. Goku is supposed to be somewhere around 5’9, Jiren looks a lot taller. He looks like he could be anywhere from 6’2” to 6’4”. So we will just say that Jiren is 6’4”, since to me it seems about right. 6’4” in inches is 76 inches. Now, we have to scale him down. In the image where he is standing waiting for the beam his is about 9 1/4 inches on my screen. So we take the 76 from his height and divide it by the 9 1/4 inches and it gives us the scale ratio which is 8.21:1. And this is the number we are going to use to get the distance that the beam travels.

Now we will find out what is the distance from point A to point B. In my scale, the distance from point A to point B is about 12” 1/2 so when you multiply it by the ratio it equals 102 meaning that the distance between point A and Point B is 102” or 8’ 1/2. Now that we have that, all we need to know is how long it takes for the Final Flash to make it from point A to point B. It only takes 1 frame to cover around 8’ 1/2. Since Dragon Ball runs at 24 fps and it takes only one frame for the for the Final Flash to to get from point A to point B we end up with 1/24. And that’s it. Now we solve the problem and we get the result. Vegeta’s Final Flash hit Jiren at about 139 mph. I personally thought it was going to be a lot faster but nonetheless 139 mph is fast. Where you expecting it to be faster or slower? This was actually pretty fun to make. Maybe I'll do more of these in the future.

Btw, If you would like to see a video version, you can click the link below since it is easier to understand with visuals.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Vegeta's Final Flash against Jiren (how fast was it going?)

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm

It's pretty obvious that the animation isn't in real time (otherwise the ToP would be over in your 2-3 episodes) so calculations like this are kind of pointless.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:53 pm

I agree with Polyphase and calculating it is pointless also because a vast majority of the time, it creates nonsensical results but even if you want to do so, you're missing a big variable which is that the everything is happening in a small time-frame. Assuming irl 22 minutes is equal to a ToP minute then the attack would be closer to 3,058 mph or about 4 times the speed of sound. This doesn't take into account that the episodes are likely not progressing in a linear time-frame.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 pm

After thinking on it and plugging it into a calculator, 139 MPH converted to feet traveled per second comes out at about 203.86 feet per second which is plausible enough for this scene I suppose if Jiren was willing to wait however long it took. Though as others have pointed out, fights on the God level in the DBverse are actually a lot faster than what ordinary humans can perceive by any comparatively measurable units. Dyspo was stated to move beyond the speed of light or 186,000 miles per second so any distance he is seen moving by frames or screen format cannot even come close to depicting his actual speed, there'd need to be several reels of film just to demonstrate a single traveling motion of Dyspo without taking artistic shortcuts. Then we got Jiren who is ridiculously faster, even shocking Dyspo when its discovered that Jiren flew to the present world that the Pride Troopers were on from another planet across the universe without a spaceship in like a day. Jiren even says that "it was faster" that way. :shock:
The beam's speed is however fast it needs to be in the end, it makes little difference in using any amount of measurements for any speculative calculation.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

jedi486

Post by jedi486 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:It's pretty obvious that the animation isn't in real time (otherwise the ToP would be over in your 2-3 episodes) so calculations like this are kind of pointless.
True, it's just for fun though.

jedi486

Post by jedi486 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 am

Helios518 wrote:I agree with Polyphase and calculating it is pointless also because a vast majority of the time, it creates nonsensical results but even if you want to do so, you're missing a big variable which is that the everything is happening in a small time-frame. Assuming irl 22 minutes is equal to a ToP minute then the attack would be closer to 3,058 mph or about 4 times the speed of sound. This doesn't take into account that the episodes are likely not progressing in a linear time-frame.
Yeah, the time frame doesn't make sense. With DB a min can take a whole season lol. 3,058 is truly crazy.

jedi486

Post by jedi486 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 am

theherodjl wrote:After thinking on it and plugging it into a calculator, 139 MPH converted to feet traveled per second comes out at about 203.86 feet per second which is plausible enough for this scene I suppose if Jiren was willing to wait however long it took. Though as others have pointed out, fights on the God level in the DBverse are actually a lot faster than what ordinary humans can perceive by any comparatively measurable units. Dyspo was stated to move beyond the speed of light or 186,000 miles per second so any distance he is seen moving by frames or screen format cannot even come close to depicting his actual speed, there'd need to be several reels of film just to demonstrate a single traveling motion of Dyspo without taking artistic shortcuts. Then we got Jiren who is ridiculously faster, even shocking Dyspo when its discovered that Jiren flew to the present world that the Pride Troopers were on from another planet across the universe without a spaceship in like a day. Jiren even says that "it was faster" that way. :shock:
The beam's speed is however fast it needs to be in the end, it makes little difference in using any amount of measurements for any speculative calculation.
Yeah, Jiren not using a spaceship is crazy. You are right the beam speed will always be whatever it has to be.