Why hasn't any villain ever mocked Goku for having an old lady voice?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why hasn't any villain ever mocked Goku for having an old lady voice?

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:41 am

You'd think with characters as petty and immature as Vegeta, Freeza, Perfect Cell, and Majin Boo, SOMEBODY would have had the bright idea to mock Goku's voice. But it's never been referenced. Nobody in-universe has ever acknowledged Goku's peculiar voice.

dragon boss z

Re: Why hasn't any villain ever mocked Goku for having an old lady voice?

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:44 am

Because in the manga he doesn't have a voice and I doubt the anime studio would add that line, especially since it kind of would be disrespectful the the voice actor. In Japan they really like Goku's voice, the old lady thing is more of how the English audience reacts to it as far as I'm aware. And ya I know it is an old lady that voices him.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 am

dragon boss z wrote:Because in the manga he doesn't have a voice and I doubt the anime studio would add that line, especially since it kind of would be disrespectful the the voice actor. In Japan they really like Goku's voice, the old lady thing is more of how the English audience reacts to it as far as I'm aware. And ya I know it is an old lady that voices him.
Not really actually. Toriyama said in an interview that after Nozawa was cast as Goku, that's the voice he imagines him speaking when writing the manga (so about the Muscle Tower arc).

Come to think of it, I don't think any Dragon Ball character has mocked another for how their voice sounded.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 am

KBABZ wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:Because in the manga he doesn't have a voice and I doubt the anime studio would add that line, especially since it kind of would be disrespectful the the voice actor. In Japan they really like Goku's voice, the old lady thing is more of how the English audience reacts to it as far as I'm aware. And ya I know it is an old lady that voices him.
Not really actually. Toriyama said in an interview that after Nozawa was cast as Goku, that's the voice he imagines him speaking when writing the manga (so about the Muscle Tower arc).

Come to think of it, I don't think any Dragon Ball character has mocked another for how their voice sounded.
But when Nozawa was cast for Goku, Goku was still a kid. Actually like Goku's voice, so if the writers like it I doubt they would have people make fun of it. It's not like Pica (from one piece) where i voice is supposed to be funny so people make fun of it. Goku's voice is supposed to sound cool, but some people just happen to not like it.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 am

Its not an old lady voice, more of a child-like voice due to Goku's simple & carefree nature. I'd also like to note that in certain fight scenes in the anime they tend to talk less in Japanese than the English dub, creating more of an uneasy silence that builds up the intensity of the moment with body language not unlike a Samurai dual. How one's voice sounds in this context is completely unimportant, something the English dub tends to ignore because Western interpretation of Japanese tropes tends to get lost in translation.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm

nickzambuto wrote:You'd think with characters as petty and immature as Vegeta, Freeza, Perfect Cell, and Majin Boo, SOMEBODY would have had the bright idea to mock Goku's voice. But it's never been referenced. Nobody in-universe has ever acknowledged Goku's peculiar voice.
Because women voicing males is nothing new/strange in anime.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:08 pm

KBABZ wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
Closest I can think to any voice reference is Goku telling Yaijirobe he sounds like Krillin, Yajirobe stating they must look similar before Goku telling him Krillin's bald and has no nose, to have Yajirobe scream "He's a freak" Apart from that I can't think of any other voice based comments, at least in the manga.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Akyon wrote:Closest I can think to any voice reference is Goku telling Yaijirobe he sounds like Krillin, Yajirobe stating they must look similar before Goku telling him Krillin's bald and has no nose, to have Yajirobe scream "He's a freak" Apart from that I can't think of any other voice based comments, at least in the manga.
Interesting, I always thought that was an anime thing because they share the same voice actor!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 pm

The time compression within the series' timeline against how much real world time has passed for Nozawa leads me to think Goku in-universe should still at this point in Super sound like 1995 Nozawa, not 2018 Nozawa. Goku doesn't sound elderly at the end of Z proper, so it's a suspension of disbelief thing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Same reason nobody mocks Luffy or Krillin for having a grandma voice. Because neither Tanaka's Luffy nor Nozawa Goku sound like any old lady I've heard of in anime. While some may argue that Nozawa's modern Goku just sounds like Dr Kureha from OP and it's true that ever since GT ended Nozawa hasn't been as good because her voice lost that soft youthful tone it still sound's different enough to me.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:02 am

Hell, maybe strong, masculine guys have old lady voices in Dragon World. Though Masako Nozawa doesn't really sound like an old lady, except in the screams. Those are effective but way too feminine for Goku.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 am

KBABZ wrote:
Akyon wrote:Closest I can think to any voice reference is Goku telling Yaijirobe he sounds like Krillin, Yajirobe stating they must look similar before Goku telling him Krillin's bald and has no nose, to have Yajirobe scream "He's a freak" Apart from that I can't think of any other voice based comments, at least in the manga.
Interesting, I always thought that was an anime thing because they share the same voice actor!
Toriyama may have added that in to ensure that Krillin's voice actor had a job after he was killed off.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:41 am

While I see how this could be done in jest, that would be kinda disrespectful to Masako Nozawa, TTYTT.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:53 am

because it doesn't like an old lady voice to them. Zamasu mocks Goku for being a man child which notes his voice being seen as a energetic child.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:57 am

Goku's voice doesn't sound like that of an old lady.