How Strong Does Oob Have To Be To Inflict Pain On Post-DBS Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

How Strong Does Oob Have To Be To Inflict Pain On Post-DBS Goku?

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 pm

DBS has turned Goku into a beast even in comparison to his GT-self receiving greater strength by the hundred-folds, being a good deal more powerful than SSJ3 Gotenks or on par with Ultimate Gohan just as a start. About how much stronger will Oob need to be in comparison to his original iteration to match this retcon in strength? Or was Goku merely holding back a bit in their fight at the Tenkaichi?
Anyone?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How Strong Does Oob Have To Be To Inflict Pain On Post-DBS Goku?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Well Goku was able to inflict pain on Beerus when it was later revealed that Beerus was only using a tiny fraction of his power.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 pm

theherodjl wrote:DBS has turned Goku into a beast even in comparison to his GT-self receiving greater strength by the hundred-folds, being a good deal more powerful than SSJ3 Gotenks or on par with Ultimate Gohan just as a start. About how much stronger will Oob need to be in comparison to his original iteration to match this retcon in strength? Or was Goku merely holding back a bit in their fight at the Tenkaichi?
Anyone?
As strong as Jiren, and yes, Goku was holding back the entire time against Uub at the end of Dragon Ball Z.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:08 pm

At least as strong as Sorbet's ring. That's for sure.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
theherodjl wrote:DBS has turned Goku into a beast even in comparison to his GT-self receiving greater strength by the hundred-folds, being a good deal more powerful than SSJ3 Gotenks or on par with Ultimate Gohan just as a start. About how much stronger will Oob need to be in comparison to his original iteration to match this retcon in strength? Or was Goku merely holding back a bit in their fight at the Tenkaichi?
Anyone?
As strong as Jiren, and yes, Goku was holding back the entire time against Uub at the end of Dragon Ball Z.
I'm surprised that people thought that Goku was trying against Uub. It's pretty obvious that Goku was holding back during that fight.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Goku was scratched by a Bullet.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:Goku was scratched by a Bullet.
Goku got a headache from a little rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjU8Z4hAQA

(the webm thing doesn't seem to work for youtube)

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:26 pm

That is actually an inconsistency. Because saiyans are bullet proof by default. So the bullet should have stung him, not scratch him. So a slight inconsistency.

As for the quest from OP? Considering the events of Super, Oob simply tapped into the kid buu power and surprised a suppressed Goku. before Super, i thought that the power Oob tapped into was simply little, since there was no proof that base Goku at end of z is as strong as ssj3 from Buu saga. Tho with the events of Super, it is clear that Oob tapped into former Kid Buu's power and hit with the power of a ssj3, so ofc Goku's hand would hurt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 pm

buutenks wrote:
That is actually an inconsistency. Because saiyans are bullet proof by default. So the bullet should have stung him, not scratch him. So a slight inconsistency.
If you're basing it on Goku surviving Bulma shooting him in the head, the bullet in DBS might have been higher calibre.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
buutenks wrote:
If you're basing it on Goku surviving Bulma shooting him in the head, the bullet in DBS might have been higher calibre.
Aha, remember muscle tower in DB? kid Goku took a shot from that colonel's enhanced magnum gun and he didnt got scratched, it hurt him like hell, but his skin was not broken nor did he bleed, plus kid goku took sniper bullets to the face and it just stung him. No bullet caused scratches. Hence why i think it is a slight inconsistency. Goku should have said that it stung him so he should train. The bullet shouldnt have scratched his skin. It's no biggy really. Just a slight inconsistency.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 pm

buutenks wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
buutenks wrote:
Aha, remember muscle tower in DB? kid Goku took a shot from that colonel's enhanced magnum gun, plus kid goku took sniper bullets to the face and it just stung him. No bullet caused scratches. hence why i think it is a slight inconsistency. Goku should have said that it stung him so he should train. The bullet shouldnt have scratched his skin. It's no biggy really. Just a slight inconsistency.
Could it not be possible that in Muscle Tower he had his defenses up unlike what happened in Super?

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
buutenks wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Aha, remember muscle tower in DB? kid Goku took a shot from that colonel's enhanced magnum gun, plus kid goku took sniper bullets to the face and it just stung him. No bullet caused scratches. hence why i think it is a slight inconsistency. Goku should have said that it stung him so he should train. The bullet shouldnt have scratched his skin. It's no biggy really. Just a slight inconsistency.
Could it not be possible that in Muscle Tower he had his defenses up unlike what happened in Super?
He had no ki control until the 23 budokai. That is how tough his body was. Considering how hard Goku trained his body, he by default should be bullet proof(be it high cal or low cal) as he was as a kid.

Edit: Remember, Roshi's training simply was them hardening their bodies. So even krillin shouldnt have been pierced by a bullet.

Plus, when Goku got hit by the sniper bullet, he wasnt aware he would beh it, was a surprise attack.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm

buutenks wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
buutenks wrote:
He had no ki control until the 23 budokai. That is how tough his body was. Considering how hard Goku trained his body, he by default should be bullet proof(be it high cal or low cal) as he was as a kid.

Edit: Remember, Roshi's training simply was them hardening their bodies. So even krillin shouldnt have been pierced by a bullet.

Plus, when Goku got hit by the sniper bullet, he wasnt aware he would beh it, was a surprise attack.
Perhaps he had no conscious ki control, but he had to have some, otherwise he wouldn't be able to use Kamehameha at all.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Perhaps he had no conscious ki control, but he had to have some, otherwise he wouldn't be able to use Kamehameha at all.
Ye i guess. Tho the sniper thing counts. Why i think its an inconsistency. Plus, kid Goku took on point blank flamethrower(without him defending himself)and his skin wasnt affected at all. So i still think Goku being scratched by a bullet is a inconsistency. Basically Toriyama simply forgot.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:40 pm

buutenks wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Perhaps he had no conscious ki control, but he had to have some, otherwise he wouldn't be able to use Kamehameha at all.
Ye i guess. Tho the sniper thing counts. Why i think its an inconsistency. Plus, kid Goku took on point blank flamethrower(without him defending himself)and his skin wasnt affected at all. So i still think Goku being scratched by a bullet is a inconsistency. Basically Toriyama simply forgot.
I think that if someone has potential/talent with using ki they will have a defensive aura instinctively whenever they are prepared to fight, even without formal training. Even if you were only human and have no ki training, if you have a power level of 100 or so, and you are ready to fight, bullets and flamethrowers probably aren't going to hurt you much, if at all.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
buutenks wrote:
I think that if someone has potential/talent with using ki they will have a defensive aura instinctively whenever they are prepared to fight, even without formal training. Even if you were only human and have no ki training, if you have a power level of 100 or so, and you are ready to fight, bullets and flamethrowers probably aren't going to hurt you much, if at all.
Hmm, ye i guess you could be right.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I don't think he has to be a specific strength since Goku was holding back.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Goku could easily smash Uub into paste if he went all-out, even in base. But that's not his style. He likes to savor a good fight, so he holds back, and fights at his opponent's level. Even if he had unlimited stamina at the ToP, he wouldn't just go blue and waste everyone. He'd enjoy it.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:36 pm

I'm just going to ask, what evidence is there to conclude that Goku was holding back a lot?
I can buy that Goku was not going all out, Oob wouldn't conveniently be the exact same strength as Goku just because. What reason is there though to assert that Goku was using a mere fraction of his power and that Oob was hopelessly outclassed by dozens-fold? Going by his statement on Oob prior to even fighting him, Goku made Oob out to be a big deal and that he was greatly suppressing his strength. Once Goku pushed him to rage is when Oob actually caused Goku pain even from blocking his attacks, Oob's aura alone making Goku use Bukujutsu to prevent from falling out of the ring. The anime also has Oob becoming stronger, faster, and more technical as he continues to fight Goku, surprising Goku.
I'm willing to believe that Goku was still stronger but after DBS's absurd leaps in power and shaking up of the original DB's formula, I think its at least possible that Oob wasn't that much weaker than Goku. Aside from lacking Bukujutsu or direct control of his maximum power, I see little reason for Oob to be a weakling compared to Goku in their match.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DB▪Magnum-Expert
Beyond Newbie

Post by DB▪Magnum-Expert » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 am

If we were to go and answer How Much Base Goku compares with Oob in the EoZ arc (DBZ Episodes 289 - 291), Goku wasn't "holding back" heavily at all. There isn't much to base it on like that. However, given Oob's power, there's no doubt he's comparable to Kid Buu

If it were to be DBS, Goku would have to hold back or something. Goku's strength reached an indescribable level, that it's ridiculous to even compare Dragon Ball Z Tiers to him. Obviously he'd have to heavily hold back to an utmost level
People I'm always keen to Debate with for the sole purpose of increasing experience and joy: