Your favourite fighting style.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Your favourite fighting style.

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 am

Whats your favourite fighting style used by in the series. Dose not matter were from.

For me, despite my love of all things Universe 11, it has to be Lavender's Doku no Ken Style.

Combing ki with poison attacks was my dream skill. Its dirty and lethal but it gets the job done and it can work well even if your foe is more powerful then yourself. Its not unbeatable but its a very dangers ability to go up against.

Also I'm not overly strong, I'm guilty of doing almost anything to win if I get to competitive and I almost always use poison in games were it can be. So this would suit me right down to the ground.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Your favourite fighting style.

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:38 am

Until Super, most of the fighting styles were pretty generic and they all looked the same. Just generic punches and kicks. Back in DB, the poses and attacks were more eastern martial arts-oriented, but every fighter still fought the same. In Super, this still happens somewhat, but some of the characters have a unique fighting style like Hit. I'd have to pick him.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:49 am

Black when he starts using the energy sword, it reminds me of the Makashi style from Star Wars.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:21 am

Fused Zamasu. I dare say he had the most unique fighting style in the entire series. Goku had to literally break his arms to find a way to counter Zamasu's fighting style. This unique fighting style revolved around the Barrier of Light, a massive halo-shaped structure created by the combination of both of Fused Zamasu's sources of his power. And from this Barrier of Light, Zamasu was not only able to fire powerful blade-shaped ki blasts called 'Blades of Judgement', and a mastodontic orb of destruction called 'Divine Wrath', but also summon a massive bird-like entity that could use the dangerous and destructive Lightning of Absolution; an attack which, needless, to say, overpowered both SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta in an instant. And there was also symbolism behind the Halo, as it represented Zamasu's superiority over pitiful mortal trash; a God who towers above all existence and judges the inferior mortals. Effectively, the Halo became the 'sun that shined upon Earth'.

Perhaps, the only downside of such a fighting style was that Zamasu was effectively stationary. Therefore, he was unable to dodge in time the Father-Son Galick Gun, and later on the Kamehameha. Then, when Zamasu used the Light of Justice to turn himself into a grotesque being, he started using a more 'direct' fighting style, employing Black's rose energy blade too.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 am

Like Doctor mentioned, most of the fighting styles tended to overlap back in the original series. In Super they still do for the most part. There's not much effort put into methodology or impact affliction from that particular style of combat. Those fleeting examples like Basil's Savate inspired martial arts style or Napapa's clear homage to sumo wrestlers ultimately amounted to little unique effect. I agree with Hit showing the most originality with some of his combat strategising. It's Phoenix Eye Fist but I feel like internal styles don't get enough recognition in DB. I mean just look at these instances of Hit's pressure point strikes in action.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

If the circumstances were different with the writers and interpretation of varying fighting styles and tactics then those strikes would have put Vegeta down for the rest of the match.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:04 am

I'd say Baby's style is my favourite. Simply because he infects people and use their fighting style mixed with his own. I like his sneaky tactics. He also borrows energy from his people and can call them for help like he did with Goten against Vegeta.
Buu was also great with his absorption.
I also like Oceanus Shenron spinning style. It was unique.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:25 am

Probably Whis' style, it's a shame we rarely get to see him fight.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Nice Thread Idea Lord Frieza! 8)

One Nice thing about Super that seems above Z and brings back from Original DB is Stylized fighting styles and not just what seems like everyone has the same generial movements.

Of My Top Favorites(& Maybe My Favorite) is that of My Girl From Universe 2 ROZIE, Her Style I think is a Directed Homage to that of Chun Li from the Street Fighter Series, but instead of Lighting Fast Kicks it is her Punches and she Gets Faster with Each Attack! 8)

Her movements Remind me of classic Kung Fu that are very Stylistic and Graceful in their movements with hand and feet poses showing it off.

She also excels in Ki Attack Control being able to control the movements of her Ki Blasts that I always found cool.

Even how Rozie sounds is like Chun Li as well and I LOVE it!

Rozie Always Brings a Smile to My Face:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvgBz0PRBxU

--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:10 pm

I liked how Freeza fought in DBZ and the Manga. He had a really cool style that hasn't really been showed in Super, unfortunately.
I also love Goku's style and his flair in battle. Hit is among my favorites, his Kyusho Jutsu-like style is very good to see and was refreshing to see such a peculiar style in Dragon Ball, where usually the characters differ in their special techniques rather than in their pure martial-arts style.

I would love to see a Dragon Ball character using a style similar to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which focuses on ground fighting, submissions, chokes. Uub using a similar style would be awesome, if the story ever goest after EoZ. Being born in a poor village, he might have learned how to wrestle to improve his fighting skills, as it's safer to practice than other martial arts where he would have to punch people in their mouth, as I doubt his village had gloves, mouthguards and all the protections needed to ensure safe sparring matches.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Hit no doubt,he has the coolest fighting style as shown when he defeated Vegeta.
    Basil and Cabba Savate inspired martial arts style,Basil was awesome like Sanji from one piece and yes Cabba has shown this a couple of times,go watch episode 112 and Chapter 12.
      Dyspo whereas Burter and Jeice speed work only on power making them boring,Dyspo is a much more interesting version of them combat wise,his speed is not reliant on power.
        Jackie chun defensive style is really fun in the 21 budokai.
          Tien had the most interesting fighting style in Db,he has variety in his moveset which is why i'm mad super didn't use all of them.
          Mostly active on discord.

Olympian
          Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Crane (Tenshinhan/Chiatzu), "Wolf" (Yamcha) and Assassin (Hit).
          Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

PerhapsTheOtherOne
          I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I'd say the style that Ultra Instinct Goku has displayed so far has to be some of my favourite.

There are clear inspirations from famous martial artists like Bruce Lee in its mix of flair AND utility. The creative ways in which Goku's body unconsciously dodges attacks is a sight to behold, especially when he did that sliding Kamehameha against Kefla.

There's a reason that moment has already made it into many people's top lists for the series' best Kamehamehas.

I'm ecstatic to see what else the Ultra Instinct will bring.

Spider-Man
          Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Hit: One of the most unique technique It was pretty cool.
            Tien: He had a variety of moveset too bad he didn't use all of them in Super.
              Rozie: I find her fighting style very interesting.

Logania
              Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm

It has to be Hit. I love how he focuses on attacking people's vital points and has little to no ki based attacks, except for his cool air wave type move. Often times he only throws out attacks when it's sure to hit the opponent instead of just throwing everything out there hoping something lands (with the exception of fighting Jiren.) Precision, power, and just overall aura of coolness on every blow with that cool purple ki going through the opponents body and the ice/mirror shatter effect on his timeskip.

"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Lightdasher
              Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 pm

I quite enjoy seeing multiple attackers fight "as one". Two instances of this come to mind:

#17 and #18 together in History of Trunks. Who knows how they were able to pull it off so well.. Being androids, perhaps it's not out of reason to say they could comply with the thoughts of one another. Whatever the reason, them fighting together was fantastic: if one was in trouble, the other would rush in to help; they could rely on each other to chain combo attacks (#18 punching Trunks through a building with #17 following via a kick, as an example); and at times it seemed they could fight in complete sync, as though they were extensions to one body.

Next is Goten and Trunks together in movie 11. There was a glimpse of this in Movie 10, but it didn't shine nearly as much as the following movie. From the start of them charging Bio-Broly together as Super Saiyans, until the near-end when they were picked off and unable to rely on the other since being unconscious does that, their attacks would compliment the other. I wouldn't say they relied upon each other in the same way #17 and #18 did in the special (one would typically attack, and the other would play backup when the initial strike failed), but it was just as awesome to see their unified style. Putting my bias out there, this was personally more of a treat to see, partly because Goten's my favorite character, but also because it was great to see focus on how well Goten and Trunks do together in their own big battle. They've had a few other examples in the show itself, but stopped once they learned fusion. One could argue the fusion as the zenith of them fighting together, but I think otherwise since Gotenks is his own character.

In summation: whether because my bias is all-powerful, or because they really did do awesome to support each other in the movie, Goten and Trunks fighting together would be my favorite of these styles. Honorable mention to Super Saiyans, Goku and Vegeta, during movie 7.
              "Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

sintzu
              Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:54 am

Guldo as he can stop time and kill you without you knowing what happened.
              July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
              Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Gotta agree with some of the previous posters and say Hit. It's made even better by the fact that he doesn't rely on Ki blasts or transformations.

Pantalones
              Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:00 am

Going to split it up by series...

Original Dragonball -- Roshi. Hypnosis, lightning, drunken style, and the original "big ki blast" technique and "bulked up for full power" transformation, both shown off waaaay back when most Earthling warriors couldn't fire even a basic ki blast and no Saiyan in the universe could transform at all! Piccolo, Tenshinhan, and Tao deserve mention too.

DBZ -- Majin Buu as a whole, all forms. So many stretch-punches and body distorting maneuvers (the Kid Buu vs. SSj3 Goku fight is great for this kind of stuff), and just very unique abilities between the super-regeneration, ability to control separated chunks and use them to trap and absorb others, and of course Fat Buu's antics. Dabura was interesting too, using magic to create swords and shoot fireball-like blasts plus the stone spit. Babidi, from what little we see of him, had some neat tricks also. Okay, yeah, this is pretty much all Buu saga... Saiyan/Freeza sagas were populated mostly be "generic punches and blasts" fighters and we get only a bit of variety in the Androids/Cell saga with #16 removable arm cannons, #17's barrier, and Cell's tail plus knowing everyone's moves at once.

GT -- Uhhhh... I kinda want to say Rilldo but that's probably mostly because he's the GT villain I have the clearest memories of (the heroes are very much all "generic punches and blasts" in that series, unfortunately.) The "encase somebody in metal" thing was pretty unique though, not quite the same as Buu's candy-beam or Dabura's spit since it wasn't an instant win depending on how/where you got hit, but still effective. Not to mention merging with metallic objects/the entire planet to get stronger. Wasn't his thing with the Sigma Force the only time we've seen villains merging together to make a stronger form by choice? Even Super #13 was more of an "oh, you killed the other two, I can absorb their parts and get stronger now" kind of thing.

Super -- Hit, like basically everyone has already mentioned. #17 and his new ways of using those barriers stand out, too.

GamerSkull
              Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:25 am

I like Yamcha's "Roga Fu-Fu Ken" and it's a shame that there wasn't more of it.

Aside from that, I actually really dig Tenshinhan's fighting style.
              "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Hawk9211
              OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 am

Either hit or muten roshi.
              Why power levels are important?
              The genre and roots of dragon ball