Basic Breakdown of Goku's Speed & Power

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ3VegetaSama

Re: Basic Breakdown of Goku's Speed & Power

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:53 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote: Solar flare is not purely light, it is ki, which emits light, which is why Krillin couldn't do solar flare x 100 until recently.
Statements < Feats backed up by math. Yamcha isn't exactly the strongest, although eh is strong for human standards. This could also be used for dramatic effect. Plus, combat speed /= travel speed.
But the speed of Piccolo's blast is traveling speed, no?
Piccolo's speed isn't what is important. What is important is that it was shown to be 1/3 the speed of light and Raditz dodged it easily. Secondly, no, travel speed is how long it takes for you to fly or run somewhere. My travel speed could be 15 mph but I could punch at 2 mph

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm

buutenks wrote:Thing about speed is, the FTL thing is scaled from Piccolo's blast to the moon. That is the only feat in Db that does that. Rest are slower. So obviously the outlier is the odd one out, aka Piccolo's busting the moon ki blast speed.

You cant use a feat from the beginning of Z and then scale every character that comes after when they even contradict that feat in universe with statements. We got so many statements contradicting FLT or even LS speed it is laughable trying to scale the moon speed feat. That is why most dont take that feat seriously. Destructive power is consistent, but speed, nope.
Travel speed is /= combat speed. Human eyes can register things moving the speed of sound but we will never be able to go that fast running. All the things that you say contradict it are travel speed, such as Gotenks. Humans, however, COULD theoretically react at speeds of light if they are trained very well, like Goku, and then SSJ increases ALL your senses, as well as SSJG being equal to Goku's base... etc.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:Humans, however, COULD theoretically react at speeds of light if they are trained very well
I hope you're not talking about real life here.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:Travel speed is /= combat speed. Human eyes can register things moving the speed of sound but we will never be able to go that fast running. All the things that you say contradict it are travel speed, such as Gotenks. Humans, however, COULD theoretically react at speeds of light if they are trained very well, like Goku, and then SSJ increases ALL your senses, as well as SSJG being equal to Goku's base... etc.
Humans can see objects moving 1,144 feet per second? A bullet can fly past your face several times over before your brain reflexively tells you to blink upon hearing an extremely loud sound, you're telling me someone can track that with their eyes?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 pm

theherodjl wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:Travel speed is /= combat speed. Human eyes can register things moving the speed of sound but we will never be able to go that fast running. All the things that you say contradict it are travel speed, such as Gotenks. Humans, however, COULD theoretically react at speeds of light if they are trained very well, like Goku, and then SSJ increases ALL your senses, as well as SSJG being equal to Goku's base... etc.
Humans can see objects moving 1,144 feet per second? A bullet can fly past your face several times over before your brain reflexively tells you to blink upon hearing an extremely loud sound, you're telling me someone can track that with their eyes?
Well it actually depends on a lot of factors, like how large the object is and how far away it is.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Well it actually depends on a lot of factors, like how large the object is and how far away it is.
Yeah but how many people can see punches moving 1,144 feet per second? Bruce Lee could kick fast enough that cameras recording at 24 frames per second couldn't fully capture his motion and he wasn't even hitting 1/10th the speed of sound. I tend to doubt that just because we can see massive crafts moving at supersonic speeds then that means we'll see someone striking in bullet time.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 am

dario03 wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
dario03 wrote:
By the time Vegeta and Nappa arrive Yamcha is about as strong as Raditz. So using your own numbers he should be about 1/3 the speed of light. Which would mean even if he hadn't powered up at all he should be able to cover ~20,000km in about 1/15 second. And that isn't using some kind of special travel type of technique like IT or Angel warp so I don't think the combat/travel speed argument works. So it doesn't work with the IT glasses scene. Plus theres the other much faster guys there that are shocked.
Read my previous comment, I should have specified combat speed. Combat speed and travel speed are not relative, who is faster, Usain Bolt or Jackie Chan?
I did read your comments, and I covered the combat/travel speed aspect of it. Like I said their speed isn't done by some special travel type of technique so there shouldn't be a huge difference. And if for some reason there was then you would just need to do a bunch of bursts of speed in a straight line which should work fine since if you were many time FTL like Vegeta, Piccolo, and Goku would be (according to your numbers) you have plenty of time to for slow downs.
Well, travel/flight speed was arguably shown to be different some times in the series. For instance, we have Gurd keeping up with the rest of the Ginyj force when they were flying towards Vegeta and co., and Kuririn considered that they are all very fast:

Yet later, we can see that Gurd can even barely react to Kuririn and Gohan's speed.

We also have Ginyu, upon taking Goku's body, stating that he feels very light in such body and that such body was fast, even though he was merely making use of his flight speed, and later we do seem that his combat speed is "slow" enough so Kuririn and Gohan could both react and counter it:

Although yeah, in all those examples the flight speed is proportionally higher than the battle speed.