Basic Breakdown of Goku's Speed & Power

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ3VegetaSama

Basic Breakdown of Goku's Speed & Power

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Have you ever wondered how fast Goku is? Have you ever wondered how powerful his destructive capabilities are? Well wonder no more! You have seen many different power scalers calculate the power of Goku, but this is my own undeniable power breakdown!

How fast is Goku?
Now this is my favourite way to find Goku's speed, in the time between Raditz coming to Earth and the Attack of the Saiyans, Piccolo fires a blast at the moon which takes 4 seconds to reach it if you go frame by frame and allocate a certain amount of seconds per frame. Some people may argue this is cinematic timing, however there is no reason to make this go slower or faster, unlike 5 minutes left until Namek blows up.
238,900 miles from Earth to the Moon. This shows Piccolo's blast goes around 59,725 miles per second, or 96,118 kilometres.
Note that the speed of light is 186,282 miles per second, which means that Piccolo is shooting a blast 1/3 the speed of light in early Dragon Ball Z. Raditz was able to dodge the same blast easily, with a power level of 1,500. So Raditz can move 1/3 the speed of light, power levels are like ki, it represents all stats, as the higher your ki gets, the more it effects each stat, not one specific. So this shows you need a power level of 4500 to reach the speed of light, the first character to come close to this is Nappa, with a power level of 4,000. We are going to fast forward to the last confirmed power level of base Goku, which is only in the Frieza saga, which is 150,000,000 in SSJ1, divide it by 50, which is the official SSJ multiplier, and you get 3,000,000. 3,000,000 divided by 4500 is 666, Goku is 666x faster than light in base form during the Frieza Saga. Now, for the sake of simplicity, we are going to ignore the fact that Goku trains to get his base form stronger as well as gaining new super Saiyan forms.
Speed in Base: 666x FTL
Speed in SSJ1: 33,300x FTL
Speed in SSJ2: 66,600x FTL
Speed in SSJ3: 266,400x FTL
ALL OF THIS IS EXTREMELY LOWBALLED, WE WILL COME BACK TO THIS LATER, AS WE HAVE SOLID FEATS SHOWING RESULTS OF HIS TRAINING IN DBS.

Destructive Capabilities of Goku
This is a lot easier to do.
Super Saiyan God is equal to Goku's base, stated in BoG by Beerus, after Goku lost his SSJG form.
Goku in Super Saiyan god was a threat to the Dragon Ball universe, which is made up of 3 universes, the Overworld, the Kai's world, and Hell. Goku threatened this with his combined power from the clash of his and Beerus's fists, so Goku is 1.5x universal in base (Punching).
HOWEVER, this is where my previous statement about solid feats showing results of training comes in. Goku is confirmed to get at least 10x stronger from BoG to the ToP, as he needed to fight hit with SSJB Kaioken x10 to beat him in the universe 6 arc, but didn't need it in the arc where Hit was hired to assassinate Goku, which shows Goku got 10x stronger, Therefore:
Base Form: 15x universal
SSJ1: 750x universal
SSJ2: 1500x universal
SSJ3: 6000X universal
SSJB is confirmed to be 50x stronger than SSJG, which is stronger than SSJ3, as Goku couldn't keep up with Beerus in SSJ3 but could in SSJG,
"It isn't easy to explain, but this is the power of a Super Saiyan God who went Super Saiyan"
SSJB 30,000+x universal

Update to speed
Basically, multiple all of the previous speed feats by 10 because of the Kaioken feat I stated beforehand
Speed in Base: 6660x FTL
Speed in SSJ1: 333,000x FTL
Speed in SSJ2: 666,000x FTL
Speed in SSJ3: 2,664,000x FTL
Speed in SSJB: 133,200,000x FTL

tl:dr
Goku is 133,200,000x FTL
Goku is 30,000+x Universal
NOTE THAT ALL OF THIS IS EXTREMELY LOWBALLED, THIS IS SAYING GOKU ONLY GOT 10X STRONGER SINCE THE FRIEZA SAGA.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Basic Breakdown of Goku's Speed & Power

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:41 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:Have you ever wondered how fast Goku is? Have you ever wondered how powerful his destructive capabilities are? Well wonder no more! You have seen many different power scalers calculate the power of Goku, but this is my own undeniable power breakdown!

How fast is Goku?
Now this is my favourite way to find Goku's speed, in the time between Raditz coming to Earth and the Attack of the Saiyans, Piccolo fires a blast at the moon which takes 4 seconds to reach it if you go frame by frame and allocate a certain amount of seconds per frame. Some people may argue this is cinematic timing, however there is no reason to make this go slower or faster, unlike 5 minutes left until Namek blows up.
238,900 miles from Earth to the Moon. This shows Piccolo's blast goes around 59,725 miles per second, or 96,118 kilometres.
Note that the speed of light is 186,282 miles per second, which means that Piccolo is shooting a blast 1/3 the speed of light in early Dragon Ball Z. Raditz was able to dodge the same blast easily, with a power level of 1,500. So Raditz can move 1/3 the speed of light, power levels are like ki, it represents all stats, as the higher your ki gets, the more it effects each stat, not one specific. So this shows you need a power level of 4500 to reach the speed of light, the first character to come close to this is Nappa, with a power level of 4,000. We are going to fast forward to the last confirmed power level of base Goku, which is only in the Frieza saga, which is 150,000,000 in SSJ1, divide it by 50, which is the official SSJ multiplier, and you get 3,000,000. 3,000,000 divided by 4500 is 666, Goku is 666x faster than light in base form during the Frieza Saga. Now, for the sake of simplicity, we are going to ignore the fact that Goku trains to get his base form stronger as well as gaining new super Saiyan forms.
Speed in Base: 666x FTL
Speed in SSJ1: 33,300x FTL
Speed in SSJ2: 66,600x FTL
Speed in SSJ3: 266,400x FTL
ALL OF THIS IS EXTREMELY LOWBALLED, WE WILL COME BACK TO THIS LATER, AS WE HAVE SOLID FEATS SHOWING RESULTS OF HIS TRAINING IN DBS.

Destructive Capabilities of Goku
This is a lot easier to do.
Super Saiyan God is equal to Goku's base, stated in BoG by Beerus, after Goku lost his SSJG form.
Goku in Super Saiyan god was a threat to the Dragon Ball universe, which is made up of 3 universes, the Overworld, the Kai's world, and Hell. Goku threatened this with his combined power from the clash of his and Beerus's fists, so Goku is 1.5x universal in base (Punching).
HOWEVER, this is where my previous statement about solid feats showing results of training comes in. Goku is confirmed to get at least 10x stronger from BoG to the ToP, as he needed to fight hit with SSJB Kaioken x10 to beat him in the universe 6 arc, but didn't need it in the arc where Hit was hired to assassinate Goku, which shows Goku got 10x stronger, Therefore:
Base Form: 15x universal
SSJ1: 750x universal
SSJ2: 1500x universal
SSJ3: 6000X universal
SSJB is confirmed to be 50x stronger than SSJG, which is stronger than SSJ3, as Goku couldn't keep up with Beerus in SSJ3 but could in SSJG,
"It isn't easy to explain, but this is the power of a Super Saiyan God who went Super Saiyan"
SSJB 30,000+x universal

Update to speed
Basically, multiple all of the previous speed feats by 10 because of the Kaioken feat I stated beforehand
Speed in Base: 6660x FTL
Speed in SSJ1: 333,000x FTL
Speed in SSJ2: 666,000x FTL
Speed in SSJ3: 2,664,000x FTL
Speed in SSJB: 133,200,000x FTL

tl:dr
Goku is 133,200,000x FTL
Goku is 30,000+x Universal
NOTE THAT ALL OF THIS IS EXTREMELY LOWBALLED, THIS IS SAYING GOKU ONLY GOT 10X STRONGER SINCE THE FRIEZA SAGA.
Every scene and statement contradicts those speed calcs u posted. Only in Super they start hitting LS and beyond. In Z, nope. Well you could argue ssj Gotenks and above are at LS.

As for power, all characters above ssg are universal. Just like how everyone and their mother in Z are planet busters. Saying he is 10x,100x etc universal seems stupid. Also, Vados n Whis said that if two GoDs fought they could destroy 2 universes. So nope, they are simply universal. Even Kefla says she feels she can one shot 1 universe, not 10 thousand or 100 thousand. So DBS characters can destroy a universe, minus Zeno who can destroy multiple universes.

Using power levels and increased multipliers is pointless. Goku with a BP of 90 k mastered 100 G, Vegeta with a BP of 2-3 million had trouble in max 300 G. Bp are there to show who is stronger than who.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

This doesn't really make sense because Dyspo being faster than light was considered a big deal, and Beerus was terrified of Zeno's power to destroy all 12 universes at once.

I honestly don't know how fast many of the characters are but I think the Angels are the fastest, and are many times faster than the speed of light when using the Warp technique. Using their normal speed they are still faster than light but not as much. Only god tier characters can be faster than light I think.

As for destruction, it's clear that no one surpasses Zeno, whose ability to wipe out 12 universes at once was considered terrifying to Beerus. So out of all of the other characters, only Daishinkan might possibly approach that much power.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:This doesn't really make sense because Dyspo being faster than light was considered a big deal, and Beerus was terrified of Zeno's power to destroy all 12 universes at once.

I honestly don't know how fast many of the characters are but I think the Angels are the fastest, and are many times faster than the speed of light when using the Warp technique. Using their normal speed they are still faster than light but not as much. Only god tier characters can be faster than light I think.

As for destruction, it's clear that no one surpasses Zeno, whose ability to wipe out 12 universes at once was considered terrifying to Beerus. So out of all of the other characters, only Daishinkan might possibly approach that much power.
Think if OP had wrote that Goku can destroy a universe x times larger than a normal universe it would be more accurate. Because saying he cant destroy x many universes is obviously contradicted by the show.

Still tho i dont see why it matters. THey are universe busters. I mean destroying 1 universe is, a freaking big jump in power. DB characters got from planet busters to universe busters. The jump in power is astronomical. I dont understand why people dont understand how impressive destroying one universe is.

Destroying a planet is huge, destroying a universe is down right ridiculous. When i hear about characters who can blink an x number of universes out of existance i just roll my eyes. I mean what kind of stories can u make with them? Look at Zeno. The char is to powerful for his own good. He is so strong that all he can do in the story is sit on a chair because if he even fought a little it would be over in one instant.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 pm

If Nappa is as fast as light why did Gotenks take a whole minute to arrive on Boo's house?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:If Nappa is as fast as light why did Gotenks take a whole minute to arrive on Boo's house?

It could be an outlier, or could be cinematic timing, as there was a reason for that, such as suspense

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:This doesn't really make sense because Dyspo being faster than light was considered a big deal, and Beerus was terrified of Zeno's power to destroy all 12 universes at once.

No, it was not considered a big deal for him to be faster than light, they said he surpassed the speed of sound AND light, sound and light aren't even close to speed. That is like saying I could beat an ant AND a bear. Sure, they are both animals, but 2 completely different things.

That was probably not Zen-Oh's limit, and no, he was not terrified that he could, he was terrified that he WOULD. He was terrified that Zen-Oh was willing to do so, not that he has the ability to do so.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm going to be honest, this thread reeks of fanboyish wish-fulfillment over DB character feats. I'll try to narrow it down.

The first time universe-busting became a thing was the combined power of Beerus & SSJG Goku fighting, the largest scale of destructive feats prior to this was Super Perfect Cell stating he could destroy the solar system. There is no one else besides Zeno who is confirmed to bust more than one universe at once.
The first time that FTL speed occurred was Whis' space-travel ability, thus far the only character stated to move FTL is Dyspo. Jiren is the only character stated to fly FTL across the universe under their own power.

...and that's it.
If busting a universe was so commonplace then no one would be in shock over Zeno busting one, or if moving FTL was a common thing then ordinary individuals should not even be able to see fighters move.
It his purely grasping at straws to think otherwise.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:30 pm

theherodjl wrote:I'm going to be honest, this thread reeks of fanboyish wish-fulfillment over DB character feats. I'll try to narrow it down.

The first time universe-busting became a thing was the combined power of Beerus & SSJG Goku fighting, the largest scale of destructive feats prior to this was Super Perfect Cell stating he could destroy the solar system. There is no one else besides Zeno who is confirmed to bust more than one universe at once.
The first time that FTL speed occurred was Whis' space-travel ability, thus far the only character stated to move FTL is Dyspo. Jiren is the only character stated to fly FTL across the universe under their own power.

...and that's it.
If busting a universe was so commonplace then no one would be in shock over Zeno busting one, or if moving FTL was a common thing then ordinary individuals should not even be able to see fighters move.
It his purely grasping at straws to think otherwise.
Nothing really supports faster than light speed for characters before GT and Super. I mean you have scenes such as when instant transmission was first introduced, Vegeta is amazed that Goku could get Roshi's sunglasses from his house in a few seconds, saying it's impossible, until he learned it was due to teleportation. But at lightspeed that could be done in a fraction of a second.

In GT, SSJ4 Goku fired a Kamehameha that reached the sun in a few seconds, that's faster than light. And of course we have the Angels, Beerus, Dyspo, Jiren, etc. in Super. Even though they're different continuities I would say that you need SSJG/SSJ4 level power to surpass the speed of light.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:35 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:It could be an outlier, or could be cinematic timing, as there was a reason for that, such as suspense
The majority of the evidence points towards the characters being slower than light though, such as Yamcha thinking it's impossible for Goku to travel 20,000km in an instant:

Kuririn finding Bulma's plane in the middle of the way, instead of instantly reaching Capsule Corp, and characters being constantly unable to dodge the Taiyouken, which should be possible if they're faster than light.

Piccolo vaporizing the moon is consistent, but the speed of his blast definitely isn't.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Piccolo vaporizing the moon is consistent, but the speed of his blast definitely isn't.
Technically we don't even know the speed, do we? In the manga there is no timer to show how long it took.

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:It could be an outlier, or could be cinematic timing, as there was a reason for that, such as suspense
The majority of the evidence points towards the characters being slower than light though, such as Yamcha thinking it's impossible for Goku to travel 20,000km in an instant:

Kuririn finding Bulma's plane in the middle of the way, instead of instantly reaching Capsule Corp, and characters being constantly unable to dodge the Taiyouken, which should be possible if they're faster than light.

Piccolo vaporizing the moon is consistent, but the speed of his blast definitely isn't.
Solar flare is not purely light, it is ki, which emits light, which is why Krillin couldn't do solar flare x 100 until recently.
Statements < Feats backed up by math. Yamcha isn't exactly the strongest, although eh is strong for human standards. This could also be used for dramatic effect. Plus, combat speed /= travel speed.

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Piccolo vaporizing the moon is consistent, but the speed of his blast definitely isn't.
Technically we don't even know the speed, do we? In the manga there is no timer to show how long it took.
Manga is not the only source, we know DBZ Kai is canon to DBS since it is seen in flashbacks. That is like saying we don't know Piccolo is green because there is no colour in the manga.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Manga is not the only source, we know DBZ Kai is canon to DBS since it is seen in flashbacks. That is like saying we don't know Piccolo is green because there is no colour in the manga.
There are color pages for chapter titles.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:

Solar flare is not purely light, it is ki, which emits light, which is why Krillin couldn't do solar flare x 100 until recently.
Statements < Feats backed up by math. Yamcha isn't exactly the strongest, although eh is strong for human standards. This could also be used for dramatic effect. Plus, combat speed /= travel speed.
By the time Vegeta and Nappa arrive Yamcha is about as strong as Raditz. So using your own numbers he should be about 1/3 the speed of light. Which would mean even if he hadn't powered up at all he should be able to cover ~20,000km in about 1/15 second. And that isn't using some kind of special travel type of technique like IT or Angel warp so I don't think the combat/travel speed argument works. So it doesn't work with the IT glasses scene. Plus theres the other much faster guys there that are shocked.

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:06 pm

dario03 wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:

By the time Vegeta and Nappa arrive Yamcha is about as strong as Raditz. So using your own numbers he should be about 1/3 the speed of light. Which would mean even if he hadn't powered up at all he should be able to cover ~20,000km in about 1/15 second. And that isn't using some kind of special travel type of technique like IT or Angel warp so I don't think the combat/travel speed argument works. So it doesn't work with the IT glasses scene. Plus theres the other much faster guys there that are shocked.
Read my previous comment, I should have specified combat speed. Combat speed and travel speed are not relative, who is faster, Usain Bolt or Jackie Chan?

SSJ3VegetaSama

Post by SSJ3VegetaSama » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
There are color pages for chapter titles.
Which are not coloured by Toriyama, this is the reason that the animators originally coloured Vegeta's hair red, even on manga chapter titles, because Toriyama didn't design it. Plus, once again, if something isn't in the manga it doesn't mean it is not canon. SSJB Kaioken isn't in the manga but it is still canon.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 pm

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
dario03 wrote:
SSJ3VegetaSama wrote:
Read my previous comment, I should have specified combat speed. Combat speed and travel speed are not relative, who is faster, Usain Bolt or Jackie Chan?
I did read your comments, and I covered the combat/travel speed aspect of it. Like I said their speed isn't done by some special travel type of technique so there shouldn't be a huge difference. And if for some reason there was then you would just need to do a bunch of bursts of speed in a straight line which should work fine since if you were many time FTL like Vegeta, Piccolo, and Goku would be (according to your numbers) you have plenty of time to for slow downs.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:50 am

SSJ3VegetaSama wrote: Solar flare is not purely light, it is ki, which emits light, which is why Krillin couldn't do solar flare x 100 until recently.
But the speed of Piccolo's blast is traveling speed, no?

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:09 pm

Thing about speed is, the FTL thing is scaled from Piccolo's blast to the moon. That is the only feat in Db that does that. Rest are slower. So obviously the outlier is the odd one out, aka Piccolo's busting the moon ki blast speed.

You cant use a feat from the beginning of Z and then scale every character that comes after when they even contradict that feat in universe with statements. We got so many statements contradicting FLT or even LS speed it is laughable trying to scale the moon speed feat. That is why most dont take that feat seriously. Destructive power is consistent, but speed, nope.