How do you feel about certain meta jokes?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: How do you feel about certain meta jokes?

Post by matt0044 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 pm

GamerSkull wrote:On that note, were you okay with "Let's go see Yamcha" in the Super dub?
It gets a pass from me since it's Vegeta and Vegeta is, well, Vegeta. From anybody else, it'd sound way out of character but that's thankfully not the case. That said, it can border on too "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" if you know what I mean. It's funny in a sort of "That's our Veggie" and especially if you're new to the fandom but when you know the "Yamcha sucks" meme, it can be a bit disruptive in a "What the huh?" way. It's... complicated.
And as far as the non-canon videogames go, I would be more okay with it if there were subtitles of the original jap dialogue so I can experience the original stuff.
Yes and I hope the developers listen to fans on what they want in this regard.

In any case, enjoy The Cartoon Cipher bring actual honest to god nuance to the Sub Vs. Dub argument.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm

GamerSkull wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:"Let's go see Yamcha"
Considering it was Vegeta who's still kind of an ass, I can't say it's very out of character on his part at the very least. Honestly, the dub of Super for many makes the series more entertaining even during the "less than well drawn" parts. Really, I enjoy that the actors make the most of what they got.

That and Dragon Ball Z's been more than a little meta too with the Buu Saga, Gotenks always references the Rule of Cool in executing his attacks.
Yeah, it's debatabley in-character but when it's also clearly Sabat ad libbing for no reason to poke reference at his constant twitter jokes... well, it takes me out of it.

I don't mind dubs and if they change a few words around to better fit lip flaps or slightly changing something that wouldn't carry over english... but referential jokes bother me. If Piccolo or Gohan or Goku made a subtle joke about Piccolo being a better father in the dub... I'd be annoyed with that as well. The point is, it breaks my immersion.

I respect your opinion and I agree that it's cool that the actors make the best of what they have... but superfluous jokes that seem to reference the fandom's memes is not cool for me. That stuff can exist but it should stay outside of official material. It's why I feel like there should be better editorial or directing for this series at Funimation.
That was not Sabat's intention behind it, he said because Yamcha was Bulma's ex he tries to add as much awkwardness between Vegeta and Yamcha as possible.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:
matt0044 wrote: Considering it was Vegeta who's still kind of an ass, I can't say it's very out of character on his part at the very least. Honestly, the dub of Super for many makes the series more entertaining even during the "less than well drawn" parts. Really, I enjoy that the actors make the most of what they got.

That and Dragon Ball Z's been more than a little meta too with the Buu Saga, Gotenks always references the Rule of Cool in executing his attacks.
Yeah, it's debatabley in-character but when it's also clearly Sabat ad libbing for no reason to poke reference at his constant twitter jokes... well, it takes me out of it.

I don't mind dubs and if they change a few words around to better fit lip flaps or slightly changing something that wouldn't carry over english... but referential jokes bother me. If Piccolo or Gohan or Goku made a subtle joke about Piccolo being a better father in the dub... I'd be annoyed with that as well. The point is, it breaks my immersion.

I respect your opinion and I agree that it's cool that the actors make the best of what they have... but superfluous jokes that seem to reference the fandom's memes is not cool for me. That stuff can exist but it should stay outside of official material. It's why I feel like there should be better editorial or directing for this series at Funimation.
That was not Sabat's intention behind it, he said because Yamcha was Bulma's ex he tries to add as much awkwardness between Vegeta and Yamcha as possible.
Fair enough.

But it’s still the same effect. I remember the meme (because that’s also something Sabat likes mentioning a ton) and it takes me out of it. Sure, he might have meant it otherwise but it’s still immersion-breaking for me. I guess I can say some of this is partly my fault.

I guess it’s okay... but I can do without liberties like that. Just my opinion though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"