What battle power would you have as the requirement to reach SSJ?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Appers

What battle power would you have as the requirement to reach SSJ?

Post by Appers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:56 am

I've always wondered just what numerical level of power people think that a Saiyan should possess to be able to transform into a Super Saiyan. Yes, I'm aware of "S cells" and all that other information that Toriyama revealed but lets focus on this specific requirement.

Personally I think that 100,000 is a reasonable battle power for a Saiyan to be able to transform if the right conditions are met. Goku's base around this time was around 90,000 or so from what I remember and Ginyu started to freak out after it eclipsed 100,000 while he was using the Kaioken, though it's more likely he was afraid because Goku's power was going to eclipse his own. After reacing 180,000 and powering down though Ginyu seems to think that Goku would already become one if it weren't for his nature.

There's also the matter of Vegeta boasting about becoming one only after he had clearly eclipsed Ginyu in power after receiving a Zenkai.

It just makes the most sense for me to place it around the 100,000 range.

What about you guys? What do you think the threshold battle power should be, and why?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What battle power would you have as the requirement to reach SSJ?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:14 am

Personally I don't think there is a power level threshold for becoming Super Saiyan, as shown by Goten. He was able to do it at age seven (possibly even six) at what is presumably not that great a level. And while it isn't linked to power, he notably also didn't even know how to fly!

If there is one then I can't imagine it being very high

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 am

KBABZ wrote:Personally I don't think there is a power level threshold for becoming Super Saiyan, as shown by Goten.
Goten never trained on his life aside from playing with Trunks but was powerful as hell, so he definitely isn't a good example here.

But i agree there isn't a fix power level to transform. That's never implied.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm

I'd like to think it's 1,000,000.
No way I'm going to accept weak-ass King Piccolo arc Goku being capable of the transformation :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Yeah, I always thought namek arc Goku's 90,000 was enough, considering Vegeta's speech about him surpassing the limits of a normal Saiyan.

Bardock was also very weak, if you want to take EoB into account, and so was future Trunks, who couldn't even defeat base Gohan whilst in Super Saiyan.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 pm

We don't know how strong Bardock became after the Zenkai, so we can't say he was weak when he arrived at planet Plant. Zenkai boost is not something set.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 pm

At this point, Vegeta's S Cells are so hyper developed that I imagine Bra will become a SSJ as a mere toddler from throwing a temper tantrum. So whatever a small child's battle power is then.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Speaking of which, I also have never really taken any stock in the information on how to become a Super Saiyan from before it actually happens seriously. The stuff about "needing to be a bloodthirsty warrior", "surpassing the limits of a normal Saiyan", "needing a pure heart" are technically speculative claims by characters who'e never been able to do it or seen it been done.

Appers

Post by Appers » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:15 pm

In regards to the children being able to do it, I always figured that they could do it easily because they were born with really high battle power to begin with.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 pm

What with the new information about S-Cells and how they are influenced by both the Saiyan's battle power and how gentle their spirit is, I certainly don't think that there is a fixed battle power number that a Saiyan has to reach before they can go Super Saiyan. In fact, this whole thing made me think about how much trouble Vegeta had unlocking the transformation. Maybe for a nice Saiyan, the threshold is around 50~100 thousand, which is why 3-million Goku was able to go Super Saiyan by accident, but for somebody as nasty as Vegeta, he needed a minimum battle power in the millions to compensate for his not-so-gentle spirit, which is why he struggled so much.

Likewise, the threshold would be lower the more S-Cells you inherited from your parents, which is why 14-year-old Trunks was weak enough to spar evenly with base form Gohan despite already being a Super Saiyan.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)