When is Pilaf's with for youth in the main timeline?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

When is Pilaf's with for youth in the main timeline?

Post by TobyS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:06 pm

So the super manga shows they wish for youth while the dragon team are being murdered by the androids. But we don't know if there's a butterfly effect thing where they did it later/earlier. And we don't where the future fight synchs with the 19/20 or 18 fight in the present.

As a user here pointed out, we never see the sky go dark.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When is Pilafs youth wish in the main timeline?

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Yep, that was probably me on the dark sky comment.

Considering that events pan out very different between the Z Timeline and the Future Timeline, it's safe to assume that the timing of the Pilaf Gang's wish was affected in some way as to be earlier in the Future Timeline.

Given that the sky didn't go dark during the Z Timeline as seen in the manga/anime, we can assume that the wish didn't occur during the Android and Cell Arcs. Furthermore since Goku gathers up the Dragon Balls in the lead-up to the Cell Games and they're in their normal gem state, it doesn't happen beforehand (as they would be stones unless the wish was made over a year beforehand, which is unlikely because the Z and Future Timelines are almost identical until the Androids appear).

We also know that Dende had upgraded the Dragon Balls to grant three wishes rather than just one, and as established in the Buu arc, granting only one wish will have the Dragon Balls turn to stone for only three months rather than a year. Since the end of the Cell Arc has the only wish be removal of the bombs in 17 and 18, the Dragon Balls would revert three months after that. It wouldn't take long for the PIlaf Gang to gather them up given how accurate their radar is in the King Piccolo Arc and how quickly Roshi and Tien gathered them in the same arc.

With all that in mind, the Pilaf Gang's wish for youth would have occurred at least three months after the conclusion of the Cell Games, which itself is about a week after Androids 19 and 20 appear. This still has them be in the ballpark of being Trunks and Goten's age, which is important for Mai's connection to Trunks in Battle of Gods (and the wish actually makes all three of them in Trunks' age range during the Android and Cells arcs, which helps for the Goku Black Arc). The amusing offset is that the PIlaf Gang are a week and three months younger in the Z Timeline compared to their Future counterparts!

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:55 pm

TobyS wrote:So the super manga shows they wish for youth while the dragon team are being murdered by the androids. But we don't know if there's a butterfly effect thing where they did it later/earlier. And we don't where the future fight synchs with the 19/20 or 18 fight in the present.

As a user here pointed out, we never see the sky go dark.
Maybe they made the wish at night time? lol

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:59 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Maybe they made the wish at night time? lol
Unfortunately there's no time for it. Goku retrieves the Dragon Balls during the break for the Cell Games, and they're gemstones when he does so. Unless Dende's adjustments to the Dragon Balls reset them back to normal and nobody noticed, that makes it impossible for the wish to have occurred at that point!

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm

I don't think Goku collecting the Dragon Balls during the ten-day-wait really contradicts anything. The Dragon Balls were rendered inactive when Piccolo merged with God before they were reactivated by Dende. Odds are that Dende's reactivation would've reset the recharge time. Or Dende just got them to recharge ahead of schedule just like God did in the Piccolo and Freeza arcs.

So yeah, I think that the main timeline's Pilaf Gang probably made their wish around the same time that future one's did. Maybe they were off by a few hours or days because of the Butterfly Effect or something, hence why nobody else noticed the sky go dark.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:49 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:I don't think Goku collecting the Dragon Balls during the ten-day-wait really contradicts anything. The Dragon Balls were rendered inactive when Piccolo merged with God before they were reactivated by Dende. Odds are that Dende's reactivation would've reset the recharge time. Or Dende just got them to recharge ahead of schedule just like God did in the Piccolo and Freeza arcs.
Well my point was that nobody does notice the Sky go dark at any point in the Z Timeline so it couldn't have happened then. The Balls being stone after the Kami merging is really only more evidence that it couldn't have happened then!