Android 21 Discussion [SPOILERZ FOR FIGHTERZ]

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Android 21 Discussion [SPOILERZ FOR FIGHTERZ]

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:20 pm

UNMARKED SPOILERS IN HERE. In particular for Arc 3 of FighterZ

I felt that there should be a thread for discussing Android 21 in particular given how unique of a character she is and her potential for being involved in "actual" Dragon Ball media such as Super.

One of the aspects I liked a lot about her was her dual personality; one side is such a scheming, maniacal and indulgent b***, and the other was more reserved and calculating. This got surprisingly literal in Arc 3 and the splitting mirrors what happened with Buu which I thought was a nice touch. Good Android 21 is one of my favourite characters, and the scene where she connects and becomes friends with Buu is so heartwarming I wanted to leap into the screen and give her a bear hug. Evil 21 meanwhile was very striking; her expressions are intense and she has an almost perverted passion for eating the other heroes as candies and cupcakes.

I was initially 50/50 on her voice, but after playing the three Arcs I felt it fit her very well. Evil 21 is very much a bratty kid, and her English voice actress (haven't played in Japanese) does a great job of switching the voice for her Good side. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a little more work done to have Good and Evil 21 be separate in gameplay; it was rather weird seeing her have the maniacal Evil expressions when playing as Good, and I'm sad there isn't a Good 21 skin option for outside of the story with accompanying key art.

I also wanted to know from the women users of the forum if 21's design and perverted approach to eating is considered fanservicey or not. For me personally as a guy, I felt it made her a unique villain and the clothing is simply carrying on the design sensibilities of the Buus, who are themselves shirtless.

All that said, 21 is one of my all-time favourite Dragon Ball characters and ranks up there with Kid Goku and Frieza.