Namekians Knowing the Fusion Dance

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Namekians Knowing the Fusion Dance

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm

I was re-reading bits of the Boo arc and I noticed that Dende knows what this is... So why doesn't anyone bring it up in the Namek arc? Why do none of the Namekian's suggest it to the good guys? Why doesn't any Namekian try it out? The point of the dance is to make two weaker people into a really tough warrior would be useful for two reasons. 1) it would obviously let them stand a chance against Freeza and 2) they could temporarily fuse without needing one of them to get permanently erased from existence.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Namekian's Knowing the Fusion Dance

Post by LightBing » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Having heard about it is different from knowing it.

Elder Guru also knew about the legendary Super Saiyan for example, since Dende was I assumed trained as a member of the Dragon Clan all this knowledge might have been transmitted to him. These guys turn blonde, that ones dance and fuse, etc...
The other option might be him communicating with the Otherworld and learning things. Kami could travel there freely so I assume that's part of the job.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I was re-reading bits of the Boo arc and I noticed that Dende knows what this is... So why doesn't anyone bring it up in the Namek arc? Why do none of the Namekian's suggest it to the good guys? Why doesn't any Namekian try it out? The point of the dance is to make two weaker people into a really tough warrior would be useful for two reasons. 1) it would obviously let them stand a chance against Freeza and 2) they could temporarily fuse without needing one of them to get permanently erased from existence.
There's a difference in being aware that the technique exists and knowing how to perform the technique, similar to the Namekians being aware of both SSJ & SSJG despite not knowing the method to summon such power.
Also, I think Dende didn't learn about it til after he and the revived Nameks found a new planet to inhabit and prior to his return, something he picked up in the 3.5 years before becoming Earth's new Kami.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:01 pm

You know, something I always wondered......

If a Namekian used the physical version of the Multi-Form Technique, and then used a Fusion method like Metamoran Fusion Dance or Potara Earrings, wouldn't they become stronger than the sum of their halves?

Going along with that train of thought, such Fusions are technically creating the same person. It also reminds me of Namekian Fusion, and it makes me wonder if a Namekian could use the aforementioned Multi-Form to split into two and then fuse using Namekian Fusion to become stronger; rinse and repeat ad nauseum. I don't know, it's an interesting idea to entertain, at the very least.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Going along with that train of thought, such Fusions are technically creating the same person.
Not really. While Piccolo+Kami was a rejoining of a single being, Piccolo+Nail had Piccolo as the dominant one. In a Dance/Potara Fusion, it's a shared combination that makes a unique person.

King13s

Post by King13s » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:39 am

KBABZ wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Going along with that train of thought, such Fusions are technically creating the same person.
Not really. While Piccolo+Kami was a rejoining of a single being, Piccolo+Nail had Piccolo as the dominant one. In a Dance/Potara Fusion, it's a shared combination that makes a unique person.
I thought Piccolo was still the dominant personality. And on top of that, I always assumed that the adage, "Two halves don't make a whole" was very true to Namekian fusion. They got a power increase, but it wasn't as potential as fusion dance or Potato.

That could be my own interpretation messing with things, but I didn't think Kamiccolo was as strong as the Nameless Namekian or really just not his former self

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Namekians Knowing the Fusion Dance

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 am

I think Herms mentioned a couple of weeks ago that while in English the word "fusion" is used for all versions of the technique, in Japanese there's a distinction between what the fusion dance does and what the namekian fusion is. The Japanese word used for what the namekians do basically means "assimilation", so with that in mind, it's stands to reason that one would be the dominant personality, even in Piccolo and Kami's case.

Also,does Dende refer to the technique itself or does he simply get the gist of it from what Goku was trying to tell them, because it's similar to what namekians do? I can't check it myself right now.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:07 am

Michsi wrote:I think Herms mentioned a couple of weeks ago that while in English the word "fusion" is used for all versions of the technique, in Japanese there's a distinction between what the fusion dance does and what the namekian fusion is. The Japanese word used for what the namekians do basically means "assimilation", so with that in mind, it's stands to reason that one would be the dominant personality, even in Piccolo and Kami's case.

Also,does Dende refer to the technique itself or does he simply get the gist of it from what Goku was trying to tell them, because it's similar to what namekians do? I can't check it myself right now.
Dende recognized the technique and he was the one who mentioned the metamorians first IIRC.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Michsi wrote:I think Herms mentioned a couple of weeks ago that while in English the word "fusion" is used for all versions of the technique, in Japanese there's a distinction between what the fusion dance does and what the namekian fusion is. The Japanese word used for what the namekians do basically means "assimilation", so with that in mind, it's stands to reason that one would be the dominant personality, even in Piccolo and Kami's case.

Dende recognized the technique and he was the one who mentioned the metamorians first IIRC.
He knew about the metamorians too? I'll check once I find my volume, but I'm pretty sure it's Goku that mentions them first. However, Goku does meet them in the other world, to which Dende should technically have access to and probably visits frequently. Might be that he heard about them then. Otherwise, it would make little sense for the namekians to not use the dance instead of having one be permanently absorbed.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 am

Michsi wrote:He knew about the metamorians too? I'll check once I find my volume, but I'm pretty sure it's Goku that mentions them first. However, Goku does meet them in the other world, to which Dende should technically have access to and probably visits frequently. Might be that he heard about them then. Otherwise, it would make little sense for the namekians to not use the dance instead of having one be permanently absorbed.
I checked and my memory didn't fail me, Dende mentions the Metamorians, then Goku goes into detail about how it all works.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:45 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Michsi wrote:He knew about the metamorians too? I'll check once I find my volume, but I'm pretty sure it's Goku that mentions them first. However, Goku does meet them in the other world, to which Dende should technically have access to and probably visits frequently. Might be that he heard about them then. Otherwise, it would make little sense for the namekians to not use the dance instead of having one be permanently absorbed.
I checked and my memory didn't fail me, Dende mentions the Metamorians, then Goku goes into detail about how it all works.
Odd, but interesting. But if Piccolo didn't know about it probably means Nail didn't know about it either. It really might be something he learned during his time as the god of Earth.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am

Michsi wrote: Odd, but interesting. But if Piccolo didn't know about it probably means Nail didn't know about it either. It really might be something he learned during his time as the god of Earth.
Most likely. He's a god after all, maybe he took his appointment seriously and started studying like crazy.