Goten/Trunks Schooling...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Goten/Trunks Schooling...

Post by ulisa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:59 pm

This is probably a minor question but I have been wondering with Super—

Does Goten go to an actual school or is he homeschooled like Gohan was? Trunks seems to have a private tutor (which doesn’t surprise me) but Goten I’m unsure. ChiChi seems to push the studying like with Gohan but then mentions things like “You have a test next week.” Do they ever give any indication one way or the other?
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Goten/Trunks Schooling...

Post by GamerSkull » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 pm

ulisa wrote:This is probably a minor question but I have been wondering with Super—

Does Goten go to an actual school or is he homeschooled like Gohan was? Trunks seems to have a private tutor (which doesn’t surprise me) but Goten I’m unsure. ChiChi seems to push the studying like with Gohan but then mentions things like “You have a test next week.” Do they ever give any indication one way or the other?
I believe in one of the early episodes of Super (it might have actually been the first), Goku asks Goten if he just got from school and Goten replied with "It's Sunday."

So Goten is likely going to some sort of actual school. I could be wrong though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:08 am

I don't think Goten is having the same obsessive education that Gohan did and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't studying because he comes off as being pretty dumb to me, like his dad. Trunks probably has inherited his parents' intellect because of cartoon logic and probably doesn't need to study much.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:27 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I don't think Goten is having the same obsessive education that Gohan did and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't studying because he comes off as being pretty dumb to me, like his dad. Trunks probably has inherited his parents' intellect because of cartoon logic and probably doesn't need to study much.
It seems to depend on the writer. Some episodes, ChiChi acts like she did in the early parts of Z being almost psychotically obsessive and in some, it feels like Post Buu ChiChi. Overall, I tend to agree that it isn’t as obsessive as Gohan’s was though I dunno if I think Goten is dumb. However, I don’t think Goku is dumb either. Not book smart for certain but not dumb.

Trunks seems pretty smart though I’m not sure if he’s on the level of his mother or not. Vegeta is also pretty intelligent all things considered so I usually put Trunks as above average intelligence but not genius level.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:30 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I don't think Goten is having the same obsessive education that Gohan did and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't studying because he comes off as being pretty dumb to me, like his dad. Trunks probably has inherited his parents' intellect because of cartoon logic and probably doesn't need to study much.
I don't think he's dumb, more naive. I remember goku even complimenting goten on being smart but I guess you could take that with a grain of salt.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Son Perfect

Post by Son Perfect » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:I don't think he's dumb, more naive. I remember goku even complimenting goten on being smart but I guess you could take that with a grain of salt.
Yeah, I feel Goten might be above average since he is pushed by Chi-Chi (Even though it seems inconsistent).
I love Gohan a bit too much...

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:49 am

I hope I'm not too late to at least add confirmation. Both the anime and manga play out a scene that goes:

Goten: "Lunch time!"
Goku: "Hi, Goten! You don't have school today?"
Goten: "It's Sunday."

Because of this, I'd always assumed that Goten was made to be going to a school throughout Super. I'd really like if we could see an otherwise useless shot of Goten wondering something while at school, before the focus snaps back to what everyone else is focusing on. A Goten fan can dream..
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Lightdasher wrote:I hope I'm not too late to at least add confirmation. Both the anime and manga play out a scene that goes:

Because of this, I'd always assumed that Goten was made to be going to a school throughout Super. I'd really like if we could see an otherwise useless shot of Goten wondering something while at school, before the focus snaps back to what everyone else is focusing on. A Goten fan can dream..
I always wanted to see how Goten fared in a regular school. Gohan didn’t exactly fit in with high school, despite his best efforts, so I’d imagine Goten would have an even worse time. Much as ChiChi wants her kids to be “normal”...they’re not.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:59 pm

ulisa wrote:
Lightdasher wrote:I hope I'm not too late to at least add confirmation. Both the anime and manga play out a scene that goes:

I always wanted to see how Goten fared in a regular school. Gohan didn’t exactly fit in with high school, despite his best efforts, so I’d imagine Goten would have an even worse time. Much as ChiChi wants her kids to be “normal”...they’re not.
Right? Like she's married to a guy that challenges the gods and she wants their half alien kids that could blow up planets live a normal life.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:35 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
Ulisa wrote:I always wanted to see how Goten fared in a regular school. Gohan didn’t exactly fit in with high school, despite his best efforts, so I’d imagine Goten would have an even worse time. Much as ChiChi wants her kids to be “normal”...they’re not.
Right? Like she's married to a guy that challenges the gods and she wants their half alien kids that could blow up planets live a normal life.
I think ChiChi seems to forget that at times. Granted, she is doing the best she can but any information she has on being a mother only applies to humans and her kids are only half-human. I honestly think if she would allow herself to come to terms with the fact that her children and her husband have alien blood and thus, don't act like everyone else, she'd be a lot less stressed. She really needs to take into account BOTH sides of their heritage when it comes to parenting. Truthfully, while there are several things ChiChi does that annoy me, the one that really gets under my skin is when she downplays/insults their Saiyan heritage (i.e. calling Goten a "monster" when he transforms) Whether she likes it or not, her kids are half-Saiyan and when she insults that half of their heritage, that does not send a great message. Though, she does seem to get better at this, though it really depends on the writer...

Though, I have to wonder what parent-child conferences are like with that family...

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:12 am

ulisa wrote:Though, I have to wonder what parent-child conferences are like with that family...
I tend to think the kids listen uncomfortably as Chi-Chi goes off on her tangents. Meanwhile, if Goku's there, he's around and has to sit through it too, even though he's not very apart of it.

Super had a moment that kinda' explored this, where Goten wants to go with Goku and train at Whis' stead, then Chi-Chi intervenes. Unfortunate for me that this doesn't end up going anywhere in the long run, but it was neat to see Goten and Goku pulling a fast one on Chi-Chi together.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:49 am

ulisa wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
Ulisa wrote:I always wanted to see how Goten fared in a regular school. Gohan didn’t exactly fit in with high school, despite his best efforts, so I’d imagine Goten would have an even worse time. Much as ChiChi wants her kids to be “normal”...they’re not.
I think ChiChi seems to forget that at times. Granted, she is doing the best she can but any information she has on being a mother only applies to humans and her kids are only half-human. I honestly think if she would allow herself to come to terms with the fact that her children and her husband have alien blood and thus, don't act like everyone else, she'd be a lot less stressed. She really needs to take into account BOTH sides of their heritage when it comes to parenting. Truthfully, while there are several things ChiChi does that annoy me, the one that really gets under my skin is when she downplays/insults their Saiyan heritage (i.e. calling Goten a "monster" when he transforms) Whether she likes it or not, her kids are half-Saiyan and when she insults that half of their heritage, that does not send a great message. Though, she does seem to get better at this, though it really depends on the writer...

Though, I have to wonder what parent-child conferences are like with that family...
Agreed, I think it's weird when their saiyan heritage is down played. I thought it was cool how in super it seams like Gohan is embracing it.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
ulisa wrote: I think ChiChi seems to forget that at times. Granted, she is doing the best she can but any information she has on being a mother only applies to humans and her kids are only half-human. I honestly think if she would allow herself to come to terms with the fact that her children and her husband have alien blood and thus, don't act like everyone else, she'd be a lot less stressed. She really needs to take into account BOTH sides of their heritage when it comes to parenting. Truthfully, while there are several things ChiChi does that annoy me, the one that really gets under my skin is when she downplays/insults their Saiyan heritage (i.e. calling Goten a "monster" when he transforms) Whether she likes it or not, her kids are half-Saiyan and when she insults that half of their heritage, that does not send a great message. Though, she does seem to get better at this, though it really depends on the writer...

Agreed, I think it's weird when their saiyan heritage is down played. I thought it was cool how in super it seams like Gohan is embracing it.
I always wished they handled the half-Saiyans better. It seems that they switch between ready-for-battle and want-nothing-to-do with training. Neither extreme makes a lot of sense to me for a mixed race of human and Saiyan. They would likely be somewhere in between.

I think that’s why I like young Gohan because it combined Saiyan prowess with human emotion. I see a liking for the martial arts and the challenge during a peaceful setting (i.e. a spar with family) but also the pursuit of other desires such as exploration and learning. Plus, I love seeing that Saiyan side being pushed into protecting others, something Goku has done on several occasions.

I do like seeing him have both the Saiyan and Earthling desires in Super. Him mentioning that he feels excitement about a battle due to his Saiyan blood makes so much sense. Personally, I figured that he pushed down the Saiyan urge to fight in part “to fit in” like his mother wanted. However, it’s a much a part of him as his human side so it won’t stay buried entirely and it’s starting to poke up and this time, he’s opting to embrace it rather than try and repress it. I always liked how Dragonball Online had him study ki and learn more about it. That’s a great blend of his earthling and Saiyan side.

I’ve always had a head canon that if half Saiyans don’t have a release to let that fighting energy out, they can lose themselves in the thrill of a fight when it does happen, leading to mistakes more so than normal or they lose access to power they have and it almost becomes like a druggie needing a fix. No support for that, just head canon.