Why did they stop gravity training?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Why did they stop gravity training?

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Ok this is something that's been bugging me for ages. Straight of the bat it's shown that 10x gravity sped up Goku's training, giving him more power in a year than he had achieved in his lifetime, then 100x boosted him up to near Ginyu's level in just one week. After that though, nothing.... I suppose there was the ROSAT but when Trunks shows up and warns them about the artificial humans and how strong they are, Goku is like "better go spar in the mountains.". I just an't think of any logical reason to drop such an effective training tool.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Why did they stop gravity training?

Post by Lionel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 pm

It's effective but the gravitational pressure in the Room of Spirit and Time, for example, was noted to be only one element behind the room's usability -- other elements such as the extreme temperature fluctuations and fractionalised air supply likely contributed a great deal to the training. Would undergoing higher levels of gravitational training be useful? Probably, but even the basic environments like highly elevated mountains can be advantageous to train in and acclimate to the climate of since they can be quite rigorous themselves. On the summit of Mount Everest in the real world, the air supply is reduced to about a third of what one can feel at sea level -- when there's zephyrs shifting the directional currents of the wind it can decrease even further by an estimated 14%. It comes out to approximately 28.6% of air pressure. For comparison's sake, the ROSAT has 1/10 the air pressure of Earth. It's not that big of a difference. What's more, the temperature can drop down to as low as -60 degrees celsius; that's even colder than the ROSAT!

So yeah, I think gravity training is useful but a fighter doesn't have to limit themselves to just weight-related encumbrances for self-improvement.

King13s

Re: Why did they stop gravity training?

Post by King13s » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:39 am

You've got a couple ways of looking at this.

The boring way:
As a writing device gravity training had it's day in the sun. Obviously it wasn't completely outmoded by the RoSaT because we see Vegeta and kid Trunks using it up until the Buu arc. However that was it being used as a device to show how strong the children were. As far as a mechanic to increase strength, it was used up. Most of Toriyama's power up gimmicks are a one and done thing. You don't see Vegeta shooting himself in the chest and chewing on Senzu beans, even though logic says that would be the easiest way to power up. No, use the mechanic then throw it away.

The more interesting answer:
Weight training and resistance training have their limits. You can pack on pounds of muscle all you want through these means, but your body can and will reach a limit. Martial arts and being a fighter aren't just about muscle power. Ki training, mental training, and general technique expansion are needed. Super does a nice job of touching on this with Whis. In that regard gravity training can be useful as far as stress and stamina training, but the characters that would use it, have outgrown the need for physical improvement