Belmod and Marcarita Relationship

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Belmod and Marcarita Relationship

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Ok so I heard down the ol grape vine that Belmod and Marcarita were going to be depicted as loves in the manga but Toriyama asked that it be changed.

Now I 100% get the mans reasoning behind his choice and at the end of the day Dragon Ball is his creation but that seems like a little bit of wasted character building even if it's just subtle and in the background. I personally find the idea of a God of Destruction and their Angel developing a deeper bond an interesting one. At the end of the day while the Angel's are servants to the GoD, they are also their shackles. It is their job to keep them in line and provide them with many things the Kaioshin are able to do on their own, such a travel across the universe quickly or observe events from afar. It has an undercurrent of forbidden love and I think such a thing would have added to their characters.

What do you guys think?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Belmod and Marcarita Relationship

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Where did you hear that? Who allegedly wanted it? Toyotaro? Toei?
As for my own thoughts, it would be an interesting thing to delve into but DB is not quite the story to build upon depictions of romance. Goku is the protagonist but he has never even kissed Chi Chi despite being married to her for years, Vegeta is a little more versed in love than Goku but he still isn't a romantic himself, and other characters like Future Trunks offer opportunities to show a more affection side to them but Toriyama's style is to cut it short or skip ahead and show the outcome of relationships instead.
Things like this work a lot better in fan fiction.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

theherodjl wrote:Where did you hear that? Who allegedly wanted it? Toyotaro? Toei?
As for my own thoughts, it would be an interesting thing to delve into but DB is not quite the story to build upon depictions of romance. Goku is the protagonist but he has never even kissed Chi Chi despite being married to her for years, Vegeta is a little more versed in love than Goku but he still isn't a romantic himself, and other characters like Future Trunks offer opportunities to show a more affection side to them but Toriyama's style is to cut it short or skip ahead and show the outcome of relationships instead.
I'll be totally honest, its from the dreaded wiki. I take it with a gran of salt but it was an interesting enough idea that I thought it worth talking about. Also since this place is full of dragon ball fanatics (in a good way) I can also quickly find out how correct the info is.

According to "them" it was Toyotaro idea, but Toriyama advised him that Angels are sent by Zen-Oh and would not have an interest in such things. And As I said, I get it. This is Dragon Ball and romance was never its strong suit.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:50 pm

It would have been interesting if that was the reason he is going to retire and they were looking for a replacement for him.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:58 pm

theherodjl wrote:Where did you hear that? Who allegedly wanted it? Toyotaro? Toei?
It was Toyotaro. https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/929247795873058818

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
It was Toyotaro. https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/929247795873058818
Sheesh, i wonder if Toyotaro was aware that this would partially justify the Yaoi fan fiction of Beerus X Whis?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 pm

It's kinda upsetting that Toriyama wants almost all the angels and gods to have the same boring
type of relationship. Toyotaro had the right idea.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I agree with you. There is no need to add that to Super. I don't think seeing a God of Destruction and an Angel in a relationship helps the story. It may be a cool fact but not something people will care about.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:19 pm

majinwarman wrote:
I agree with you. There is no need to add that to Super. I don't think seeing a God of Destruction and an Angel in a relationship helps the story. It may be a cool fact but not something people will care about.
You underestimate the power of shippers and the some of the insanity they come up with.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:45 am

Not a shipper of it, but I certainly wouldn't have minded seeing Joker and Harley...
Uh, Belmod and Marcarita be together, if only to have a bit more diversity amongst the GoDs and their Angel mentors.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 am

Asura wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
You underestimate the power of shippers and the some of the insanity they come up with.
I understand that but not everything should be shipped.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 am

majinwarman wrote:I agree with you. There is no need to add that to Super. I don't think seeing a God of Destruction and an Angel in a relationship helps the story. It may be a cool fact but not something people will care about.
==>
Wizard Sesame wrote:It would have been interesting if that was the reason he is going to retire and they were looking for a replacement for him.