Seems Saiyans aren't the only ones who care about family

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Seems Saiyans aren't the only ones who care about family

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:02 pm

[Super Manga/Anime Spoilers]

So as I was laying awake last night, thinking about Dragonball as I tend to do, I was thinking about how apparently Saiyans usually don't care about each other in a familial way, I thought about how in Super Bulma has had this sister in the background for in story decades before telling anyone including her husband and son. Then specifically in the Super Manga, Seventeen has a flashback to after he was revived in the Cell Saga, Eighteen gave him a recap and just flew away and they haven't seen each other for ten years, until the TOP. And then finally I thought about Videl told Gohan how it's rare for people to keep surnames, the name that ties you to your immediate family.

So in conclusion, People in Dragonball, not just saiyans, don't care about who they are or what relatives they have. Not at least they need them for something.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Seems Saiyans aren't the only ones who care about family

Post by Ozotto » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 am

I think there's an unspoken or off screen tension or awkwardness between 17 and 18 after the conclusion of the Cell Games.

I know this is head canon, but it seems like there might be something there.

With either side feeling the other betrayed them or feeling the other is too far gone etc.

Which isn't eactly uncommon in a dysfunctional family dynamic.

There might be some sentiment of regret or something between them in relation to their behaviour during the android saga.

Maybe 18 feels 17 had a dominate influence over her... Or maybe 18 feels like 17 may resent her for loving Krillin... some sort of conflict between free thinking and programming between the two.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 am

Ozotto wrote:I think there's an unspoken or off screen tension or awkwardness between 17 and 18 after the conclusion of the Cell Games.

I know this is head canon, but it seems like there might be something there.

With either side feeling the other betrayed them or feeling the other is too far gone etc.

Which isn't eactly uncommon in a dysfunctional family dynamic.

There might be some sentiment of regret or something between them in relation to their behaviour during the android saga.

Maybe 18 feels 17 had a dominate influence over her... Or maybe 18 feels like 17 may resent her for loving Krillin... some sort of conflict between free thinking and programming between the two.
I think it's more that they're just too different. 18 wanted to settle down and raise a family while 17 wanted to be a parkranger. I mean you can see through out the arc that 17 was more adventurous and 18 was just putting up with him. So to me it makes sense that they just sorta grew apart.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:33 am

I think Videl is embarassed by Mr Satan and doesn't want to have a name that directly relates to him, which would be "Videl Satan." I'm assuming that's her name (because I think Mr Satan's name is probably Mark Satan). Or maybe she's heard of the people in the English-speaking world triggered by her dad's name (irl of course) and doesn't want to be censored :lol:
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu