How Bardock went back in time.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ricardolindo

How Bardock went back in time.

Post by Ricardolindo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello, for years, people have wondered how Bardock went back in time in "Episode of Bardock". Well, Xenoverse 2 provides the answer. As pointed out in http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon ... of_Bardock, it is implied that it was due to Towa's meddling. Towa said that she sent Bardock through a wormhole, just, before he was killed, by Frieza, and, then, he ran away into the distant past, where she, and Mira, captured, and brainwashed, him. As in Xenoverse 2, Bardock is capable of transforming into Super Saiyan, it is strongly implied that Bardock was captured after his battle with Chilled. Chronoa and the Time Patrol don't seem to have any problem with the event being part of true history, and likely allowed it to remain.

precita
Banned

Re: How Bardock went back in time.

Post by precita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:26 pm

All these non-canon videogame stories and specials make my brain melt. I really wish they left Bardock untouched. Same for all those Heroes new transformations and garbage.

It taints the canon representation of Dragonball.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:05 pm

precita wrote:All these non-canon videogame stories and specials make my brain melt. I really wish they left Bardock untouched. Same for all those Heroes new transformations and garbage.

Just think of the movies as their own canon, the Xenoverse games with their own canon, and then the main series.

Ricardolindo

Post by Ricardolindo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Canon as an absolute does not exist. Canon is relative. For example, GT and Super are both canon to Z but GT and Super are not canon to each other. They are alternate timelines to each other.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Not only an official canon does not exist for Dragon Ball, it's not like things like "Golden Form", big muscles, long hair and no eyebrows, fur all over the body and recolors are a symbol of a masterpiece either.

As for Bardock, yeah, XV2 explains how he travelled back in time. While it is an official explanation, it's not like people will use it out there. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:35 am

Makes a hell of lot more sense than just assuming that Freeza's attack destroying the planet magically sent him back in time rather than just blowing him up.

And since Episode of Bardock can't really work in the continuity of the main series (Chilled warned of a Saiyan whose hair turns gold, while his descendants like Freeza had no idea that Super Saiyans had golden hair...), I see no problem with linking it to the video games. They both fall into a similar doesn't-quite-fit "what if..." category in relation to the main series' storyline.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:14 am

In context, Xenoverse 2 came out 5 years after Episode of Bardock and serves as a retcon the film's events for Xenoverse's own continuity but the original intentions of EoB point to just being an explanation of the original SSJ in its own continuity. In a past tense observation, I guess there was just a singularity located on Planet Vegeta that was waiting for someone to travel through and Freeza's attack just so happened to push Bardock into it, it doesnt seem too out there given the suspension of belief that the series is capable of as a whole.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 am

precita wrote:All these non-canon videogame stories and specials make my brain melt. I really wish they left Bardock untouched. Same for all those Heroes new transformations and garbage.

I don't know why it's so easy for me on this specific topic, but I view Bardock: Father of Goku as the true canon version and everything else is just for fun shits n' giggles.

And I don't give a damn about Minus, Father of Goku came first (and is the 2nd best DBZ movie/special) so that's the canon in my eyes.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 am

I thought the Supreme Kai of Time did it...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:33 am

Pantalones wrote:And since Episode of Bardock can't really work in the continuity of the main series (Chilled warned of a Saiyan whose hair turns gold, while his descendants like Freeza had no idea that Super Saiyans had golden hair...)
All that indicates is that some details were lost in time. There's nothing in Episode of Bardock that prevents it from working with, nor directly contradicts, the main series (manga or anime).

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:39 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Pantalones wrote:And since Episode of Bardock can't really work in the continuity of the main series (Chilled warned of a Saiyan whose hair turns gold, while his descendants like Freeza had no idea that Super Saiyans had golden hair...)
All that indicates is that some details were lost in time. There's nothing in Episode of Bardock that prevents it from working with, nor directly contradicts, the main series (manga or anime).
It does contradict the main series because Bardock was made to be the first Super Saiyan of Legend, when in reality, it's Yamoshi.

Ricardolindo

Post by Ricardolindo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
It does contradict the main series because Bardock was made to be the first Super Saiyan of Legend, when in reality, it's Yamoshi.
No, Yamoshi was simply the last Super Saiyan before Goku. Besides, Episode of Bardock happens in an altered timeline due to Towa's actions, not in the original main timeline which explains all inconsistencies.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:28 am

Ricardolindo wrote:No, Yamoshi was simply the last Super Saiyan before Goku. Besides, Episode of Bardock happens in an altered timeline due to Towa's actions, not in the original main timeline which explains all inconsistencies.
Was the “legendary Super Saiyan” Freeza feared the Super Saiyan God that appeared in Battle of Gods?
In a certain sense, they are the same person. That is to say, very long ago, before Planet Vegeta was the Saiyans’ planet, there was a man named Yamoshi4 who had a righteous heart despite being a Saiyan.
Yamoshi is the legendary Super Saiyan Freeza feared, while Bardock was the legendary Super Saiyan that Chilled passed on to his offsprings that became the legend Freeza feared before Yamoshi was introduced, which is a contradiction.
I don't know about the video games, Luso Saiyan was talking about Episode of Bardock.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:47 am

mute_proxy wrote:It does contradict the main series because Bardock was made to be the first Super Saiyan of Legend, when in reality, it's Yamoshi.
No, he wasn't. He was sent to the past, but not his own past. That's how time travel works in DB. Besides, there's nothing indicating in Episode of Bardock that he was the first Super Saiyan ever.

Ricardolindo

Post by Ricardolindo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:28 pm

Pantalones wrote:Makes a hell of lot more sense than just assuming that Freeza's attack destroying the planet magically sent him back in time rather than just blowing him up.

And since Episode of Bardock can't really work in the continuity of the main series (Chilled warned of a Saiyan whose hair turns gold, while his descendants like Freeza had no idea that Super Saiyans had golden hair...), I see no problem with linking it to the video games. They both fall into a similar doesn't-quite-fit "what if..." category in relation to the main series' storyline.
Once again, those details can be explained due to the fact that Episode of Bardock happens in an altered timeline thus Frieza's knowledge in the altered timeline was probably different or, perhaps, the same given that oral tellings often loose certain details.

Ricardolindo

Post by Ricardolindo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:29 pm

theherodjl wrote:In context, Xenoverse 2 came out 5 years after Episode of Bardock and serves as a retcon the film's events for Xenoverse's own continuity but the original intentions of EoB point to just being an explanation of the original SSJ in its own continuity. In a past tense observation, I guess there was just a singularity located on Planet Vegeta that was waiting for someone to travel through and Freeza's attack just so happened to push Bardock into it, it doesnt seem too out there given the suspension of belief that the series is capable of as a whole.
The Xenoverse games have as one of their purposes, explaining continuity and resolving inconsistencies, so they are to be accepted.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Ricardolindo wrote:The Xenoverse games have as one of their purposes, explaining continuity and resolving inconsistencies, so they are to be accepted.
The video games explain its own canon, not the manga, anime, or movies. Neither Akira Toriyama, Toyotaro, or Toei have come out and stated anything along the lines that the video games fill in the blanks in the main story or that the video games even have any impact on their works.
EoB is still its own story that hasn't officially been retconned by Xenoverse. If we were to actually apply that logic then any events that occur in the video games, whether that be reinterpretation of story arcs or what-ifs? and the inconsistencies they bring, are a legitimate telling of the DB lore.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Only if you let it.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm

What if Episode of Bardock was just Bardock experiencing a huge DMT dump in his brain as he died.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Yeah that would be cool however I don't think dieing works that way.