Could Goku really have defeated Fat Buu?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Could Goku really have defeated Fat Buu?

Post by AvatarReiko » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:50 pm

When talking to Piccolo, Goku stated twice on two separate occasions that he couldn't beat Fat Buu then later says he could. Practically, could he actually have beaten him? When Goku and Fat fought previously, the two appeared to be evenly matched and the latter had yet to show any signs of being serious. Furthermore, Goku almost surely would have had the same issues he had against Kid Buu; overcoming Buu's regen and endurance. So what are your thoughts?

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Could Goku really have defeated Fat Buu?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Doubtful. While he did tell Vegeta he could, he also thought he could beat Pure Boo before knowing of SSJ3's stamina drain.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 pm

Goku definitely would've been more successful than in his fight with Pure Boo. The Fat Majin Boo was only marginally stronger than the SSJ2 tier while Pure Boo was marginally weaker than the SSJ3 tier, if the SSJ3 multiplier from Goku's SSJ2 is applied then that's a difference of about 3x greater power that Pure Boo has over Fat Boo. Surely Goku could destroy 1/3rd the power of Pure Boo, right?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:22 pm

Goku was not at full power against Fat Buu. He was trying to save time for Trunks to come with the dragon radar. Not to mention that Goku wanted both Trunks and Goten to be the ones in charge of saving the world instead of him. Given all these circumstances, I doubt Goku was using the full x400 increase that the SSJ3 transformation has.

I know we shouldn't include filler here, but in Movie 12, Goku said Fat Janemba was the strongest ki he ever sensed, which means stronger than Fat Buu, but in his SSJ3 he still surpassed him in power, and that's good enough for me.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:28 pm

Goku didn't know Buu could regenerate, nor about Buu turning people into candy.

Even if SSJ3 Goku went all out against Fat Buu, he might have lost. In addition to SSJ3's heavy stamina drain and Goku shrinking down to SSJ

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:37 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:Goku almost surely would have had the same issues he had against Kid Buu; overcoming Buu's regen and endurance. So what are your thoughts?
I disagree on this point actually. One of the problems Goku faces when using SS3 later against Kid Buu is that he's alive, and thus is limited by the drain SS3 has on his energy levels; he basically has unlimited ki to use for demonstrating SS3 to Kid Buu. While the ramifications of this aren't explored, it's likely he would have been able to keep up with Fat Buu and eventually overwhelm him, assuming he didn't take too much damage or was turned into candy.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm

If he could fight evenly with kid Buu, who is stronger than Fat Buu, plus we have a statement saying he could, ya I would say he could.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 pm

theherodjl wrote:Goku definitely would've been more successful than in his fight with Pure Boo. The Fat Majin Boo was only marginally stronger than the SSJ2 tier while Pure Boo was marginally weaker than the SSJ3 tier, if the SSJ3 multiplier from Goku's SSJ2 is applied then that's a difference of about 3x greater power that Pure Boo has over Fat Boo. Surely Goku could destroy 1/3rd the power of Pure Boo, right?
Fat Boo marginally above SSJ2s? Vegeta got bent over by him and Piccolo stated Boo could take an army of SSJ2s.

Boo also fought toe to toe with SSJ3 Goku, a feat a opponent 3x weaker could never perform.
KBABZ wrote:I disagree on this point actually. One of the problems Goku faces when using SS3 later against Kid Buu is that he's alive, and thus is limited by the drain SS3 has on his energy levels; he basically has unlimited ki to use for demonstrating SS3 to Kid Buu. While the ramifications of this aren't explored, it's likely he would have been able to keep up with Fat Buu and eventually overwhelm him, assuming he didn't take too much damage or was turned into candy.
Goku was sweating bullets and breathing heavily after fighting Fatso though.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:59 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Goku was sweating bullets and breathing heavily after fighting Fatso though.
That's because by using SS3 he was eating into the remaining time he had on Earth, not because SS3 directly tired him out.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:16 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Fat Boo marginally above SSJ2s? Vegeta got bent over by him and Piccolo stated Boo could take an army of SSJ2s.

Boo also fought toe to toe with SSJ3 Goku, a feat a opponent 3x weaker could never perform.
And yet despite being described as an opponent that Vegeta couldn't beat, Boo had a hole blasted through him pretty easily by said inferior opponent. Compare that to another one sided fight such as Piccolo vs powered-up Imperfect Cell, Piccolo's Ki attack didn't even put a scratch on Cell while Vegeta's attacks on Boo were inflicting damage but Boo's regen was reversing the affect. Boo was stronger than Vegeta by everyone's admission but he wasn't much stronger, other fights in DB between opponents where the fight was already decided didn't make it seem like there was hope as Vegeta demonstrated.

Also the Fat Boo was NOT fighting toe to toe with SSJ3 Goku, it was merely Goku's plan to hold back and stall Boo for Trunks to obtain the radar and so he could teach the boys fusion. If you want to make that argument then FPSSJ Goku was fighting toe to toe with Perfect Cell despite Cell still holding back an ample amount of power.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm

theherodjl wrote:And yet despite being described as an opponent that Vegeta couldn't beat, Boo had a hole blasted through him pretty easily by said inferior opponent.
I always saw Buu as being like bubble gum. He's pretty easy to punch a hole through, but his crazy reforming ability means that he takes almost no damage from it.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:I always saw Buu as being like bubble gum. He's pretty easy to punch a hole through, but his crazy reforming ability means that he takes almost no damage from it.
I would like to note that Fat Boo did say that Vegeta's attack "hurt a little bit" then proceeded to get angry and unleash a massive wave of Ki, he seems to make such a statement regarding pain only if the attack can really harm him. Kid Boo purposely letting Vegeta repeatedly blow up his legs in filler but seemingly feeling no pain from this action suggests that Boo can alter how his body reacts to weaker attacks but that truly strong attacks catch him off guard.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 am

We saw a weakened Ssj2 Vegeta nearly do it so chances are a serious full powered up Ssj3 could've killed him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:42 pm

KBABZ wrote:That's because by using SS3 he was eating into the remaining time he had on Earth, not because SS3 directly tired him out.
But why wasting his time would affect his stamina?
theherodjl wrote:And yet despite being described as an opponent that Vegeta couldn't beat, Boo had a hole blasted through him pretty easily by said inferior opponent. Compare that to another one sided fight such as Piccolo vs powered-up Imperfect Cell, Piccolo's Ki attack didn't even put a scratch on Cell while Vegeta's attacks on Boo were inflicting damage but Boo's regen was reversing the affect. Boo was stronger than Vegeta by everyone's admission but he wasn't much stronger, other fights in DB between opponents where the fight was already decided didn't make it seem like there was hope as Vegeta demonstrated.

Also the Fat Boo was NOT fighting toe to toe with SSJ3 Goku, it was merely Goku's plan to hold back and stall Boo for Trunks to obtain the radar and so he could teach the boys fusion. If you want to make that argument then FPSSJ Goku was fighting toe to toe with Perfect Cell despite Cell still holding back an ample amount of power.
Vegeta also ripped off half of Cell's body and left him in agony, what Vegeta can do with a Ki attack is way different than what he can do, not to mention Boo wasn't even at full power on that moment. Vegeta never had any hope at all, even before Boo showed his full power he knew he was going to die fighting. Piccolo also said it doesn't matter how many people went at Boo, implying he was on a whole another level compared to SSJ2s.

The plan was to stall Boo, it doesn't mean he was lollygagging for Trunks' sake. Both Goku and Boo considered the fight entertaining, so they certainly are on a similiar level.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:59 pm

sintzu wrote:We saw a weakened Ssj2 Vegeta nearly do it so chances are a serious full powered up Ssj3 could've killed him.

The fact you say Vegeta was weakened makes me think if Vegeta could have stood a better chance at 100%
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
sintzu wrote:We saw a weakened Ssj2 Vegeta nearly do it so chances are a serious full powered up Ssj3 could've killed him.

The fact you say Vegeta was weakened makes me think if Vegeta could have stood a better chance at 100%
He took on Buu's blast head on and was beaten nearly to death by him before Trunks saved him so had that not happened and he was at 100% then I think his "final atonment" would've gotten the job done. On top of the damage he took from Buu he wasted some of his energy fighting him and using that Ki blast that blew a hole through him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

sintzu wrote: He took on Buu's blast head on and was beaten nearly to death by him before Trunks saved him so had that not happened and he was at 100% then I think his "final atonment" would've gotten the job done. On top of the damage he took from Buu he wasted some of his energy fighting him and using that Ki blast that blew a hole through him.
I dunno if Vegeta blowing him up in pieces means much. Boo doesn't even bother with his guard since he can regenerate infinitely. I mean, even bullets were piercing him.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:00 pm

I think not.
Goku underestimated the drain SS3 causes and so he might not get the job done in time, or be capable of powering up a full power blast before his ki runs out.
On top of that he'd have to completely disintegrate Buu like the Genkidama did, which isn't something he's certain to do, as even Vegeta's self-destruct left Fat Buu in pieces, which would mean Goku could face the dilemma of having to destroy all those pieces, before Buu gets a chance to regenerate and hope that he has enough ki to do so by that point.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 pm

sintzu wrote:
He took on Buu's blast head on and was beaten nearly to death by him before Trunks saved him so had that not happened and he was at 100% then I think his "final atonment" would've gotten the job done. On top of the damage he took from Buu he wasted some of his energy fighting him and using that Ki blast that blew a hole through him.
I could definitely seeing 100% Vegeta kill Buu with a very charged up Final Flash if Buu is stupid enough to let it him with it
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Nah. SSJ3 would have likely burned out before Goku could have gotten the job done. Plus, Majin Boo's regeneration was incredibly haxed.