Vegeta's Saiyan pride and disdain for Saiyans.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thezander

Vegeta's Saiyan pride and disdain for Saiyans.

Post by thezander » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:15 am

One thing that always bothered me about Vegeta was that he killed nappa for losing to Goku and hated Goku. He did give him a chance to be a replacement right? With the ultimate goal of teaming up to beat frieza in the back of his mind. The reason he must of hated Goku for denying the chance was because he knew they could beat frieza he should have told Goku he would be pysched to fight him.

I'm getting off track, Vegeta never seems to respect Saiyans talking about lower class and this and that, who does he care about? Being the prince of all Saiyans apparently meant something to him however he could care less if there were any Saiyans alive. His dragon wish was going to be for power or immortality nothing to do with resurrecting his planet or people. It seems very inconsistent,

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Vegeta's Saiyan pride and disdain for Saiyans.

Post by Lightdasher » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 am

When it comes to Vegeta killing Nappa, I believe he did it with saiyan pride, thinking that any saiyan who is too weak to fight is too useless to carry on. If it matters, from the creative perspective at the time, this was also important in the sense of letting the readers/viewers (as well as Goku, Gohan, and Krillin) know just how strong Vegeta was when compared to Nappa, who'd taken down the other Z-fighters pretty easily.

Anything I could say from here on would be speculation.. Who knows why Vegeta didn't seem to desire wishing his people back? He obviously wanted power first and foremost, so perhaps he simply wanted that more than the resurrection of his race and would have also gone with the latter if he'd known multiple wishes could be made? Afterall, what would bringing back all saiyans do if Freeza simply kills them off again?
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:05 am

I mean, look at Early Modern royalty, who were all about (insert whatever nation-state they were from). Do you think that Louis XIV gave a single fuck about the peasants?

Vegeta's clearly got some classist issues going on. He may like the idea of "Saiyan-ness" but he's the fucking prince. Why should he care about the filthy nobodies that his dad ruled over?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

thezander

Post by thezander » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:56 pm

Nappa was pretty beat before Vegeta wasted him, I took it as a shocking display of ruthlessness like breaking bad and the box cutter. When you bring up real life royalty I see where you are coming from, but with Vegeta it just seems like a lose lose scenario. Either you're weaker than him or someone else that is weaker and he kills you, you surpass him in power and strength and he gets crazy jealous and indignant.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:21 am

To add onto some other observations concerning Vegeta's character at the time, Nappa technically violated his directive by charging out after Goku's fatigued allies, thus inadvertently prompting Goku to protectively retaliate with a devastating Kaioken attack, instead of holding his fists and retreating from the field as was told of him to do. If he had done what Vegeta had asked then he probably would have survived until a later date.

Like others have said, Vegeta is entranced by the prestige and the image of the Saiyan people -- their ferocity, their power, and their uncompromising desire to be their own people are all traits that appeal to the man that Vegeta is. However, what the idea of a Saiyan should be is not the same as the Saiyan people themselves. Vegeta cared little about his fellow Saiyans. Maybe he respected the other powerful elites of the aristocracy, but who they were as people with their own interests/personalities outside of combat is not what Vegeta was interested in; he's an amoral narcissistic sociopath that couldn't care about anything or anyone except himself. To him, your worth is measured by how hard and feverishly you're able to swing a stick at some hapless being unable to defend themselves.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am

Yeah I was thinking about this earlier, wondering if vegeta liked nappa. I don't think he did nappa seemed like a soldier that he commanded around. I don't know if we have a dirth of evidence that says that he hates all saiyans, it's safe to say he didn't like radditz. I would say he didnt hate Gohan seemed to respect him as time elapsed in the initial battle. I just think he didn't like radditz and nappa because they seemed to be around eachother and it was noted that they didn't seem to bathe. It's possible

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 pm

Well the worst in Vegeta was present at the time due to Frieza. I don't think he had any distain for his own race.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Well the worst in Vegeta was present at the time due to Frieza. I don't think he had any distain for his own race.
Vegeta was born evil, just like Piccolo Daimaō, Frieza had little to do with the personality Vegeta was quite obviously born with, and Vegeta pretty much always had held such an immense resentment over those he had the chance to have met or at the very least he had ever heard of in his life who would be almost as strong, just as strong, even stronger, and to those who are especially much weaker than himself like Yamcha.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Well the worst in Vegeta was present at the time due to Frieza. I don't think he had any distain for his own race.
Vegeta was born evil, just like Piccolo Daimaō, Frieza had little to do with the personality Vegeta was quite obviously born with, and Vegeta pretty much always had held such an immense resentment over those he had the chance to have met or at the very least he had ever heard of in his life who would be almost as strong, just as strong, even stronger, and to those who are especially much weaker than himself like Yamcha.
Well yeah but Frieza made him a whole lot worse. Nappa's reaction to Vegeta terminating him suggests that Vegeta's excessive ruthlessness is unusual. Though in the filler King Vegeta executes a subject for failing in their mission.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.