Is Jiren a Prodigy?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Is Jiren a Prodigy?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:00 am

My own fan theory says that Belmod sensed the latent power in Jiren so he disguised himself as the evil doer and forced Jiren to obsess about strength by killing all he knew and loved, the intention being that Jiren might become Belmod's successor if all he cared about was strength with no personal attachments in his life. I'd say that Jiren is definitely prodigious since he achieved power on par with the Hakaishin just by training really hard, something even Goku couldn't do without the discovery and implementation of SSJG and its variants. Jiren's ability puts Freeza's to shame and I wouldn't be surprised if he still has some potential left.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 am

theherodjl wrote:My own fan theory says that Belmod sensed the latent power in Jiren so he disguised himself as the evil doer and forced Jiren to obsess about strength by killing all he knew and loved, the intention being that Jiren might become Belmod's successor if all he cared about was strength with no personal attachments in his life. I'd say that Jiren is definitely prodigious since he achieved power on par with the Hakaishin just by training really hard, something even Goku couldn't do without the discovery and implementation of SSJG and its variants. Jiren's ability puts Freeza's to shame and I wouldn't be surprised if he still has some potential left.
The way Belmod describe Jirens back story doesn't make it seam like he would do that to him. He probably didn't even know Jiren existed at the time. On top of that Jiren wasn't even going to become a GoD, Toppo was. We also don't know how old Jiren is, for all we know he's 1000 years old. 1000 years, heck 150 years of non stop training might get you that kind of power. Goku has gotten close to the GoDs, now with UI he probably rivals them. Goku is what about 40 years old? So with like 35 years of training he achieved a state that even the GoD struggle to achieve.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:50 am

Bruma rabu wrote:The way Belmod describe Jirens back story doesn't make it seam like he would do that to him. He probably didn't even know Jiren existed at the time. On top of that Jiren wasn't even going to become a GoD, Toppo was. We also don't know how old Jiren is, for all we know he's 1000 years old. 1000 years, heck 150 years of non stop training might get you that kind of power. Goku has gotten close to the GoDs, now with UI he probably rivals them. Goku is what about 40 years old? So with like 35 years of training he achieved a state that even the GoD struggle to achieve.
Admittedly, its still a working theory. However, i would like to think that Jiren was the candidate to be the Hakaishin until he made it clear that he wouldn't, Belmod then faded away in his evil doer disguise and moved on to Toppo upon noticing that he too had massive potential. The fact that Belmod knows Jiren's story quite well suggests that Jiren told Belmod about his past or Marcarita dug around into Jiren's history with her staff to find out...or that Belmod already knew because he had something to do with Jiren's origins. Its entirely possible, the Hakaishin have the excuse of being neither inherently good or evil to justify their actions.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:42 am

Akyon wrote:Well I mean Goku is a prodigy of sorts.

Outside his abnormal superhuman strength(which is subpar for a Saiyan at best prior to his training), Goku has always been extremely talented at picking up techniques and forming counter strategies simply by seeing them performed once even by Earthling standards.
I feel like Goku's ability to rapidly learn new techniques (including techniques that the other Z-fighters are seemingly never able to master, such as Instant Transmission) is supposed to be sort of a savant syndrome thing, which sometimes happens when someone's brain is damaged:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:29 pm

lancerman wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I'm a huge comic book fan so maybe that's another reason why I like them better than Jiren. But, I still like Jiren though.
You have whole stories explaining their motivations and backgrounds. Jiren had and like half an episode so I guess it makes sense why you'd like them better. While Jiren story isn't original I think it's unique to dragon ball as I can't necessarily think of anybody with that kinda of back ground in the series. I don't think Jiren is a prodigy, he just pushed him self as far as he can and then some.
Jiren's like what Thanos is right now. We know a very cursory knowledge about him, but we also know he's the top of the food chain. That alone makes him significant.
That is a perfect analogy for Jiren. But I hope that Infinity War tells us Thanos's backstory because his comic book one is crazy.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Of course Jiren is, in the same way mandrills and gorillas are the largest ape and monkey species in the world. He's got the biggest muscles and can easily defend himself against would-be threats. Goku is sort of similar in that all he needed to skyrocket up through the power level charts was the right conditions and teachers. When it comes to bona-fide technical aptitude, Goku does show good promise; a lot moreso than Jiren who seems like a bruiser for the most part. I may not go so far as to say that he's more of a "prodigy" in the context that's unrelated to power than some of the other Z-fighters around him. Many of his crowning achievements are attributable to being the first recipient of some grand new training method or having first access to a transformation exclusive to his species. With Jiren, we don't how and where he become such an indomitable juggernaut. Could Belmod have taken him under his wing? It's a possibility.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 am

I think that Jiren is like Naruto; He always had the potential to be insanely strong but just didn't know it at first. But both of them gain godly strength in a relatively short amount of time once they apply themselves.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Firebolt wrote:A Goku-like prodigy. Just like Goku he had seemingly no power in the beginning, but after training hard with great teachers and gaining powerful motivation he became the strongest.

But unlike Goku, he abandoned trust and that's ultimately what will allow Goku to beat him, since Goku went Ultra Instinct because of his friends.
Goku took a gunshot to the head and lifted a car, how is that seemingly having no power in the beginning?
That means nothing. Goku's not human, him withstanding weapons made to kill humans stopped being impressive once his backstory got retconned.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:46 pm

AloversGaming wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Firebolt wrote:A Goku-like prodigy. Just like Goku he had seemingly no power in the beginning, but after training hard with great teachers and gaining powerful motivation he became the strongest.

But unlike Goku, he abandoned trust and that's ultimately what will allow Goku to beat him, since Goku went Ultra Instinct because of his friends.
Goku took a gunshot to the head and lifted a car, how is that seemingly having no power in the beginning?
That means nothing. Goku's not human, him withstanding weapons made to kill humans stopped being impressive once his backstory got retconned.
Kuririn and Roshi did it too.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 pm

No Jiren isnt. He just trained his ass off to get to that level. The only prodigies are Gohan and Freeza.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote: I think Jiren is better than those 2.
Better than Killmonger and Loki? I mean it's your opinion but I disagree. I like Jiren but not that much.
I probably feel that way cause I'm not that invested in the MCU.
I'm definitely nowhere near invested in the MCU as I am DB but IMO, I still believe that Kilmonger's character is better than Geran's.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"