Were Trunks and Kid/Teen Gohan a missed opportunity?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Were Trunks and Kid/Teen Gohan a missed opportunity?

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:33 am

For being his former master from a different time, I feel like the relationship with Trunks and Gohan was kind of a missed opportunity, I thought there would be more of a relation between the two forming a bond, but they never really did.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Were Trunks and Kid/Teen Gohan a missed opportunity?

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:49 pm

I agree; I'm genuinely surprised that, when Trunks and Gohan go out on a little excursion for the mystery Time Machine, nothing was made of Trunks spending some time with the younger, obviously more light-hearted version of his former master who was killed tragically.

On the flipside however, it's easy to forget that Trunks: The Story, the bonus Chapter where we do find out about Trunks' past in more detail, didn't come out for another seven months after the above event occurred in the manga (and three for the anime equivalent). The inclusion of Gohan as Trunks' mentor was likely only written when Trunks: The Story was, hence why it wasn't acknowledged earlier.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:54 pm

Yeah it would have been great if they at least acknowledged to Kid Gohan that he was the only survivor in Trunks' timeline when the androids attacked and kill everyone. (Thankfully TFS didn't forget it :lol: )

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:19 pm

I still to this day think it should have been Gohan training with Future Trunks as supposed to Goku. That could have served as a wonderful way of further developing both those characters. With Gohan realizing what future was ahead of him and being decidedly convicted to becoming the strongest possible. And in Future Trunks case, he could have had more closure with a person who was dear to him.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:09 pm

I too always found that odd...but if Gohan was decided as a mentor at a later point, then I can get it. Shame when Super hit they barely interacted though.

Honestly I really feel like the already excellent Zamasu arc could have been even more interesting if Zamasu had stolen Gohan's body instead of Goku's.

Narratively it would have been more emotionally impactful for Trunks to fight against his beloved former teacher's body, still proving that Gohan could be a ridiculously powerful fighter if he chose to be, and at the same time mildly amusing that Gohan's body is on the recieving end of a rage boosted opponent for once.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."