Android Biology

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Android Biology

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Was it ever explained just how much of the androids humanity was replaced with robot parts? I know some more information about them has slowly come out over the years, but I don’t remember anything too specific going into their details.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Android Biology

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Unfortunately none of the organic-converted Androids have ever sustained the type of injury for us to tell anything! I can't recall them ever shedding blood, or having an open wound that might inform us of their physical makeup. Well, with the exception of Dr. Gero himself.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm

It's been said that Androids #17 and #18 are still mostly human and that most of the modifications were organic, with the obvious exception of the bomb and probably a few other things (whatever was put in so that Gero's shutdown switch put them into stasis, for example. They seem to have been "programmed" with data on Goku so I imagine there's a computer of some sort connected to their brain providing this info along with making it possible for them to be shut down with a remote control.) Even before the information came out that their modifications were mostly organic ones, I figured they didn't have a whole lot in the way of "robot parts" put inside them -- more like Wolverine style metal reinforced skeletons and that sort of thing.

#20 on the other hand was fully mechanical aside from Dr. Gero's brain -- he was basically a brain-in-a-jar with a robot body.

Nothing's really known about any of the others, except that #16 and #19 were fully mechanical. I've always assumed that #8 was made from dead bodies (or at least one dead body), since he resembles Frankenstein's Monster so closely. Since #17 seemed surprised to see #16 was fully mechanical and reacted as if making a functional and powerful Android with a fully mechanical body was something Gero hadn't been capable of before, I figure this Frankenstein-esque method was the way most of the previous cyborgs were made, and #17 and #18 were the first living humans to undergo the process.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:43 pm

KBABZ wrote:Unfortunately none of the organic-converted Androids have ever sustained the type of injury for us to tell anything! I can't recall them ever shedding blood, or having an open wound that might inform us of their physical makeup. Well, with the exception of Dr. Gero himself.
18 hurt her leg in the ToP.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Unfortunately none of the organic-converted Androids have ever sustained the type of injury for us to tell anything! I can't recall them ever shedding blood, or having an open wound that might inform us of their physical makeup. Well, with the exception of Dr. Gero himself.
I haven't watched Super! What was her anatomy depicted like?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Its a very interesting subject to be shore. To give you a basic breakdown I've grouped all the androids into the categories base the descriptions of their construction or what little details we've seen of their inner workings.

Android - The term android means a robot built in the shape of a human being. As such #16, #19, #14 and #15 all fit into this category.

Cyborg - A cyborg is an organic being who has been upgraded with mechanical parts (this can be minor or almost full body conversation). To date only #20 (Gero) falls into this category.

Bioborg - This is category I invented out of necessity. A Bioborg is a human who's body has been ungraded using organic means and parts, beings only fall into this category if their body were originally an unmodified organic one. #8, #17 and #18 go here.

[spoiler]FighterZ #21 is likely also in this category based what I've seen of the game. She's been heavily modified but is he current body is her original one she's a Bioborg.[/spoiler]

Biot - A biological robot. An organic being that was designed, built and even programed from the ground up. Cell is very much this.

The only stand out is #13, as we've never really seen or been told anything that hints as what type he is.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Everything about the twins is organic except for the eternal energy engines and whatever explosives that were implanted for the purposes of self-destruction. When you think about it, they technically shouldn't be capable of producing an aura since such a characteristic requires not only a physical emission of energy but also will and spirit energy. All of the androids/cyborgs are artificial constructs with untraceable energy signatures using what could probably be described as a renewable source of energy from a natural source like geothermal or something.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
I haven't watched Super! What was her anatomy depicted like?
We didn't see much. However we do know that she had blood.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:40 am

Lord Frieza wrote:Its a very interesting subject to be shore. To give you a basic breakdown I've grouped all the androids into the categories base the descriptions of their construction or what little details we've seen of their inner workings.

Android - The term android means a robot built in the shape of a human being. As such #16, #19, #14 and #15 all fit into this category.

Cyborg - A cyborg is an organic being who has been upgraded with mechanical parts (this can be minor or almost full body conversation). To date only #20 (Gero) falls into this category.

Bioborg - This is category I invented out of necessity. A Bioborg is a human who's body has been ungraded using organic means and parts, beings only fall into this category if their body were originally an unmodified organic one. #8, #17 and #18 go here.

[spoiler]FighterZ #21 is likely also in this category based what I've seen of the game. She's been heavily modified but is he current body is her original one she's a Bioborg.[/spoiler]

Biot - A biological robot. An organic being that was designed, built and even programed from the ground up. Cell is very much this.

The only stand out is #13, as we've never really seen or been told anything that hints as what type he is.
I like this little category system you got going on here. Especially since it always annoyed me when people make claims that 17 and 18 have been mostly mechanically modified, even though the damn series plainly states that's not the case at all.
That's why artificial human works so much better than cyborg, they are just humans who were somehow made stronger and artificially enhanced on a biological and cellular level. Hell calling them enhanced humans is more logical than calling them cyborgs.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 am

I think like what everyone else is saying, their internal systems have been upgraded, along with the infinite energy booster; since androids have unlimited energy. Their biology still seems a mystery but it has been said that #18 was fully human still, just upgraded robotic enhancements to make her extremely durable and powerful. I don't know if that even makes any sense though. Since they should be called "Cyborgs" instead of Androids. :problem:
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Sonofman wrote:I think like what everyone else is saying, their internal systems have been upgraded, along with the infinite energy booster; since androids have unlimited energy. Their biology still seems a mystery but it has been said that #18 was fully human still, just upgraded robotic enhancements to make her extremely durable and powerful. I don't know if that even makes any sense though. Since they should be called "Cyborgs" instead of Androids. :problem:
Never once was it stated 17 and 18 had "robotic enhancements". Only ignorant fans claim this. In fact the recent series went out of its way to claim that the twins were only enhanced and modified of a cellular level to gain there strength. In both the anime and manga.
So no calling them cyborgs is just as false as calling them androids since we don't know if they actually have mechanical enhancments or how impactful those enhancements are if they have them. Artificial Human or Enhanced Human would work best to describe them.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Sonofman wrote:I think like what everyone else is saying, their internal systems have been upgraded, along with the infinite energy booster; since androids have unlimited energy. Their biology still seems a mystery but it has been said that #18 was fully human still, just upgraded robotic enhancements to make her extremely durable and powerful. I don't know if that even makes any sense though. Since they should be called "Cyborgs" instead of Androids. :problem:
Never once was it stated 17 and 18 had "robotic enhancements". Only ignorant fans claim this. In fact the recent series went out of its way to claim that the twins were only enhanced and modified of a cellular level to gain there strength. In both the anime and manga.
So no calling them cyborgs is just as false as calling them androids since we don't know if they actually have mechanical enhancments or how impactful those enhancements are if they have them. Artificial Human or Enhanced Human would work best to describe them.

Okay dude. Chill. It's not like what I said about this was fact or not. Just my observation.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19