Gohan training for UI during the world tournament

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thezander

Gohan training for UI during the world tournament

Post by thezander » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41 pm

I was watching dbz clips today where Goten is is throwing rocks at gihan and Gohan said it was good training for reacting without thinking. Now the relevance of this is by me but I thought it was interesting.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Gohan training for UI during the world tournament

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 am

Training the body to induce a reflex in a fight is not the same thing as the body completely acting on its own. A reflex is the mind subconsciously making the body react upon stimulus of the senses while UI does not require the senses to guide the muscle's actions thus the body reacts independently of the conscious or subconscious mind.
Gohan could deflect progressively faster rocks for years but it wouldn't allow him to tap into UI, his senses would heighten significantly but his body would still be dependent on his mind's function.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

thezander

Post by thezander » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:59 am

theherodjl wrote:Training the body to induce a reflex in a fight is not the same thing as the body completely acting on its own. A reflex is the mind subconsciously making the body react upon stimulus of the senses while UI does not require the senses to guide the muscle's actions thus the body reacts independently of the conscious or subconscious mind.
Gohan could deflect progressively faster rocks for years but it wouldn't allow him to tap into UI, his senses would heighten significantly but his body would still be dependent on his mind's function.
I get what you're saying, but what is training for UI really? It's there a particular method for achieving it? Was the training with whis what did it for Goku? I see that Gohan was trying to sharpen his reflexes where as Vegeta's half baked plan was to get punched until his body parts moved . But if UI really it's a state where the body just does it's thing then years of martial arts training shouldn't matter . If krillin unlocked UI he should be immensely strong as well. I don't understand quite why UI increases power whis never mentioned that but a seemingly base Goku with UI mode can really get punch jiren where a ss3 he let punch him all over and felt nothing.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:39 pm

thezander wrote:I get what you're saying, but what is training for UI really? It's there a particular method for achieving it? Was the training with whis what did it for Goku? I see that Gohan was trying to sharpen his reflexes where as Vegeta's half baked plan was to get punched until his body parts moved . But if UI really it's a state where the body just does it's thing then years of martial arts training shouldn't matter . If krillin unlocked UI he should be immensely strong as well. I don't understand quite why UI increases power whis never mentioned that but a seemingly base Goku with UI mode can really get punch jiren where a ss3 he let punch him all over and felt nothing.
As far as I can tell, UI can be achieved through training but its something that takes many, many years to get down. Beerus has trained under Whis for millions of years but still hasn't quite mastered UI. Goku on the other hand activated UI through being powered up by the Genki Dama, something of a forcible 'start up' of the technique. It may take a combination of God Ki + training + massive absorption of energy to fully activate and master.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think: