Could SSRage be connected to SS3?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Could SSRage be connected to SS3?

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Anyone wonder how SSRage fits into all of this? It just feels like the random form that doesn't connect to much.

We know SSBlue is the Super Saiyan version of SSGod. We know Vegeta has the Evolution of SSBlue. We know SSRosé is a different version of SSBlue.

SSRage feels like it should be connected to the yellow-haired forms. Could it be the equivalent of a yellow-haired Super Saiyan 4? Future Trunks just surpassed SS3 during the fight with Goku Black and SSRage is connected to SS2 and SS3 like an SS4?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: Could SSRage be connected to SS3?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:06 pm

I think it's the result of a half breed Saiyan gaining God ki, the half breed equivalent of Super Saiyan Blue. And there might be some half breed equivalent of Super Saiyan God that we haven't seen yet, where you have regular hair, slim down body, red eyes, and fire aura.
Caulifla best girl! :)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:13 pm

I don't think even Toriyama knows the answer to that :D

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:15 pm

mute_proxy wrote:I don't think even Toriyama knows the answer to that :D
Like he worked on it :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Obviously, we know that SSRage is the power of rage. It's in the name and the foundation of the form.

It could be that SSRage is the "proper" successor to the Super Saiyan line of transformations, formed through intense rage when a Saiyan has already gotten rage boosts that have unlocked new levels of the Super Saiyan transformation.

The reason it's so strong is likely because, well, Future Trunks himself has gotten incredibly strong.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:47 am

I like to think of it as a "Super Saiyajin 4", except for the golden-haired forms. Something like this...

Super Saiyajin 1 (Gokū, Vegeta, Gohan, Future Trunks, Trunks, Goten)
Super Saiyajin 2 (Gohan, Gokū, Vegeta, Future Trunks)
True Super Saiyajin 3 (Future Trunks, the form he used when sparring with Gokū in the manga)
True Super Saiyajin 4 (Future Trunks, the form he used against Black in the anime)

I know it almost certainly isn't, but, for consistency, I like to think of it that way. I personally don't think it's connected to Super Saiyajin 3, but it may be the anime's version of the "true" continuation of Super Saiyajin 2 the way the manga uses Trunks' powered-up Super Saiyajin 2 I call True Super Saiyajin 3/Upgraded Super Saiyajin 2.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Its Trunks "breaking through his own shell to a deeper potential within himself"

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Black Hawk wrote:I like to think of it as a "Super Saiyajin 4", except for the golden-haired forms. Something like this...

Super Saiyajin 1 (Gokū, Vegeta, Gohan, Future Trunks, Trunks, Goten)
Super Saiyajin 2 (Gohan, Gokū, Vegeta, Future Trunks)
True Super Saiyajin 3 (Future Trunks, the form he used when sparring with Gokū in the manga)
True Super Saiyajin 4 (Future Trunks, the form he used against Black in the anime)

I know it almost certainly isn't, but, for consistency, I like to think of it that way. I personally don't think it's connected to Super Saiyajin 3, but it may be the anime's version of the "true" continuation of Super Saiyajin 2 the way the manga uses Trunks' powered-up Super Saiyajin 2 I call True Super Saiyajin 3/Upgraded Super Saiyajin 2.
I like this interpretation of it considering the amount of attention that SSJ2 has gotten in Super. It also makes it seem like SSJ3 was more of a fluke of a transformation rather than being the proper way to ascend as a Super Saiyan.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:57 am

Almighty Majin wrote:I like this interpretation of it considering the amount of attention that SSJ2 has gotten in Super. It also makes it seem like SSJ3 was more of a fluke of a transformation rather than being the proper way to ascend as a Super Saiyan.
I really like the idea of SSJ3 being an "oops" ascension from SSJ2, given Gokū was dead and not restrained by a living body; it makes sense that he'd end up changing something unknowingly as a result. Future Trunks inventing the "true" advancement of SSJ2 is something I'd be very fond of, considering we got to see Gokū and Vegeta follow Gohan's SSJ2, surpass Gohan's SSJ2, then get surpassed by Gohan's Ultimate all in the Boo arc; meanwhile, we didn't get to keep up with Trunks until he returned in Super. It's nice that he gets something so major as "the right way", if that makes sense. Plus, it also sort of raises an implication that, had Gohan continued his training after defeating Cell, he'd likely have achieved the same upgraded SSJ2 as Trunks.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 am

I mean maybe? Goku achieved SS3 because of the other world training. I doubt Trunks did the same kind of training while he was at his own timeline. SSRage seems more closely connected with SS2 due to the appearance.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:12 am

mute_proxy wrote:I don't think even Toriyama knows the answer to that :D
That's because it wasn't his idea. All they should've done is just given him Ssj3 instead of this god knows what it is form he has.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:49 am

I personnaly see the SSRage/Ikari as a Super Saiyan 2 grade 2.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:11 am

I think it has some connection with the big muscled Super Saiyan, as if he taps on the form’s power without the drawnbacks. You can see his muscles increasing and then shrinking when he is the middle of completing the transformation.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:20 pm

SS Rage is a transformation exclusive to the anime and doesn't appear in Toyotaro's manga even though Toriyama was involved in that much more. The entire Zamasu arc where Trunks learns the mafuba, spirit bomb, and a new transformation was for entertainment and now they can sell a new action figure for SS Rage. However, to actually make sense of it, it seems that Trunks combined the slow SSJ Grade III and SSJ2 together to form a SSJ2 Grade II. Trunks is most likely stronger and more buff like Grade III with the added advantage of the SSJ2 speed but still overall weaker than SSB or other forms that have god ki. In the manga, Trunks' SSJ2 was on par with Goku's SSJ3, so it already says that his SSJ2 is on a much higher grade. Goku and Vegeta didn't spend time improving SSJ2 since they have SSB now.

The same goes for the more recent SSB Evolution form of Vegeta. It's Toei's attempt to create Mastered SSB. The same events in the manga won't even show any new transformations besides UI (which is now considered a transformation). Instead, the manga will most likely show Goku and Vegeta in their mastered SSB forms fighting Jiren.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm

I wonder if what we know as SSj3 is really just "SSj2 Grade 3" (complete with a crippling downside like SSj Grade 3's speed loss) and what Trunks got was the actual Super Saiyan 3. I mean, "Super Saiyan 2" and "Super Saiyan 3" were just names Goku came up with on a whim when explaining the forms to Babidi, so who's to say the natural progression of Saiyan forms isn't different from what he thought?

So basically... Trunks mastered SSj2 rather than unnaturally pumping extra power into the form to get long-haired SSj3, and as a result was able to reach the true next level up which Goku and Vegeta never figured out.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 pm

I don't think it's connected to anything really, it's a weird form mixed with everything.

He buffs up at first into the USSJ form then shrinks back down into the SSJRage, so is it some kind of fusion between USSJ and SSJ2?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It doesn't explain the blue aura that is only seen on SSJB, so is it God Ki with SSJ2 or a Hybrid Saiyan type of SSJB? It needs perfect Ki control and focus but he acquired the form when he was so pissed and looks kind of like he lost control because Zamasu was being a meanie head, so is it SSJB without proper training?

I'm going with SSJB without proper Ki control and focus, as np hybrid Saiyan has had a weird sort of alteration to any SSJ form to date yet.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun May 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Super Saiyan Rage is just a powered up version of Trunks’s Super Saiyan 2. It’s the power of his rage with his strongest form - Super Saiyan 2. It’s nothing more, nothing less.