Alternative Character Interpretation Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Alternative Character Interpretation Thread

Post by Tian » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:29 am

TV Tropes defines this as "When a character is subject to multiple interpretations about precisely who they are and what makes them tick".

Here's an example of mine :

When Piccolo saved Gohan from Nappa's blast...
It's obvious he did because he got attached with Gohan enough to sacrifice himself.

But I think he had another intention : Piccolo did it to motivate Gohan to fight the Saiyans. So when he saw Nappa attacking Gohan, he thought sacrificing himself would be the trigger to Gohan's anger which would let the latter to attack with no fear.

So, do you guys have any alternate interpretation for a character?

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Alternative Character Interpretation Thread

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 am

Vegeta's probably a good candidate for this. When #20 wrecked Bulma's flying car, Vegeta made no effort to save her or baby Trunks, presumably because he simply did not care about them whatsoever. And that may well be true. However, I always felt maybe Vegeta chose not to save them because he knew the future Trunks (whose identity he had just discovered) would do the job for him, allowing him to maintain his prideful "I don't care" facade.

Goku, of course, also has multiple reasons for doing the things he does. He gives Piccolo a Senzu in order to keep Kami-sama alive, but his real motivation is obviously wanting to keep a powerful rival around to keep having exciting fights with.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:36 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:Vegeta's probably a good candidate for this. When #20 wrecked Bulma's flying car, Vegeta made no effort to save her or baby Trunks, presumably because he simply did not care about them whatsoever. And that may well be true. However, I always felt maybe Vegeta chose not to save them because he knew the future Trunks (whose identity he had just discovered) would do the job for him, allowing him to maintain his prideful "I don't care" facade.

Goku, of course, also has multiple reasons for doing the things he does. He gives Piccolo a Senzu in order to keep Kami-sama alive, but his real motivation is obviously wanting to keep a powerful rival around to keep having exciting fights with.
I've always thought the same thing. He likely assumed that the other Z-fighters would save Bulma for him.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Do you believe Goku hid SSJ3 from Vegeta in the Buu arc to avoid breaking his pride?