Who was more gorgeous, Caroni or Zarbon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Who was more gorgeous, Caroni or Zarbon?

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:36 pm

At first glance I would have assumed it was Zarbon. But I was watching DBZ ep 176 today, and noticed that Caroni is actually officially the most gorgeous man in the world.

As I understand it, the term "world" is one of those difficult to translate terms, but it can potentially refer to the entire universe. Like how human can actually refer to saiyans, Ginyu, or anything at all which is humanoid and/or not a god.

So is this confirmation that Caroni was in fact THE most gorgeous man in Universe 7?

Bonus Question:

How do you think the most gorgeous men of Universe 7 (Caroni, Zarbon, that Hercules guy from Pikkon filler) would stack with the most gorgeous men of the other universes? Would we be top tier? Is Caroni our Jiren?

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Who was more gorgeous, Caroni or Zarbon?

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:02 pm

He's just the typical stereotyped blonde. Zarbon is much more interesting visually.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 am

Like how human can actually refer to saiyans, Ginyu, or anything at all which is humanoid and/or not a god.
...except that "human" isn't actually used to refer to anything humanoid and not-godly.

The Japanese word "ningen" is, but insisting on translating it as literally "human" in every single circumstance the word's used is just a case of sticking to an awkward literal translation for the sake of... I don't even know what. You can't call it "accuracy" or "faithfulness to the original" when your translation of choice ignores the most obvious meaning in favor of being overly literal, after all -- it's like insisting on calling Trunks "Tolankusu" and Vegeta "Bejiita" even though we know their names are puns off of English words that aren't spelled like that.

"Ningen" is used in a lot of situations where the English language would use a word like "people" or (as seen with Zamasu) "mortals," not just in Dragonball but in a lot of other anime/manga series. I specifically remember a line in Soul Eater where Death the Kid -- who is explicitly NOT "human" -- is referred to as one of a group of "people (ningen) from the academy," and several lines in episodes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure I watched recently would sound perfectly natural if the word "ningen" is translated as "people," but super awkward and wrong if it's translated as "human." It's even used in Japanese translations of English expressions that use "people/person/man" rather than "human," so obviously it can translate to those terms too.

Also... from looking it up a bit more just now, it seems that the word's origins are from the term "human world" in Buddhism (as opposed to Hell, the worlds of the gods and demons, etc.; should sound familiar considering Dragonball's setup of the mortal universe, afterlife, Demon Realm, and Kaioshin realm) and it doesn't actually have much of the biological connotation (as in, referring to Homo sapiens the species rather than people/intelligent beings in general) that the English word "human" does. Basically every translation/online dictionary site lists "man" and "person" as translations alongside "human." So translating it as "human" EVERY TIME seems pretty silly in situations like Ginyu talking about being "the type of ningen who can change bodies," or Vegeta reverting from great ape to ningen form, or Zamasu wanting to kill all ningen. In terms of what-sounds-right-and-makes-sense-in-English, I'd go with "person" or "being" as a translation for ningen Ginyu's line and "humanoid" or even "man" (as in "man vs. beast") for Vegeta's usage, personally... and of course "mortals" for Zamasu, as almost everyone has already latched on to.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:23 am

Zarbon > Caroni all day for me.

Potential "Gorgeous Boys" Team Universe 7, leaving out movie characters:

Zarbon, Caroni, Gohan, Yamcha, Future Trunks, Android 17, Spice? Jeice? Pigero? Jewel?

Suppose you could argue Goku should be including as he's attracted his fair share of women.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Jeice is more handsome heck even Barry Kahn top them :D
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Zarbon is the most pretty man in the series. Caroni may have roses and pants straight out of a hairmetal band, but he ain't got nothing on Zarbons circlet and cape.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:04 am

Zarbon.

Bullza wrote:Image

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 am

Omniboy wrote:Zarbon.

Bullza wrote:Image

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
:lol: :lol: :lol: