Headcannon

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Headcannon

Post by DBSEng » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Recently I was talking to my buddy about Dragon Ball Super and anime as a whole. He then mentioned something interesting to me. He said his own headcannon for the series was that for him DBZ ended right at the end of the Cell Games. This interested me and I started to think of some headcannon ideas that I had. But, I couldn't really think of some so I figured I might as well ask around :lol:
Hi, I'm "Dragon Ball Super English Dub" (Weird name huh)
YouTube Channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6-T-d ... DJdMCUUJyg
My current project is- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44656
Discord- https://discord.gg/vQ8V8z

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Headcannon

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Before anyone else comments on the subject as a whole, Headcanons are fun but it is of course important to realize that headcanons are ultimately non-canon.

With that out of the way, one of mine is that Goku would not have been able to use the Flying Nimbus after he faced Tambourine because his heart wasn't pure; he was dead-set on revenge via death which feels very impure to me. Along the same lines, Goku gets the Nimbus back after surviving the test with the Ultra-Divine Water and readying himself for the rematch with King Piccolo.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Goku has a traumatic brain injury and learned to adapt around it. He hit his head and was literally in a coma when he was a baby. He woke up with a totally different personality, which sometimes happens to people with that kind of injury IRL.

His gaffes with social interaction and anything not related to fighting aren't solely from growing up in the mountains without much education.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 am

My headcannon is what the original series was, before Super or any of the movies such as BOG and ROF existed. Basically between the Buu arc and the 28th Tournament, nothing special happens, no big crazy power ups, no illogical or nonsensical scenes or power scaling, etc. Just ends in the Buu arc and that's it until the 28th tournament. Only that.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:31 am

DBSEng wrote:He said his own headcannon for the series was that for him DBZ ended right at the end of the Cell Games.
lolwut

That's conceptually, factually, and evidently wrong. I don't know how anyone can try and convince themselves of such lies

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:25 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
DBSEng wrote:He said his own headcannon for the series was that for him DBZ ended right at the end of the Cell Games.
lolwut

That's conceptually, factually, and evidently wrong. I don't know how anyone can try and convince themselves of such lies
Overall it’s non-cannon but that’s the way he imagined the series.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 pm

My headcanon (not headcannon, because I didn't have a tank for a parent :lol: ) is that Goku's mastery of the Ultra Instinct starts to make him feel lost, in a sense, as all he has to do is take this power further and he'll be the strongest around in no time.

My headcanon belief is that this will lead Goku to wanting to see what Uub is about, as he'll have grown an appreciation for starting out strong but not the strongest around; his massive power growth in Super will lead him down the path of becoming a mentor to Uub.

DBSEng
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBSEng » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:07 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:My headcanon (not headcannon, because I didn't have a tank for a parent :lol: ) is that Goku's mastery of the Ultra Instinct starts to make him feel lost, in a sense, as all he has to do is take this power further and he'll be the strongest around in no time.

My headcanon belief is that this will lead Goku to wanting to see what Uub is about, as he'll have grown an appreciation for starting out strong but not the strongest around; his massive power growth in Super will lead him down the path of becoming a mentor to Uub.
I️ actually really love this one.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:41 pm

I've mentioned this one several times before on these forums, but: I like to think Tenshinhan picked up the essentials of the Kaiô-Ken, applied it to the Kikôhô, and that is how the ridiculously powerful Shin Kikôhô was created.

I base this off of the fact that, before he starts training with Kaiô, there is a moment where he thinks to himself: "I can't hope to surpass Goku by doing the exact same thing he did, but if I can master the essentials and add a twist of my own..."

He also talks about Goku's Kaiô-Ken at one point, so he definitely knows the technique exists - therefore it would be completely in-character for him to try to learn it. And with his talent for learning techniques (he copied the Kamehameha and Mafûba after seeing them only once or twice), I don't see how he wouldn't master it at least a little bit.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:25 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:I've mentioned this one several times before on these forums, but: I like to think Tenshinhan picked up the essentials of the Kaiô-Ken, applied it to the Kikôhô, and that is how the ridiculously powerful Shin Kikôhô was created.

I base this off of the fact that, before he starts training with Kaiô, there is a moment where he thinks to himself: "I can't hope to surpass Goku by doing the exact same thing he did, but if I can master the essentials and add a twist of my own..."

He also talks about Goku's Kaiô-Ken at one point, so he definitely knows the technique exists - therefore it would be completely in-character for him to try to learn it. And with his talent for learning techniques (he copied the Kamehameha and Mafûba after seeing them only once or twice), I don't see how he wouldn't master it at least a little bit.
I really like this one!

If I were to give my own headcanons, they'd be along the lines of Red and Blue forms not being Super Saiyans, or Tien being the one to attain Ultra Instinct since it seems fitting for a pure martial artist like himself, it would probably not make him too OP since he wasn't very strong already but would give him much better staying power in the series again, plus I think Goku and co have way too many transformations already...

But that's not nearly as fun as Trevelyan's! Hope to see more like that pop up.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Prince of Vegetables

Post by Prince of Vegetables » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 pm

My headcanon is that Jiren is actually Yamoshi.
Ossu! Ora Gokū

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

My headcanon is that Gohan is Goten's real father.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 pm

dragon boss z wrote:My headcanon is that Gohan is Goten's real father.
In case it needs to be said, Chi-Chi is Goten's mother.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
I know, she got lonely and only had Gohan.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I know, she got lonely and only had Gohan.
-backs slowly out of the thread-

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Headcanon is all fun and games until you try to use it to rationalize something in a debate. That's a no-no and I'm gonna hit you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am

Logania wrote:Headcanon is all fun and games until you try to use it to rationalize something in a debate. That's a no-no and I'm gonna hit you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
I prefer Yamcha's baseball bat myself.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am

My headcanon is that Z and Super is one big dream and none of it happened.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller