Verbalizing attack/technique names

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheZFighter
Regular

Verbalizing attack/technique names

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Potentially a dumb question, but I can't recall this ever being addressed anywhere else...

You know how he characters will go "KA-ME-HA-ME-HAAAAA!", "TRI-BEAM-HAAAAA!" or "SOLAR FLARE!".

Is calling out an attack or techniques name in any way required "in-universe", or is it more for our benefit?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Attack/ technique names

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Shouting attack names is an extension of a standard kiai. We have seen characters use proper-noun-attacks — namely the Kamehameha — countless times without it having to be verbally announced.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:00 pm

^What the good mod said.

Shouting is a very well-defined aspect of real-life martial arts, used to help amplify one's movements due to the mechanics of breathing intake/exhalation.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 pm

It's kinda both. In Dragon Ball Krillin tests out performing a Kamehameha, saying "All you have to do is put your hands together and say Kamehameha!" (dub line, apologies) as he does it, and it immediately makes a little ki puff at the end. So that implies that some level of verbalization is required. I always took being able to do it without saying anything as a mark of having mastered the move, kinda like in Harry Potter with spells.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Nah, it ain't required. It's for the audience's benefit, like you said.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Verbalizing attack/technique names

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 am

In Fused Zamasu's case, it obviously derives from his endless ego and vainglorious personality, so it makes sense that he would name and announce his attacks prior to using them.