Vegeta should be phased out now

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vegeta should be phased out now

Post by Khandom101 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:LET ME PREFACE THIS BY SAYING THAT I AM A HUGE VEGETA FANBOY SO IF ANYTHING I AM BIASED FOR HIM

Since the end of Z, Vegeta started on his redemption path, fighting for people other than himself. Obviously he sacrificed himself for his son and wife, but he didnt let go of his massive ego one bit.

Come into Super, Vegeta started by keeping his promise to Trunks, swallowed his ego to get Whis to train him and became much softer towards everyone, including Goku. He took another universe's saiyan has his pupil, taught him to go SSj. He even opened up to his son from the Future.

But his character arc came to an end in ToP. He didnt want to train to be with his wife before his daughter was born. He even worked to get Cabba and Saiyans resurrected, even unlocked a new form from his emotional state. Started Working WITH Goku to save his Universe. Didnt give up his pride, but mixed it with his emotions and beat a GoD. till his last second he went on to protect hos family and cared for his student. Even when he failed, he gave his energy to Goku and then put his full faith on him. All of this, he never did before.

Honestly, he has done everything. His character arc is complete. He has nothing left to achieve that cant be achieved from the sidelines, like training Cabba.

Also, Goku and Vegeta partnership has sailed. Today we saw Goku and Freeza fight together. And that filled me up with much more emotions than seeing Vegeta and Goku fight together. Vegeta doesnt get me excited anymore. Whatever his character was destined to achieve, he already did. There's nothing more he can offer to the series.

Goku is a simple character. He only likes fighting. Which is also why it doesnt get stale. But Vegeta should now ride off into the sunset. Maybe its time for Uub to shine.
You're right Vegeta is quite boring now.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
sintzu wrote: I'm not saying he hasn't done anything, just that him getting his own arc would be new.
Black arc was basically his, especially in the manga.
I mean he beat Black which, while being one of the most signifcant victories in his history, as far as combat goes that is kind of all he did. He did have those cool interactions with future trunks and what not, I would by no means call it his arc.(atleast in the anime I haven't read the manga and I probably never will) If anything it was Trunks' arc because he got a new form and defeated the final villian

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 pm

PFM18 wrote:If anything it was Trunks' arc because he got a new form and defeated the final villian
None of that happened in the manga. Goku didn't even get to fight Black.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 am

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:If anything it was Trunks' arc because he got a new form and defeated the final villian
Well he said "it was basically his arc,especially in the manga" implying that in the anime it was also his arc just not to the same extent. So I mentioned things that happened in the anime

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 am

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Well he said "it was basically his arc,especially in the manga" implying that in the anime it was also his arc just not to the same extent. So I mentioned things that happened in the anime
The anime's version is very Trunks centric compared tot he manga.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:47 am

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Yeah I wasn't referring to the manga and it looks like he was referring to both.

The manga decided to randomly give trunks healing powers,Goku the Hakai, and Merged Zamasu can clone himself for no reason so I am not a big fan.

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and puke out a better story than Toyotaro

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 am

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Yeah I wasn't referring to the manga and it looks like he was referring to both.

The manga decided to randomly give trunks healing powers,Goku the Hakai, and Merged Zamasu can clone himself for no reason so I am not a big fan.

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and puke out a better story than Toyotaro

Seconded. Toyotaro should stick to art only.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Dude. Uub won't be in the picture until Super is finally complete (it's not done yet btw). Also, while I do agree that Vegeta's character has developed a lot more during Z. I disagree with you saying that Vegeta should be on the sidelines. Gohan, Piccolo, Goten, Trunks have no new character development, their honestly the ones being phased out. (Gohan with a family, Piccolo being an uncle, Krillian and his family, Goten going to school and having no interest in martial arts.)

Vegeta won't be phased out because:

1. He's attained a new form that he hasn't mastered, there's a lot of potential in it (still a plot line that can be written).
2. He can still train Cabba to achieve SSB. (Since I believe he is stronger than his own son Trunks; he has more potential TBH.)
3. There's an entire Saiyan race in U6, so no, still another story line. (He's the Prince of Saiyans in U7)
4. Vegeta is the sole character, always fighting to improve himself, and his constant struggle to surpass Goku. He'll always be the 2nd main character.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:20 am

Sonofman wrote:Vegeta won't be phased out because:

1. He's attained a new form that he hasn't mastered, there's a lot of potential in it (still a plot line that can be written).
2. He can still train Cabba to achieve SSB. (Since I believe he is stronger than his own son Trunks; he has more potential TBH.)
3. There's an entire Saiyan race in U6, so no, still another story line. (He's the Prince of Saiyans in U7)
4. Vegeta is the sole character, always fighting to improve himself, and his constant struggle to surpass Goku. He'll always be the 2nd main character.
5- He's the only character in the franchise who can keep up with Goku.
6- He's too popular and is the story's 2nd main character.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:28 am

I wouldn't say Vegeta is the only one. More appropriately, he's the only other fighter whom Toriyama is willing to offer any long-term investment for. All the tools necessary to make a comeback already exist for the once noteworthy Z-warriors. Why Toriyama doesn't choose to give them a much needed hand-up is anyone's guess. Maybe his tastes in storytelling have changed to where he prefers duets over an ensemble cast? Perhaps in his eyes, it would be too burdensome to write for 5-6 additional protagonists throughout their journey to grow and cultivate their fighting ambitions. Having Piccolo and the earthlings zip throughout the air with Kaioken auras trailing behind them might be a bit much, in his eyes. On the other hand, it's possible that he just doesn't remember anything about them or these tools. He may not have put the puzzle pieces together in order to realise the potential they still have. I'm personally leaning towards the latter explanation. It's a bit revolting, but what are you going to do?

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:34 pm

If Vegeta is going to be phased out, then who would be his replacement?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Exline wrote:If Vegeta is going to be phased out, then who would be his replacement?
No one as the only one who can keep up with Goku is another full blooded Saiyan. Freeza and Hit are nowhere near as strong as Goku or Vegeta. Jiren left Vegeta in the dust but so did Goku to him so as of now the only one who can give Goku a good fight is another Saiyan who can use UI and so far Vegeta is the only one who can reach it.

Super ended with both fighting, saying they have unlimited potential and that they won't let the other get ahead. Goku and Vegeta are like batman and superman or iron man and captain america, they're the pair that represents their franchise.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Vegeta can just be Goku's friend who fights, not the main rival. Getting kinda old at this point for me honestly.

I know Hit can't be Goku's main rival, because he's from a different universe and fighting him on the regular isn't really a luxury for Goku. The era of "OHOHOHOHO" has arrived.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Honestly, I do not understand what people see on Uub. Even in the GT, where it really was '' explored '', I've never seen it as a great character. But well, everyone has their opinion
The fact that he is the reincarnation of Boo fits more with Z, in which Boo was still the strongest enemy. But now, it's weird to think Goku would care about him.

Well, on the topic, I think the fact that Goku and Frieza fight together is surprising because it's the first time this happens, and Freeza has not become an anti hero and is not an ally of the Z warriors, while Vegeta has already fought alongside of Goku several times and this is nothing new for us.
And Vegeta is not just about '' family ''. He likes to always be improving, and he does not just want to surpass his rival, he wants to surpass everyone (he said this in the beginning of DBS and in the Champa tournament). He is always following Goku (in terms of power), and at times, goes his own way, as he did in the saga Cell and ToP.
He is also a very popular, complex (in DB), and interesting character, so I do not see why his arc would have ended now. Like Goku, he has a lot to explore

I would like to see his relationship with Kyabe and the other Saiyans on the Sadala Planet and he getting the UI

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:34 pm

I think he should feature less prominently because I really am bored with the character now and I don't care for his rivalry with Goku either.

I guess if Freeza joins the group than he'd be a good replacement or introducing a new character to fill that role.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:19 am

Nah, keep Vegeta in. He's integral to the series now, like it or not.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 am

GamerSkull wrote:I think he should feature less prominently because I really am bored with the character now and I don't care for his rivalry with Goku either.

I guess if Freeza joins the group than he'd be a good replacement or introducing a new character to fill that role.
So you would prefer if they made Freeza a part of the main cast?

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 am

This is almost as bad as those "Goku shouldn't be the main character" suggestions

I'm glad the fandom isn't in charge

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 am

PFM18 wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:I think he should feature less prominently because I really am bored with the character now and I don't care for his rivalry with Goku either.

Freeza could take the Loki role.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:

Eh, not really. But I think it might be more interesting than Vegeta being as prominent as he is.

I guess it really just depends on execution.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"