Vegeta should be phased out now

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Vegeta should be phased out now

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 am

LET ME PREFACE THIS BY SAYING THAT I AM A HUGE VEGETA FANBOY SO IF ANYTHING I AM BIASED FOR HIM

Since the end of Z, Vegeta started on his redemption path, fighting for people other than himself. Obviously he sacrificed himself for his son and wife, but he didnt let go of his massive ego one bit.

Come into Super, Vegeta started by keeping his promise to Trunks, swallowed his ego to get Whis to train him and became much softer towards everyone, including Goku. He took another universe's saiyan has his pupil, taught him to go SSj. He even opened up to his son from the Future.

But his character arc came to an end in ToP. He didnt want to train to be with his wife before his daughter was born. He even worked to get Cabba and Saiyans resurrected, even unlocked a new form from his emotional state. Started Working WITH Goku to save his Universe. Didnt give up his pride, but mixed it with his emotions and beat a GoD. till his last second he went on to protect hos family and cared for his student. Even when he failed, he gave his energy to Goku and then put his full faith on him. All of this, he never did before.

Honestly, he has done everything. His character arc is complete. He has nothing left to achieve that cant be achieved from the sidelines, like training Cabba.

Also, Goku and Vegeta partnership has sailed. Today we saw Goku and Freeza fight together. And that filled me up with much more emotions than seeing Vegeta and Goku fight together. Vegeta doesnt get me excited anymore. Whatever his character was destined to achieve, he already did. There's nothing more he can offer to the series.

Goku is a simple character. He only likes fighting. Which is also why it doesnt get stale. But Vegeta should now ride off into the sunset. Maybe its time for Uub to shine.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Vegeta should be phased out now

Post by Helios518 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:35 am

Maybe, not phased out but just appear less. But now we have other characters around Goku's current pl to be relevant now; Gohan, Freeza, and 17. If you want to count other universes than we have Hit, and Geran (though I don't expect Geran to reappear until after the 2018 movie). Hopefully, the characters I just mentioned don't get phased out for at least the next few arcs, especially you, Gohan.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 am

Lmao what? No, there's no way he'll be sidelined and thank God.

He is the main reason I even bother watching this anime.

If you want to sideline someone, sideline boring Goku and pass the torch to Vegeta.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:53 am

Vegeta is now Goku's friend and rival. He is no longer an enemy in any way, but this doesn't mean he should just be done for and he still has a lot to give.
He could actually become the co-main protagonist of the serie and he has sorta been it in Super. I don't want to see Vegeta become the new Piccolo/Tenshinan, and I actually hope that Piccolo will be able to come back stronger instead of keep being Pan's babysitter and Gohan's bodyguard. As for Tenshinan, I don't think he has any chance of ever being among the top fighters, but he could use his experience to raise some outstanding fighters out of his dojo, so I wish he will at least play the role of the master, as they could give him one or two outstanding fighters as his disciples.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 am

Vegeta is my favorite character and I want him dead at this point.

I like retired Vegeta far more than buddy cop Vegeta.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:57 am

emperior wrote:Vegeta is now Goku's friend and rival. He is no longer an enemy in any way, but this doesn't mean he should just be done for and he still has a lot to give.
He could actually become the co-main protagonist of the serie and he has sorta been it in Super. I don't want to see Vegeta become the new Piccolo/Tenshinan, and I actually hope that Piccolo will be able to come back stronger instead of keep being Pan's babysitter and Gohan's bodyguard. As for Tenshinan, I don't think he has any chance of ever being among the top fighters, but he could use his experience to raise some outstanding fighters out of his dojo, so I wish he will at least play the role of the master, as they could give him one or two outstanding fighters as his disciples.
If thats the case Vegeta's character needs to get refreshed. I'm really sick of the emotional drama now.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:59 am

What they should do is simply give him his own adventures that happen alongside Goku's.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:01 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
emperior wrote:Vegeta is now Goku's friend and rival. He is no longer an enemy in any way, but this doesn't mean he should just be done for and he still has a lot to give.
If thats the case Vegeta's character needs to get refreshed. I'm really sick of the emotional drama now.
I agree, but I'm quite sure he won't get the whole emotional drama in the next movie considering it's entirely written by Toriyama, who always writes a great and entertaining Vegeta, in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Don't care for Vegeta's personality -- the only time he was ever appealing to me was when he had humbled himself against Buu and had resigned himself to death prior to his self-sacrifice to protect the people whom he cared about. Afterwards I can't say he's ever captured my attention for very long. I don't care for his Saiyan speciest rhetoric nor does he appear to have anything particularly interesting going for him. Yes, there is the ambition for him to gain Ultra Instinct and catch back up with Goku, but that cat & mouse game has been going on since the Cell arc. I find it repetitious and wish they would phase him out if they're not going to shake up the dynamic. Vegeta still represents the ever pursuant self-entitled visionary who believes himself entitled to one day overtake Goku as the strongest. It's been like that since the BoG arc and it hasn't changed since. If the people behind the scenes were willing to try a different exploration of Vegeta's character and his interaction with Goku and others then maybe something could be done. With the status-quo being like it is, I'm not expect the best.

Unfortunately, no one else seems to have the ambition to become Goku's shoulder-to-shoulder rival companion. Freeza is off in space rebuilding his empire, Gohan only fights when it's absolutely necessary, #17 doesn't appear to have the commitment or time to work alongside Goku, Hit is already beginning to show the tell-tale signs of obsolescence, Jiren is probably going to remain in his universe in order to focus on building up his bond with his teammates, and Piccolo/the earthlings can't seem to do anything because their own drives to become the best appear to have been taken away sometime back in the middle of DBZ. Vegeta is the only one with the time and energy to act as Goku's rival. Furthermore, I think he's become too much of a mainstay to have phased out. I would love to have some other characters become Goku's rival, change the dynamic up a bit. I don't expect that to happen, though. If Toriyama somehow became willing down the line, maybe we could witness a three-way rivalry blossom with some other fighter emerging.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:55 am

sintzu wrote:What they should do is simply give him his own adventures that happen alongside Goku's.
I think they should move Vegeta to being more of a teacher to Cabba. I think that would be really refreshing to see more of. I liked what Super did but there could be more to be fleshed out with Vegeta being a teacher.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Anything without Vegeta automatically becomes far less interesting to me. I thoroughly enjoy anything with him hence why his only significant victory in the franchise in 126 is my favorite episode in the franchise. You're right his character arc progressed in Super enough to where I am not sure it can progress much if any further. But I still like seeing the badass prince in action. Althoigh having mentor-esque roles more frequently wouldnt nrccessarily be a bad thing

So I can't help vehemently disagree.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:15 am

Sadly, it won't happen. For many fans, Saiyans are all they care about, and AK & Toei are aware of this, not to mention they feel very comfortable retreading the same dynamics again and again (the alleged "rivalry").

But I agree with the OP. At this point I only find Vegeta entertaining on his aspect of family man. As a warrior he doesn't offer anything different, and watching him losing against the Final Boss of each arc hold no impact at this point. Not to mention his trite and eye-rolling speech about Saiyan pride.

But we'll have to endure those things for a long time, I fear.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 am

Mercenary wrote:Lmao what? No, there's no way he'll be sidelined and thank God.

He is the main reason I even bother watching this anime.

If you want to sideline someone, sideline boring Goku and pass the torch to Vegeta.
They should sideline both of them for an arc

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am

There's still Planet Sadala for him to visit and possibly expand more on his relationship with Cabba. But, yeah, there really isn't much left for Vegeta to do as far as character goes, or even in combat. He's done virtually everything.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 am

Lord Beerus wrote:There really isn't much left for Vegeta to do as far as character goes, or even in combat. He's done virtually everything.
He still hasn't been the star of his own arc, although Super's RF retelling got close. Hopefully he will be in a potential Sadal arc.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:13 am

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:There really isn't much left for Vegeta to do as far as character goes, or even in combat. He's done virtually everything.
He still hasn't been the star of his own arc, although Super's RF retelling got close. Hopefully he will be in a potential Sadal arc.
While i really dont want a Goku show, even a Vegeta only arc doesnt hold a ring anymore

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:19 am

sintzu wrote:
Just because he hasnt been the "star" doesnt mean he hasnt had a fuckton of spotlight. He's been pretty much the secondary MC in all of DBS.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Just because he hasnt been the "star" doesnt mean he hasnt had a fuckton of spotlight. He's been pretty much the secondary MC in all of DBS.
I'm not saying he hasn't done anything, just that him getting his own arc would be new.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 pm

sintzu wrote: I'm not saying he hasn't done anything, just that him getting his own arc would be new.
Black arc was basically his, especially in the manga.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Black arc was basically his, especially in the manga.
I was talking more about the anime but you're right when it comes to the manga.