How Would A Shin/Goku Potara Fusion Have Affected The Story?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

How Would A Shin/Goku Potara Fusion Have Affected The Story?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Suppose a turn of events lead to Bootenks not wasting any time and either successfully killed Gohan quickly or absorbed him, this leaving Goku's next best fusion partner being Shin upon Rou Kaioshin informing them of Gohan's demise and the abilities of the potara. How would events from there on out have gone down with this interesting fusion? Would Gokushin have been able to defeat Super Boo in the event of reverting to Buccolo or upgrading to Boohan? If so then would Gokushin have used the Namekian DBs to bring everyone back to life and then defuse? Would this change in history have prevented Beerus from having his dream about the SSJG? Would Beerus actually prefer that Shin stay fused with Goku so that he isn't such a liability to Beerus' own existence? How would things turn out in any of DBS's arcs if this fighter decided to stay fused?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: How Would A Shin/Goku Potara Fusion Have Affected The Story?

Post by Lionel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:45 pm

I prefer "Shinku" myself. For your question -- the arrogance of Vegetto may not exist with this character since a large part of what exacerbated the Saiyan's mindset was the arrogance of what seemed to be a dominant component of its being. Shin held some preconceived notions about the power of mortals, but when push came to shove he was wanting to focus on the bigger picture. I would compare him to Future Trunks, except maybe a bit more accident prone.

The power of this fusion is going to be contingent on how strong you think Shin is. I personally consider him to be within the realm of the Buu arc Super Saiyans, albeit not quite on their exact level. If the boost were comparably amplified like Vegetto's then a hypothetical SSJ Shinku could still be enough here, though I imagine the gap would be far less pronounced and the best scenario for the fusion would be maybe "Goku vs Cell" with Shinku in Cell's position. Super Saiyan 2 would be necessary if he wants the kind of overwhelming domination he enjoyed in the manga.

More realistically, I question the efficiency of this merging. Kibitokai in the manga was scarcely more powerful than Shin. In fact it looked as though he were still inferior to Vegeta as he was shooed away like he was one of the helpless civilians who couldn't do anything for the fighting duo at the moment; nevermind that his psychic abilities should have been strengthened and may have been powerful enough to handle an SSJ3 tier fighter at this point if Toriyama cared about such details. Compatibility would be the issue. Shin and Kibito were of the same species yet look at the result of their merger. I suppose you could rationalise it as the product of a large gap in power existing between the two fusees -- even still, I don't feel comfortable putting it on the same level as Vegetto. If Shinku is powerful enough to win against Buuhan then it's going to require more effort from him.

Suppose Shin's more "rationalist" mindset balances out Goku's barefaced tendencies, it might be argued that his decision would be to avoid any complications by killing Buu and then teleporting to Namek in order to use their Dragon Balls. Everyone who was rescued was killed shortly afterwards anyway. Shinku could avoid that headache and just go straight to the ending. Shortly after his victory, I expect the fusion to dissolve and for the pair to revert back to their original selves (like in the Super manga). Vegeta would arrive in time to see Buu getting killed by this bizarre Saiyan/Shinjin hybrid. If we're to assume that the wish fulfilled by Porunga is worded to mean only those killed by Buu, as was Goku's initial guess in the manga, then everyone except the people whom Vegeta killed and Vegeta himself would be resurrected. Babidi and Dabura would be resurrected in the process. Vegeta would have to return to the afterlife once his time runs out.

Gohan or Gotenks would likely have to hunt the Majin pair down as they're continuing with their falling out with each other. The world is saved but at the price of Vegeta no longer being around. When Beerus awakens to find the Super Saiyan God, it would be Gohan who's entrusted to keep the Hakaishin appeased so that the Earth is spared. Obviously this doesn't work out as planned thanks to Buu's childish antics so Beerus starts to attack everyone. Without that outburst of power from Vegeta, the planet would likely get destroyed before Goku is able to intervene. The Saiyan could choose to make a return trip back over to Namek and request their Dragon Balls, but that's not going to do much good since Beerus would find out about the planet's reconstitution, then proceed to destroy it once more.

I don't think Beerus would have cared enough to place the survival of his own person in the hands of Goku -- the Saiyan hadn't made enough of an impression on the Hakaishin to warrant that kind of trust being instilled prior to SSJG being discovered. Without the Earth and its Dragon Balls, Freeza can't be resurrected. No interuniversal tournament will occur as the original incentive for Champa's declaration of it was to relocate Beerus' Earth to his universe. You're skipping two arcs worth of material in this timeline. Zamasu may or may not go off the deep end. Goku was the boiling point for his misgivings. Without that observation of the ningen violating the "sacred" echelon of deities, Zamasu would have probably continued to serve under Gowasu for a time. Although I suspect his killing of a barbarian on that planet might be the precursor to a long term degradation of his mind.

Zeno would erase the universes anyway as that was his original intention before Goku chimed in with his reminder of the tournament. So I guess the end result is everyone being killed sans Universes 1, 5, 8, and 12. Angels remain as the enigmatic guides who operate independently of the deities.

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: How Would A Shin/Goku Potara Fusion Have Affected The Story?

Post by MaxZ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:56 am

I feel the fusion is likely strong enough to defeat any iteration of Majin Buu. it is also a permanent fusion because Shin is a god, so there is no time limit.