How durable are the Saiyans/Half Saiyans?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

How durable are the Saiyans/Half Saiyans?

Post by ulisa » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Something I’ve been pondering a while is how much damage can Saiyans or Half Saiyans actually take? Does it change depending on their state (fighting versus not)? We’ve seen them get thrown through mountains and only emerge with a scratch or two but we've also seen Goku react with pain when Krillin threw a rock at his head, despite being in Super Saiyan form. So...where does their durability end? Does their pain tolerance increase with transformation or is it something they have to consciously do by raising their ki?

Just some thoughts I’ve been considering...
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: How durable are the Saiyans/Half Saiyans?

Post by Pantalones » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:26 am

we've also seen Goku react with pain when Krillin threw a rock at his head, despite being in Super Saiyan form.
Wasn't this in the 10 days before the Cell Games? The whole point of that was spending all their time as Super Saiyans, since they had mastered the Super Saiyan form and their bodies were so used to it that they were able to act as if they were in their base state, with none of the strain or aggressive feelings that the form originally came with.

So this was definitely a "powered down" Goku despite being in Super Saiyan form, with a power level at least as low as regular base Goku if not suppressed even further down to "just a slightly stronger than normal dude going about my everyday life, not ready to fight at all" levels.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 am

Pantalones wrote:
we've also seen Goku react with pain when Krillin threw a rock at his head, despite being in Super Saiyan form.
Wasn't this in the 10 days before the Cell Games? The whole point of that was spending all their time as Super Saiyans, since they had mastered the Super Saiyan form and their bodies were so used to it that they were able to act as if they were in their base state, with none of the strain or aggressive feelings that the form originally came with.

So this was definitely a "powered down" Goku despite being in Super Saiyan form, with a power level at least as low as regular base Goku if not suppressed even further down to "just a slightly stronger than normal dude going about my everyday life, not ready to fight at all" levels.
Regardless, it was filler. It's during the 10 days before the Cell Games when Goku is dozing off by the river.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:52 am

As shown in RoF, it depends whether their guard is up. If taken by complete surprise, even trivial things like bullets and normal laser guns can hurt them.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:26 am

Hard to say, but remember Vegeta took a Kaiô-Ken x4 Kamehameha to the face, followed by a Genki-Dama to the face, followed by Oozaru Gohan to the face - and lived.

Goku has also survived some serious beatings (albeit thanks to Senzu beans), like having all his limbs broken or a gaping hole in his chest.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:00 pm

I tend to think that being concentrated for battle boosts their durability though whether that’s a physiological reason or due to concentration of ki, I’m unsure. Their tolerance for pain definitely seems to drop if they’re caught off guard. During a battle, seems like next to nothing phases them, outside of a major body injury (I.e. Gohan’s arm at the end of the Cell Games or Goku/Vegeta getting stabbed against Zamasu and Black) however, I’d think if they were in “relaxed” mode small things like stings, thrown rocks, broken bones, would definitely have more of an effect.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:32 pm

ulisa wrote:I tend to think that being concentrated for battle boosts their durability though whether that’s a physiological reason or due to concentration of ki, I’m unsure. Their tolerance for pain definitely seems to drop if they’re caught off guard. During a battle, seems like next to nothing phases them, outside of a major body injury (I.e. Gohan’s arm at the end of the Cell Games or Goku/Vegeta getting stabbed against Zamasu and Black) however, I’d think if they were in “relaxed” mode small things like stings, thrown rocks, broken bones, would definitely have more of an effect.
Even being stabbed like that doesn't keep Saiyans down completely.

Vegeta still managed to jump back up and save Goku and Future Trunks despite being STABBED IN THE CHEST, as did Future Trunks and Goku in later fights.

Saiyans are definitely not Freeza in terms of durability (but then again, who could ever really top FREEZA, the guy who refuses to die despite having no healing factor and being cut into little pieces?), but they sure are tough to keep down. Beat them up over and over, and they WILL get back up!

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:11 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Even being stabbed like that doesn't keep Saiyans down completely.

Vegeta still managed to jump back up and save Goku and Future Trunks despite being STABBED IN THE CHEST, as did Future Trunks and Goku in later fights.

Saiyans are definitely not Freeza in terms of durability (but then again, who could ever really top FREEZA, the guy who refuses to die despite having no healing factor and being cut into little pieces?), but they sure are tough to keep down. Beat them up over and over, and they WILL get back up!
True. Actually, the only time I remember Saiyans being down for the count is being completely crushed (both Vegeta and Goku at the end of their first battle) or having their neck broken (Gohan against Reccoom on Namek) but even those instances, they were able to stay alive long enough to get medical care or a senzu. Kinda makes me wonder if ANYTHING can truly take them down for the count.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:20 pm

ulisa wrote:Something I’ve been pondering a while is how much damage can Saiyans or Half Saiyans actually take? Does it change depending on their state (fighting versus not)? We’ve seen them get thrown through mountains and only emerge with a scratch or two but we've also seen Goku react with pain when Krillin threw a rock at his head, despite being in Super Saiyan form. So...where does their durability end? Does their pain tolerance increase with transformation or is it something they have to consciously do by raising their ki?

Just some thoughts I’ve been considering...
Good question. In my opinion, I don't really think Saiyans/half-Saiyans are that much more durable than the earthling fighters. In fact, most of their durability would come from energy enhancing their resistance to damage on their body parts. Just think of it as a barrier that is invisible, and that the engulfs the entire body, making the person seem durable to an extent.

Ex: When Vegeta was out of energy/stamina during the fight with Jiren, he took on all of Jiren's punches and we can even see that he receives a black eye, while previously in his blue form, he did not get as much damage to himself (just scratches and such).
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:23 pm

Sonofman wrote: Good question. In my opinion, I don't really think Saiyans/half-Saiyans are that much more durable than the earthling fighters. In fact, most of their durability would come from energy enhancing their resistance to damage on their body parts. Just think of it as a barrier that is invisible, and that the engulfs the entire body, making the person seem durable to an extent.

Ex: When Vegeta was out of energy/stamina during the fight with Jiren, he took on all of Jiren's punches and we can even see that he receives a black eye, while previously in his blue form, he did not get as much damage to himself (just scratches and such).
Good point also about their energy; I tend to agree that their ki gives them a barrier of sorts during battle but it can be dropped or broken if their stamina runs out. However, I do tend to think Saiyans and to some extent, half Saiyans are a bit more hardy than humans mainly because Goku as a child before receiving training from Roshi or Kami survives being hit by a car, being shot (multiple times) and getting an ax to the head. He’s shown to experience pain from it but ultimately he survives without major injury. Now, one could argue his grandfather had taught him some ki control but since we aren’t sure and he doesn’t seem to master it until he’s older, I contribute these childhood survivals to his Saiyan blood.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:09 am

ulisa wrote:Good point also about their energy; I tend to agree that their ki gives them a barrier of sorts during battle but it can be dropped or broken if their stamina runs out. However, I do tend to think Saiyans and to some extent, half Saiyans are a bit more hardy than humans mainly because Goku as a child before receiving training from Roshi or Kami survives being hit by a car, being shot (multiple times) and getting an ax to the head. He’s shown to experience pain from it but ultimately he survives without major injury. Now, one could argue his grandfather had taught him some ki control but since we aren’t sure and he doesn’t seem to master it until he’s older, I contribute these childhood survivals to his Saiyan blood.
I know this isn't a video game thread but what you said just now was incredibly interesting, and kinda fits well with the Xenoverse world, which I've been playing both 1 and 2. What you described is basically exactly how it plays out- stamina has a huge key role and if that stamina is broken, my character, being either my Saiyan Banana, my Earthling Derriere or my Frieza character Zero or just about any other one I could make would get their shit kicked in if they were stamina broken and it would take awhile for them to get back up and get their stamina back, so much so that if it happens while low enough on health, that can translate to a KO. And even then, saiyans aside, a built up earthling can take much more damage in terms of durability than someone who's not built for fighting, and especially if they don't know how to manage their ki. Saiyans obviously have a natural predisposition to fighting and it shows, though I also imagine being male or female having a role as females tend to have a lot less health and can't take as much of a beating as male saiyans can. I find myself amazed at how much damage the saiyans can take in the show before getting knocked out- and training definitely has a lot to do with it. I do agree though, having saiyan blood and that predisposition naturally makes one hardier, and if they learn, even better at controlling their ki than a human. I mean it's what they were born to do!
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

For DB characters in general, their durability depends on how much ki they are using on-guard, with their max durability typically being equal to their max attack potency (with some noted exceptions).