Why don't the gods do any fighting?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Why don't the gods do any fighting?

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:35 am

I guess I'm also asking what the purpose of the gods is in the first place. Kaioshin is supposedly able to obliterate Freeza in a single shot, hell, even Piccolo was pissing his pants at the thought of having to fight him, yet we never even see him throw a punch outside of the video games. Same goes for Kaio, he knows how to fight, he knows techniques like the Kaio-Ken and the Genki-Dama, yet he's not even as strong as Nappa. If they're supposed to be protectors of the universe, why are the deities so weak they have to rely on the mortals to do all their dirty work? The GoDs aren't (supposed) to be awake all the time, so it's not like they're supposed to deal with ever major universal crisis. What's the deal here?
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why don't the gods do any fighting?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:15 am

They aren't "Protectors of the Universe" (tm). They are creator gods. And given that, y'know, stuff exists, it seems like they've been doing their jobs.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:21 am

I think it's meant to be an intentional invoke of the "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" trope, mixed with the usual "The Main Characters Do Everything" trope that Dragon Ball has always followed. It seems to be a running joke that all anybody seems to do in Other World and the Realm of the Kais is sit there doing nothing, and occasionally staring into crystal balls. They watch and they fret, but they always conclude that "nothing can be done" for their part because they're hopelessly out-powered.

If you keep Super in mind, it could be that this is even an intentional joke on the part of Zeno: making a super-important aetherial heirarchy that has absolutely no power whatsoever (with the exception of King Yemna). I mean, even Earth's Guardian, Kami/Dende, never does anything!

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:33 am

Isn't it established somewhere that the gods we're most exposed to (ie the ones from Universe 7) are explicitly supposed to be incompetent or unlucky? At pretty much every step of the hierarchy, either something went wrong or the god just didn't have a clue, leading to all the problems that have to be solved by Goku and friends.

Like, I'm pretty sure Beerus slumbering for centuries is something only he does, while all the other Gods of Destruction (particularly the four high-ranking ones exempt from the Tournament of Power) are busy and active all the time. Presumably in those universes, they're actually dealing with dangerous threats like Freeza and Buu before they get out of line.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:43 am

The Supreme Kais are not supposed to fight. They must nurture life and watch over mortal civilizations, helping them grow, develop. The Gods of Destruction are those who must fight if these mortal civilizations start to pose a threat to the World of Gods. Gowasu himself explains this: 'learn your place [to Zamasu], only the Destroyers are allowed to lay a hand on mortal civilizations'.This is why Zamasu rebelled against the Gods and tried to overthrow the current system; because he couldn't stand that all the Supreme Kais did was watch passively, relying constantly on the intervention of the Gods of Destruction. And, as you said, there are times when the God of Destruction is asleep, in which case the Supreme Kai is alone (this is the case in Universe 7, I think it's the same in Universe 10 because where was Rumsshi when Zamasu backstabbed Gowasu?). But Gowasu and the others don't care... because 'MORTALS CAN CHANGE SO THEY ARE TOTALLY LAWFUL GOOD!!!'. It's horrible to think that beings who have the power to defeat evil... simply watch and do nothing because of their law. In Zamasu's own words 'How can we call ourselves Gods if we watch this plight and do nothing to stop it?'.

It is a flawed system. You are right. But what can we do about it now? We erased from existence the only Kai who tried to change the old ways and have the Gods act in a more proactive way.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 am

Because it's not in their jurisdiction to be involved into any psychical conflict. The roles of the Gods is to oversee but not intervene. This was subject of debate in-universe in the Future Trunks arc

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:29 pm

I think I've got a good idea what they'd say in response to this question.